View User Profile - Eventective - Forums

All Messages By DrRonShapiro

March 14, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Happy Birthday and other Special Event Signs

I have found that presenting honorees with a sign which says Be Nice To Me. Today Is My:
  • 16th, 18th, 21st or no number Birthday
  • Half Birthday
  • Son/Daughter's 16th, 18th, 21st or no number Birthday
  • or other special occasion
followed by the honoree's name is very much appreciated helping to make the event more memorable and fun.

The signs are easy to make using Powerpoint. I use:
  • Word Art for text
  • Clip art for photos of balloons, birthday cakes, smiling faces, etc.
When practical I include the honoree's photograph as well.

The honoree may either display the sign or not as they wish. While I have been told that a number of honorees receiving my signs do display them, the honoree who prefers not to has the option of not displaying it.

Sometimes I personally present the sign, sometimes I send it via email in both .jpg and PowerPoint formats. There is, of course, also the option of sending by regular mail. When printing, I recommend using a high quality Matte paper. I also normally present a few copies.

It is also a nice idea to take photographs of the honoree holding their sign when practical to do so.

A number of Sample Birthday Signs may be viewed in my Photo Album: Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs for a Special Birthday Surprise on SlideShare.

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Education by Entertainment
(c) Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro, 2010
March 14, 2010
Topic:
What are ideas for entertainment for a company picnic?

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Is it a family picnic or an employee's only picnic?

Is this a year in which you want to be having a grand celebration or is it a year to have a great time but on a lower budget?

Ron
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Crocheted her own wedding dress!!

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Very beautiful!!! smile

Ron
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Photographs with Special Messages From The Guests
...to make your event memorable while having fun!!!

Invite each of the guests to bring a sign written or printed on a full size sheet of paper (e.g., 8.5 by 11 inches in USA) with a special message for the honoree to the event. The sign may be hand printed or prepared on a computer and printed. (A heavy paper such as high quality matte should be used as 20 or 24 pound bond is too thin.) Also, have a table set up at the event with plenty of extra paper and markers (and possibly a computer and printer) for people who don't bring a sign or for those who have an additional inspiration for a sign.

The message on the sign may be personal, illustrated with a picture, etc. or it may be as simple as:
  • Happy Birthday, Bill and Sue
  • Congratulations, Sarah
  • You are Awesome, Carol
  • Happy Birthday To My Best Friend Forever, Jenny
  • Bill You Are The Greatest Soccer Player, Ken
  • I am a Winner, Lou
  • Sam You are a Winner, Sue
  • World's Best Friend, Rick
  • Fantastic Mother, Joe
  • Fantastic Father, Sean
  • Best Captain Ever, George
  • Debbie is so fortunate you are her Mom, Steve
  • You are the Best, Ann
  • Very Special Mom To Be, Al.

At the event take photographs of each guest holding their sign, presenting their sign to the honoree (and possibly make a video of the guest telling the story behind their sign as they present it), and of the honoree holding the sign. You might also take a photo of the honoree and guests without the sign. Be sure to take multiple photos of each pose because people do blink and you want a great picture of each. Use high resolution, and take the photos from close enough that the signs can be read easily in pictures.

After the event, make an album for the honoree with the pictures taken and include the original signs in an appendix or a separate album. Hopefully, your honoree will keep these photographs forever ... possibly passing them to the next generation.
Send each of the guests their photos with the honoree, and possibly a electronic copy of the entire album as well. Hopefully, they will add the photos to their albums as well.

Additional Surprise Sign Activity for the Adventuresome Honoree
If you have an adventuresome honoree you might also do a second round of signs and pictures with a new set of signs. For the second round of signs and pictures the honoree will be blindfolded. I would recommend making or purchasing a blindfold or bandanna which is designed for the occasion (e.g., if it is a birthday party the bandanna or blindfold should have nice decorations and say Happy Birthday to add a special finishing touch to the photographs. Also, if using a bandanna line it with foil so the honoree cannot see through it.)

You might have each guest bring a second sign wrapped in a large envelope for this activity or you may wish to make the signs at the party.
Unwrap (or make) the second set of signs after the blindfold is in place and do not tell the honoree what the signs say. As in the first activity above take photos with the presenter with each sign, the presenter and the honoree with each sign, and the honoree with each sign. Try a series of fun poses, of course... but remember not to tell the honoree what the signs say. Collect all signs and place into a sealed envelope after the photos are completed and prior to removing the honoree's blindfold. The party host should then keep these signs to present to the honoree at a later date.

You can now make a surprise album which to present (complete with Slide Show) to the honoree at a special party to view the photo albums. (Or you could send the album if a second party is not practical in the near future.)

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Special Invitations For Surprise Parties

Are you planning a surprise party? If so, and you have time before the event it might be fun for you to include a photograph of the honoree inviting people to the surprise party on the invitation (without the honoree knowing about the party, of course).

