Hamilton House was built in 1785 by Colonel Jonathan Hamilton, a prominent merchant. The gardens we appreciate so much today were created by Mrs. Emily Tyson, who purchased the property with her stepdaughter Elizabeth in 1898. Encouraged by their friend Sarah Orne Jewett, they restored the house and landscape. The dramatic setting of the house and gardens above the Salmon Falls River makes this site a beautiful natural location for an event.
Historic New England makes the grounds available to weddings and hopes that functions will draw new audiences to the property, attention to its preservation mission, and encourage appreciation of New England’s historic structures and landscapes.