The DuPage County Historical Museum is housed in what was formerly known as the Adams Memorial Library. The building was erected in 1891 by John Quincy Adams as a gift to the community of Wheaton in memory of his late wife, Marilla Phipps Adams. Designed by Charles Sumner Frost in the Richardsonion Romanesque style, the building was added to the National Register in 1981. In the 1960s, the DuPage County Historical Society recognized the availability of the building as a new and more spacious library was being erected. In 1967 the building opened as the DuPage County Historical Museum.
The Margaret Adams Dunton Auditorium originally functioned as a space for graduation and theater productions for the community. The original oak wood ceiling was restored in the 1900s as well as the colored glass windows on the north and south walls.
Since being under the management of Wheaton Park District in 2008, the Auditorium, located on the second floor, has been available for weddings ,receptions, showers, business meetings, rehearsal dinners, holiday parties, reunions, and fundraisers. The space can accommodate up to 100 guests. A list of pre-approved caterers is available, upon request, to help plan the perfect event.