One way to do this is to plan an activity at another event in which you would have the opportunity to blindfold the intended honoree, preferably with a bandanna or blindfold which is appropriate for the Surprise Party (e.g., if the party is a birthday party the blindfold says Happy Birthday). You then have several options for taking photos for the invitation:
  • While the intended honoree is blindfolded, have them hold up a number of signs as part of their activity. One of the signs they are holding up is an invitation to their own party!!!
  • You might set up a photograph with the honoree in which the background is a huge event invitation.
  • Both of the above.
You do, of course, need to remember to remove and wrap up the sign and/or backdrop before removing the intended honorees blindfold. All other attendees need to keep the surprise party a surprise.

If you aren't able to fully plan the surprise invite prior to taking the photos or you don't want to be concerned about other attendees discussing the party with the intended honoree, that is OK too. Just be sure you have photos of the honoree holding a sign (and/or with a sign in the background). You can easily erase the content of the sign and replace it with a surprise party invitation as you prepare to produce the actual party invitations.

As another alternative, you can include the photo of the blindfolded honoree on the invitation with wording such as I'm blindfolded in this invitation because the party is a surprise. Remember not to tell me about it.

Sample surprise party invitations are posted in the:
  • Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album on SlideShare.
A photo album showing a "pre-event" in which requisite photos were taken as well as the actual surprise party is also available on SlideShare in the Luana Matos Happy Birthday Surprise Photo Album. The invitation itself is included in the Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album.

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

March 14, 2010
Topic:
Atheist Wedding?

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Amanda,

I noticed the following article on the eventective site: http://www.eventective.com/article/Choosing-a-Wedding-Officiant.html

I'm not an expert on this topic and my beliefs are very different than yours. I cannot verify that the information provided is accurate. I'm sure there is a lot more information to consider than what is presented in this brief article, but the article may provide you with some answers to your questions as a starting point.

Best wishes for a successful and happy future.

Ron
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Engagement Parties

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Sandy,

If you type the keywords engagement party etiquette into a Google Search you will receive pointers to a large number of web sites which deal with the questions you raise.

Of course, according to my thinking, more important than following any or all etiquette guides is doing what feels right for the two of you.

Best wishes for a great future together with much health, happiness and success.

Ron
March 15, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Getting To Know Each Other

One purpose of a family company event (outside of having a great time at the event itself) is to encourage the attendees to get to know each other. A listing of a few very low budget "getting to know you type activities" which I have led at both corporate events such as bring your child to work day and community based events follows. All have been extremely well received.
  • Networking Bingo. Make a game card for every attendee by drawing lines dividing an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper into one inch squares. Fill each square with a descriptor for each attendee such as: in fifth grade, plays golf, likes to cook Italian food, won an award in 2009, starred in school play, worked all night yesterday. Make copies for each attendee. Give attendees a game card and marker as they arrive. Objective for each attendee is to fill the card by getting a person who matches the descriptor to sign a square or two on the card. Maximum two signatures per person per card. Also, need to get contact information (such as name legibly printed and an email address ...or parent's email address) printed on the back for each person signing. Everyone is a winner as small prizes are awarded to everyone filling their cards. Champions are the youngest 5 people to fill their cards (without parent help.)
  • That's My Mom/Dad. Bring group of four to five parents with their kids on stage. Blindfold all of the kids. Kids need to identify their parent based upon asking job related Yes/No questions of the parents. (Parents hold up a Yes/No sign and a moderator announces the answers.) Also, do a round in which the kids need to identify their parents based upon shaking hands.
  • That's My Son/Daughter. Similar to That's My Mom/Dad, except this time the parents attempt to identify their kids based upon school related events and/or handshakes.
  • Championship Networking. Bring the champion Networkers from Networking Bingo on stage. Blindfold them. Ask them to name and describe as many people as they can. Person naming and correctly describing the most people wins.
March 17, 2010
Topic:
Corporate Team Building but with physical limitations...

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi,

Start by making a list of activities that everyone on the team enjoys. Then figure out how putting them all together will make a great day. For example if a few people like to cook, a few people like to play music, a few people like to decorate, and a few people like to drive you could have a "field trip" to a beautiful location where you could have a great meal with nice decorations, and fantastic entertainment.

Also if you would like to do some "game" type activities you will find a lot of them listed on the Activity Page the GeoCities Archive.
March 17, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
The Activity Page

Hi,

About eight to ten years ago a Graduate Student by the name of Christian Itin (now, I believe, a Professor at Humboldt State University in Redding, California) assembled a list of activities on what he called the Activity Page. The work started at the University of Denver and then migrated to Geocities. When Geocities was eliminated this work was archived. It took me a few days to find the URL to the archive, but I think some of the activities may be helpful to you.
March 19, 2010
Topic:
Bring/Take Our/Your Children To Work Day Programs

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Many corporations set aside one day each year, normally in the April to June time frame, in which employees are encouraged to bring their children to work for a day. There is an official organization called Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work® Day Foundation (Take Our Daughters and Sons To Work® is a registered trademark of the Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work Foundation) which sponsors programs and specifies an "official date" for this event each year. In 2013 that date is Thursday, April 25, 2013. Other companies chose a different day. For example, some hold the event right after school summer recess begins. The Foundation does recommend a number of specific programs on their web site.

What's My Job: An Effective Career Orientation Program for Middle School Students is an additional program for bring your children to work day which I recommend and describe on SlideShare (and in ERIC). You may download the PowerPoint Slides and Instructions at no charge. With just a little bit of modification you may customize them for your programs. I find that the What's My Job program holds student's attention, teaches them about some of the professions at their parent's workplace and helps improve student-parent communication!!! While the What's My Job format was motivated by the 1950's and 1960's television show What's My Line? (What's My Line? is a Trademark of Mark GoodsonProductions, LLC, Santa Monica, CA ) the exact process and rules of the program are not identical.

If you would like more information on What's My Job or to discuss ideas for programs involving bringing your children to the workplace you may contact me through my Eventective Listing. Just request a complimentary consultation regarding a bringing children to work day program. Alternatively, you may contact me through my Google profile.

March 24, 2010
Topic:
18th b-day

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Marandalove09,
Help us out a little bit here.
What do you enjoy doing?
Do you/your friends enjoy surprises or do you like to be part of planning all along the way?
What do your friends enjoy doing?
What is your budget? For how many friends?
Have you looked at what other people have done and are presenting on Youtube? Anything look appealing?
Ron
April 13, 2010
Topic:
Military Discounts!!!

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
No Speaker Fees For Events Organized For Family Members of Deployed Military

Hi,

I am a Speaker offering educational TV-Game-Show style presentations for schools, colleges, universities, youth groups, community service organizations, professional organizations, small, mid-size and large businesses.

My focus areas include: career preparation, understanding how people sense, perceive, think, and respond.

Sample presentation titles include:
  • 1) Activities To Facilitate Career Planning and Gaining Meaningful Employment;
  • 2) Career Options With A Psychology Degree;
  • 3) Effective Leadership Involves Working Through Others;
  • 4) Games To Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn And Have Fun!!!;
  • 5) I'm Awesome, But I Have My Limitations;
  • 6) Understanding Human Capabilities and Limitations: An Essential Ingredient For Ethical Management;
  • 7) What Is It Like Working In Industry;
  • 8) What's My Job: An Effective Career Orientation Program For Middle School Students.

My programs are more fun than a typical party and more will be remembered than from a typical lecture.

Please view my listing on Eventective.
My listing includes a photo album with descriptions of selected individual programs and photos from some recent events.

I want to thank the individuals listed above for offering military discounts. I will also offer the 10% discount.

Additionally, I will offer to speak at events primarily intended for family members of military personnel currently deployed overseas for expense reimbursement (no speaker fees) anywhere in the USA (and possibly elsewhere as well) as long as other speakers at the event (if any) will make the same offer for the Spring and Summer of 2010. Contact me directly by pressing the red Contact Vendor button in my Eventective listing for more information.
April 13, 2010
Topic:
Outstanding TV Game Show Style EduTainment For Your Special Events

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi,

I am a Speaker offering educational TV-Game-Show style presentations for schools, colleges, universities, youth groups, community service organizations, professional organizations, small, mid-size and large businesses.

My focus areas include: career preparation, understanding how people sense, perceive, think, and respond.

• 1) Activities To Facilitate Career Planning and Gaining Meaningful Employment
  • 2) Career Options With A Psychology Degree
  • 3) Career Preparation For High School and College Students
  • 4) Effective Leadership Involves Working Through Others
  • 5) Games To Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn And Have Fun!!!
  • 6) I'm Awesome, But I Have My Limitations
  • 7) Optimize Your Effectiveness With Your Customers, Colleagues, Employees and Friends
  • 8) Understanding Human Capabilities and Limitations: An Essential Ingredient For Ethical Management
  • 9) What Is It Like Working In Industry?
  • 10) What's My Job: An Effective Career Orientation Program For Middle School Students.
All of these presentations may be incorporated into my program entitled Special Recognition For A Very Special Person To Help Celebrate Birthdays, Graduations, Anniversaries, Engagements, and Becoming A Parent.

On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic
My programs are more fun than a typical party and more will be
remembered than from a typical lecture!!!

On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic

Please view my listing on Eventective as well as the new Education By Entertainment website.

My listing includes a photo album with descriptions of selected individual programs and photos from some recent events.

I will travel to your event.

Deep discounts for schools, colleges, universities and other not-for-profit organizations.

Contact me directly by pressing the red Contact Vendor button in my Eventective listing for more information.

April 14, 2010
Topic:
THE BIG 50TH BDAY

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Kris,
You might want to look at the Making Events Memorable Forum if you have not done so already.
April 14, 2010
Topic:
Surprise 40th bday party

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Isola,

You might want to look at the Making Events Memorable Forum if you have not done so already.
May 1, 2010
Topic:
Graduation Party (:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
What is your daughter graduating from? College? High School? Middle School? What does your daughter enjoy doing?
May 3, 2010
Topic:
Help I have to plan a party in one week.... I cant find a VENUE

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Lynn, Try: 1) a city park with a shelter in case it rains; 2) a private school; 3) a church or synagogue.
May 6, 2010
Topic:
Birthday/Elementary Graduation Party

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest, Your combined birthday and "graduation" party is a very thoughtful idea and it sounds like it will be a lot of fun. If your daughter and her friends are into music why not contact Tanglewood (and some of the other music festivals in your area) and see what they would like to offer you. If your daughter and her friends are more of the outdoors type why not head up to Vermont. There is a nice boat ride on Route 9. You are also not that far from Cape Cod. An overnight there and a visit to the national seashore would be fantastic. If you are looking towards a couple of hour get together, I do offer a program "I'm Awesome, But I Have My Limitations" which I do with schools that I could share with you. Please contact me via my eventective listing and I can explain it to you or possibly lead it for you. Ron
May 7, 2010
Topic:
baby shower

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi tkros... Whites of Westport right next to the Hampton Inn has all sorts of receptions. It is right off route 195. (I am not connected with Whites or the Hampton Inn.. except that I have eaten at Whites several times.)
May 26, 2010
Topic:
9/18/10 Weddng, Very Near & Very tight budget, Need Help

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Stacey.ch91,
Sorry to hear that your plans did not work out. I don't have any specific recommendations... but here are a few tips to try...
  • Check out summer camps that will certainly be closed by then. It is quite possible that either an organization (e.g., Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts) or a private camp owner may be interested in renting their facility.
  • Check with the Colleges/Universities in your area.
  • Check on Parks in your area.
Best wishes.... Ron
June 2, 2010
Topic:
Shoe theme

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Ritaluvslife,

Why not have a surprise party (or at least part of it) in a real shoe store? It would be a real win/win for everyone:
  • Your daughter should really enjoy it
  • It would provide the store an opportunity to show their latest and greatest shoe line to what are probably amongst the best customers they could ever hope to have.
  • It is novel enough to perhaps be of interest to the local newspaper and or broadcast media features department.
  • Seeing the party would probably attract customers to the store.
All refreshments (cookies, cake, sandwiches, etc.) should be shaped like shoes.

All decorations (flowers, etc) should be shaped like shoes.

If your daughter likes party games:
  • Have a shoe shaped Pinata
  • Have a "Price is Right" style game with Shoes as the merchandise
  • Guess the shoe size by looking at it
  • Guess the shoe weight by looking at it
  • How many jelly beans or peanuts or pennies can you fit in a shoe contest?
  • Guess what shoes you are wearing by feel alone (while blindfolded and to make it more challenging... without touching them with your hands)
Of course you will want to take lots of photographs and possibly videotape part of the celebration. In the Making Events Memorable forum (second and third postings) I recommended some creative ideas in which each guest would bring a sign to the event... and be photographed presenting the sign to the birthday honoree. You might wish to include this activity at your event... with the customization that all signs should have a shoe theme. In the fourth posting on the same forum I make some recommendations about invitations. You might wish to make your invitations as I suggested, only customize what I've suggested with a shoe theme.

Enjoy!!!

Ron
June 18, 2010
Topic:
Special Recognition For A Very Special Person To Help Celebrate Birthdays, Graduations, Anniversaries, Engagements, and Becoming A Parent.

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro

Are you planning a special recognition event at the office, school or home? Please consider incorporating an educational TV Game Show Style program in to your celebration. Topics might include:
  • Career planning and preparation
  • Leadership development
  • Maximizing abilities and minimizing limitations
  • Optimizing your effectiveness
On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic On Topic
  • Your special program will be more fun than a typical party.
  • You will learn and remember more than from a typical class.
  • Your job school/performance may improve!!!
  • Your communication skills may improve!!!
  • Your honoree and guests will most likely be featured throughout the entire program (see sample photos below)!!!
Please contact me through my Eventective listing for a free consultation.

Thank you,
Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph. D.

June 21, 2010
Topic:
Big 3 0 for wife

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Jeron,

I'm not sure what month your party is, but if it is in the "off season" you may be able to negotiate some excellent rates with the beach front hotels and restaurants. Why not take a walk to the ocean front facilities that appeal to you and see what they will offer you. Using my "Entertainment" card I have gotten hotel rates for a fraction of what I would pay in season in Virginia Beach.

If you would like some ideas for preparing invitations, cards, signs and activities for the party you might also take a look at:
All of these show ideas which can be implemented, many for the cost of ink and paper only.

If you have any questions or would like some additional program ideas, please feel free to contact me through my Eventective profile for a complimentary telephone consultation.

Have lots of fun,

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
June 21, 2010
Topic:
Suggestions for Conference Venues

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest,
You might wish to check out:
Good luck!!!
Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
June 22, 2010
Topic:
sweet 16

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Stacy,

Your daughter's Sweet 16 is coming up soon and it is clearly very important to you. On the other hand, you have a limited budget and want to spend your hard earned money where it is most important to you. Here are a few suggestions which may be helpful for you (and possibly your daughter) to do before talking to a planner or a potential venue:
  • Please write down a description of what the perfect Sweet 16 would be like as you visualize it.
  • If you are planning the Sweet 16 to be a surprise for your daughter please write down a description of what the perfect Sweet 16 would be for your daughter.
  • If the Sweet 16 is not a surprise ask your daughter to write her own description.
  • Compare your description and your daughter's. Underline or highlight what is most important. Negotiate any differences.
  • Now, prepare a list of all of the features which you and your daughter associate with a Sweet 16. This list might include: video, photographs, sit down dinner, snack table, beautiful venue, beautiful dresses, evening event, afternoon event, limo with driver, lots of friends invited, special friends invited, lots of family invited, special family invited, live dance music, dj, centerpieces on each table, flowers for Sweet 16, flowers for all guests, fancy decorations, lots of surprises, fancy invitations, etc.
  • Take a piece of paper and fold it in half (left to right)
  • Now fold the paper in half the other way (top to bottom)
  • Unfold
  • Write the words least important on the left, most important on the right
  • Write the words most expensive on the bottom, least expensive on the top
  • Now write each of the features on the piece of paper where they fit best in your judgment and in your daughter's.
  • Use the piece of paper as follows... be sure to do everything in the top right corner (most important, least expensive). Do nothing that is on the lower left (most expensive, least important). The remaining items are negotiable as budget allows.
By following the above, you will save a lot of time in planning... be it working with a planner or doing it yourself. Also, you will be sure that you invest your money where it will be most meaningful to you and will reduce the chances of missing something important.

Please do let me know if i can be of help to you (or if my directions above are not clear). You may contact me through my Eventective profile for a no charge consultation.

Enjoy your very special event... Invest in what is most important to you.

Ron
June 24, 2010
Topic:
Gulf Of Mexico Support Discounts and Free Offers

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
This Forum provides an opportunity for suppliers to make special offers to help communities impacted by the recent series of events in the Gulf of Mexico. The forum may also be used by suppliers making special offers to support fund raisers to benefit wildlife and communities impacted by the recent series of events in the Gulf region even if the fundraisers are not in the Gulf region.
June 24, 2010
Topic:
Gulf Of Mexico Support Discounts and Free Offers

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
No Speaker Fees for events in communities impacted by the recent series of events in the Gulf of Mexico and for fund raising events to benefit wildlife and communities impacted by this series of events

Hi,

• 1) Activities To Facilitate Career Planning and Gaining Meaningful Employment;
  • 6) Understanding Human Capabilities and Limitations: An Essential Ingredient For Ethical Management;
  • 8) What's My Job: An Effective Career Orientation Program For Middle School Students.

My programs are more fun than a typical party and more will be remembered than from a typical lecture.

I will offer to speak at events in communities impacted by the recent series of events in the Gulf of Mexico and for fundraisers to benefit wildlife and/or communities impacted by the recent events anywhere in the USA (and possibly elsewhere as well) for expense reimbursement (no speaker fees) as long as other speakers at the event (if any) and other suppliers (if any) will make the same offer for the Summer and possibly Fall of 2010. Contact me directly by pressing the red Contact Vendor button in my Eventective listing for more information.
June 29, 2010
Topic:
13TH BIRTHDAY

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi N M Pickett,

Have you asked your son what he has done in the past year that was the most fun?

Has your son been to any 13th parties lately? What does he say about them?

Have you spoken with a few of your son's friends? They may have some good ideas for you.

If your son likes sports, you might want to have the party at a sporting event. See if the local sports teams offer specials like putting your son's name on the scoreboard or inviting him to the field to meet some of the players, etc.

If your son likes swimming or boating you might have the event at a pool, lake, ocean, etc.

If your son likes camping, you could organize a camping trip.

If your son likes bowling check with a bowling alley in your area.

You might look at the Making Events Memorable forum right here on Eventective.

You might look at the posting Cards, invitations and Signs for a Special Birthday Surprise on Slideshare. You might also look at the posting A Special Birthday Surprise.

Best wishes...
Let me know if I can be of further help.
Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD.
July 1, 2010
Topic:
its 9 days away!!!

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Congratulations!!!!!
July 1, 2010
Topic:
Photographer

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi HWilder1,
First, I'd like to state that I am NOT a professional photographer, however I do take thousands of pictures each year. At family events people are constantly asking me to take pictures and when I take a walk in a beach or a park I nearly always end up helping a few families by taking a family picture or two. I do take "extra" photos at weddings and events surrounding weddings. I must say I enjoy doing it. I think I do a good job of it... and people do like the photos I take. Indeed, you'll find pictures I've taken (or requested) at some of my programs on this and other web sites.

I do agree with Info, MarvOne, and the 23 year photographer guest that it is unreasonable to expect a talented photographer to use their talent, time and equipment to take wedding photos for you for $500.00.

You may wish to ask a friend to take photos for you, but if you do follow Info's recommendation please don't buy a new camera, hand it to them, and say "Please take photos for me". There is too much risk of not setting up the camera correctly, camera failure, or setting just one parameter incorrectly. Any of these may result in a total failure at your wedding. Equally important, assuming that you are having somewhat of a traditional wedding (e.g., bride has a nice gown) it requires talent to set up each picture perfectly. It also requires several photographic assistants to handle umbrellas, flash, etc for lighting More importantly, it takes years of experience. A picture taken by an amateur with a camera will, in this case, look like a picture taken by an amateur with a camera. Someone who takes class photos, business photos, etc. may also be a good wedding photographer... but they also may not be. I would not hire a "commercial photographer" until I saw their wedding work.

I would offer you the following thoughts:
  • If you are investing in a wedding dress, flowers and all the other niceties of a traditional wedding it is simply worth it to have a professional wedding photographer to preserve the occasion for you for the next 50 or 75 years, and perhaps for your children and grandchildren too.
  • If, on the other hand, you aren't into the formal wedding stuff and you are getting married on the beach with beachware or business dress you might be OK with a friend taking pictures. You won't get the perfect pictures. The shadows and reflections may not be good. The creativity may not be in the photos, but what you get may be "good enough" if your friend with a camera takes photos for you.
  • If you do go with the friend with a camera, please do the following... 1) be sure to have at least 2 friends with cameras take redundant photos. 2) please be sure the friends have taken at least a thousand pictures with the camera they will be using (at least some of which are taken of wedding like settings).
  • Trying to take pictures with unfamiliar equipment may lead to disaster.
  • Finally, if you do go with the "friend with a camera" they should be concentrating on photos during the event. They should not drink any alcohol. They should not sit down to dinner. They should not dance. They should not pass the camera to others so they can be in the pictures. Family members should not encourage them to "participate" in the wedding or reception in any way other than to take pictures. They have a job to do... take pictures.
I understand tight budgets... but I would highly recommend cutting back someplace else.

I do wish you the best in whatever your decisions may be...

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro
July 1, 2010
Topic:
Photographer

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi HWilder1,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. Few people provide feedback... and sometimes I've wondered if comments are read by the person who posted the original question. If I can be of further help to you please don't hesitate to contact me through my Eventective website. (No charge for consultation....)
Ron
HWilder1 wrote:
Dear Dr. Shapiro, thank you for taking the time to write out all your thoughtful suggestions. It is much appreciated.
July 2, 2010
Topic:
Photographer

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Info,

I like your idea of going to the studio... but I would emphasize going to the best one they can afford.. even if it stretches the budget to do so. As you know, it will make all the difference....

My concern with your original comment is that you suggested buying a new camera... and giving it to a competent friend. I was just afraid that someone might interpret this as hand the camera to the friend the day of... or perhaps a few days before the wedding. Even if the friend is highly competent with a different camera, you don't want them learning the camera on the job... That was one reason why i decided to elaborate...

Another alternative would be to contact a nearby photography or design school and see if there are any advanced students available that day. Check their work... it is risky but it may be good. I know someone who did this and was delighted with the outcome. Rhode Island School of Design is, for example, just about an hour away from Mystic, CT.

Ron
July 3, 2010
Topic:
One week and im feeling alone

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
How can we be of help to you???
Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

Hkemps87 wrote:
I have no one to help me, and I have no one to talk to, wedding boards are the only friendsd I have, and all my guests are canceling GAAAHHHH help
July 5, 2010
Topic:
NEW DATE! NOT WORRIED SO MUCH

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi S Barnhart,

I'm pleased you set a new date.

I do have a few planning recommendations which may be of help to you.

I would suggest that you prepare a prioritized list of what is most important to you. Here is a neat tool to get started. You and your fiance may wish to do this together... or do it separately and then compare answers and prepare a combined page. That is up to you. Prepare a sheet of paper as follows:
  • Fold it in half top to bottom.
  • Fold it in half left to right.
  • Unfold it.
  • Write in the upper right box: expensive, very important
  • Write in the lower left box: inexpensive, not very important
  • Write in the upper left box: inexpensive, very important
  • Write in the lower right box: expensive, not very important.
  • Now write down everything you associate with the wedding on this page where it seems to fit best.
  • You now have a great picture that can guide your decisions. Do everything in the upper left, think very seriously about doing things in the upper right. You may wish to do a few things in the lower left box. Do nothing that is in the lower right box.
Next, please call a few of the wedding planners and just talk with them. You may or may not decide to use the planners... but just spending a few minutes with a few of them may really help you a great deal. Worst case, you've lost a few minutes. (I am not a wedding planner, but I do have a lot of experience with corporate planning of really big projects and the technique I've recommended always helps).

I do wish you and your fiance the absolute best. If i can be of help to you feel free to contact me through this forum or my Eventective listing.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 6, 2010
Topic:
One week and im feeling alone

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi H Kemp 87,

Wow!!!

I do admire your moving your entire wedding to the home where your mother resides.

Please do take a few moments to rethink your decision about not inviting the entire family. Is that really what you want to do? Is it a decision you or your fiance may regret eventually? (If you invite them and they don't come... at least you tried...)

In terms of tasks to do... You've made the decision to move your wedding where your mother can make it. You've scheduled that. Big decision. Big effort. Just make a checklist of the remaining tasks to do... arrange them in order of most to least important... and address them in order. Don't be afraid to ask a friend or two to handle some... They may feel honored to be asked. They may not do them as well as you would have under more ordinary circumstances, but does that really matter in the long run?

I wish you the best.

Feel free to contact me through my Eventective listing or by posting here if I can be of help.

Ron

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 7, 2010
Topic:
BEACH WEDDING - MASSACHUSETTS/NH

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Michelle,
The second job is to decide what to do if your wedding day ends up being a rainy day (do you want to reserve a shelter, have a tent setup, have an alternate location, have an alternate time or date... Discuss this with the Parks people.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 7, 2010
Topic:
Had to move the date to next sat causeof fire damage at venue

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Hkemps87,
Wow!!!
As I recall you are having your wedding at a nursing home where your mother resides. If you have empty seats I'll bet some of the residents as well as perhaps, some of the staff who help your mother would be honored to be invited... .
As always I do wish you the best.
Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 7, 2010
Topic:
Halloween Wedding

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Shelklinger,

Eventective established a Forum called Making Events Memorable (under the selection for Parties). In that Forum I have posted 2 suggestions:
  • One of these is called Photographs with Special Messages From The Guests
  • The other is called: Additional Surprise Sign Activity for the Adventuresome Honoree
I would normally associate these activities with a Birthday party or Shower as opposed to a wedding or wedding reception. Your wedding theme is sufficiently different that the traditional one so that these activities might even fit in with the wedding reception. In essence guests would each bring a sign to the event (in your case associated with the Halloween theme) wishing the newly weds the best. You would take photos of the presenters holding their signs, presenting the signs to bride/groom, and then bride/groom holding ther signs. This might be very interesting given your theme. (More details of both activities are presented in the original posting.)

Given you are having all sorts of candies, if you plan on any "games" at the reception I think you might wish to consider having a candy tasting contest as part of your reception program.

Best wishes.

Do let me know if I can be of further help by either posting here or contacting me through my Eventective listing.

Have fun!!!

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 8, 2010
Topic:
cheap Sweet 16 ideas and suggestions!!!!

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Shelby,

Why don't you have your event at a planetarium or if you don't have a planetarium in your community have it in a park? As it gets dark you could have a few (amateur or professional) astronomomers come by with telescopes, etc. and host a program for you all about the stars. I just located a website which may help you to find a few astronomers... through a local astronomy club. Alternatively, try the astronomy department at local college or university. You might also be able to find a "dj" through a local college radio station who might be majoring in astronomy.

It is great to hear about a young lady interested in science!!!!

If you follow through with this be sure to include something about it on the essay on your college applications.

If I can be of further help please feel free to post any followup questions on this forum.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 8, 2010
Topic:
Wedding Reception

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Shanderla,
While I would agree that finding a venue is an important early step, before doing that it would help if you were to:
  • Write down a list of what is most important to you for your reception.
  • Write down your approximate budget for the reception.
  • Do a very preliminary allocation of the budget based upon what is most important to you.
  • Contact a few event planners (obviously some can be found through Eventective) and discuss your ideas as well as the services they might be able to offer you. Will they be able to save you time? Money? Make your life easier? Prevent you from doing what you really want to do for yourself? Be informed before you decide. At worst, you'll probably get an new idea or two you didn't think about and you'll have spent a few hours. At best, you may improve your reception and/or save money.
  • Decide whether you want to hire an event planner or not. If so, check references for the planners you are seriously considering. Be sure the references you are checking are from people who think like you do. For example, if you are a real "do it yourself type" and the reference is from a real "hands off" person you may need to get another reference.
  • If you want to hire a planner do so, if not start looking for a venue which meets your most important objectives within your price range.
While I am not a wedding planner I would be pleased to respond to questions if contacted via this forum or my Eventective listing.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 9, 2010
Topic:
Halloween Wedding

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Shel,

Thank you for your response. I am very pleased that you liked the sign and candy tasting contest ideas. If you would like to see samples of the signs and pictures of people holding them which I described in the Making Events Memorable article please feel free to go to my Eventective listing where a number of these are pictured. You'll also find some samples of these and some additional activities on SlideShare.

If I can be of further help to you by sending you some booklets with additional photos and ideas please contact me via my Eventective account and I'll email you some booklets, etc. (all free, of course.)

Once again, thank you for your very positive response to my earlier posting.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph.D.

shelklinger wrote:
Ron, AWESOME idea! I will talk to the kids about this. I'm sure they'll like it.
Thanks,
shel
July 9, 2010
Topic:
Halloween Wedding

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Again Shel,

I like your idea of getting pictures of the Halloween outfits the kids wore each year as they were growing up.

Rather than just having a picture of the outfits sitting in a box or spread out on a table or a bed you might do one of the following:
  • If you still have the outfits themselves find some younger cousins, neighbors, etc. and get them to model the outfits. Possibly even photograph them posing with the bride-to be and groom-to-be... So, in each frame you would have four people. Bride-to-be, Groom-to-be, and the child standing in for the bride and groom as kids all dressed.
  • If you don't have the outfits but you have some good quality photos enlarge them to 8 by 10 or 8.5 by 11 and take photos of the bride and groom holding the photos. If Bride-to-be and groom-to-be are about the same age... take a series of pictures of bride/groom in the same frame each holding their pictures of their Halloween photos for each year... so if they are both, say 25, you would have 25 photos.
  • If you want to keep the theme as a surprise blindfold (securely) both the bride-to-be and the groom-to-be for the entire photo shoot. (Make a nice blindfold that fits in with the theme...) Throw in some non-Halloween photos and scenes too... so they won't quite figure out what you are doing. Alternatively, if you go for the surprise theme you might even want to start the video by having the family including the bride-to-be and groom-to-be introduce the video. The introduction would conclude with the bride-to-be and the groom-to-be saying "Please join us on our trip down memory lane. It promises to be fun and a surprise for all of us..." As they are saying surprise you and your future in-laws blindfold the bride-to-be and groom-to-be and you move into the remainder of the video.
  • Be really creative in how you set up each photo pose, position the subjects, set the background, etc.
  • These photos and/or video clips might work well as either a prologue, integral part of the video or as an Epilogue. I'd need to know exactly what materials you have to be able to make a more specific recommendation.
As always please let me know if I can be of further help via this forum or by contacting me via my Eventective listing.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
shelklinger wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about making a slideshow of the "younger years" for the kids! It's a hoot to watch those. It would be especially great if I could get pictures of the Halloween outfits they wore each year as they were growing up.
Thanks,
shel
July 12, 2010
Topic:
Halloween Wedding

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Shel,

Once again thank you for the positive feedback!!!

I really appreciate it.

You may find some additional interesting ideas for games, activities, cards, invitations and signs in the Education By Entertainment and the Happy Birthday groups of presentations on SlideShare. None of these are oriented to a Halloween Wedding but I think all may provide some ideas for you.

You may also contact me through my Eventective site and I'll email you additional booklets, etc. which may give you a few additional ideas (no charge, of course).

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

shelklinger wrote:
Hello, Ron. You are full of brilliant, unique ideas to make this wedding memorable. Thank you for helping out so much! ...
Thanks again for your suggestions!
shel
July 15, 2010
Topic:
Outstanding TV Game Show Style EduTainment For Your Special Events

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Please contact me through my Eventective listing for end of summer and opening of school offers.

Very deep discounts for schools, colleges, universities and other not for profit organizations.

I've presented programs in over half of the USA and throughout the world.

I'd be delighted to travel to your location.

Thank you,

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 16, 2010
Topic:
Back to School Specials

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
This Forum provides an opportunity for suppliers to make special Back To School offers to schools, youth groups, colleges and universities so that the organizations can afford to have high quality programs and celebrations, even with restricted budgets.
July 16, 2010
Topic:
Back to School Specials

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Reduced speaker fees -- designed to meet a school or youth group budget, guaranteed to meet the budget for organizations within 100 miles of Providence, Rhode Island.

Hi,

I am offering special pricing to all educational organizations and youth groups throughout the world for the 2010-2011 school year designed to meet your budget. I will guarantee to meet your budget requirements if you are within 100 miles of Providence, RI as long as you don't pay any other speakers more than you pay me and other suppliers will make similar considerations. Contact me directly by pressing the red Contact Vendor button in my Eventective listing for more information.

Thank you for your consideration.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Phd
July 24, 2010
Topic:
Need Affordable Help for a Party ASAP (info enclosed)

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday
happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday

Hi Katie Jovelle,

It is wonderful that you have such a great friend... and that you are such a great friend too... I'll try to address each of your questions below... but if I don't address completely please feel free to ask further questions in this forum or via my EvenTective site. My only requirement, if you contact me directly, is that your parents be aware of and approve of your contacting me. I would not charge you for any consultation regarding a celebration for this special friend.

One challenge you face is that your friend is, herself, a champion event planner. I know that you want her to be impressed with your event planning.

Location.

You have several options:
  • Her home. I know you said it is small, but is the yard large... with the garage as backup if you have rain?
  • One of your homes. I don't see why it would be inappropriate to invite her family to one of your homes. Double check with your parents, though.
  • One of the agencies she supports. Does one of the agencies she supports have a meeting room or access to a meeting room? The agency might be more than happy to join you in sponsoring the event.. and may be able to get you some space at no charge... as well as a few surprise guests who are probably meaningful people to her. (You might even be able to make her party into a fundraiser to support one of her agencies... She might like that...)
  • Your school, church, synagogue, etc. Check, they may be willing to let you use the space free or nearly free.
  • A park in the area. You may be able to rent a shelter for little (or no) money. Check with the park office.
  • A family style restaurant. Some have meeting rooms (or part of the restaurant they can at least partially close off) that they may be happy to let you use if you order off the menu (as opposed to requiring you to order more expensive catering).
How to surprise her with all the cars
  • This one seems really simple. Have everyone carpool and park a kilometer or two away and walk to the location... Am i missing something?
  • Have her mom or one of you take her out for a few hours shopping or to get hair or nails done, etc. When bringing her home be sure the driver doesn't drive by all the parked cars.
  • Additionally, you might have a small party say a day before... so she'll not expect one on her birthday or else have your party a day or two early.
  • Have a meeting of one of the groups she leads. Schedule a game during the meeting in which the birthday girl needs to be blindfolded. Bring in all of the guests, friends, etc. while she is blindfolded. For a sample of this please see A Special Birthday Surprise starring Luana Matos on SlideShare.
Making the video
  • I really like the video idea. You may also want to work with her parents to make the video (or else some posters) of her first seventeen years... Maybe starting with her mom and dad when her mom was pregnant. (I just saw a professionally done video which started that early. It was very nice.)
  • You may also want to make a video at the party to send to everyone for her 18th.
Activities
  • Please take a look at the Making Events Memorable forum right here on Eventective. You will see 3 postings about messages, signs and invitations. You may wish to incorporate some of those ideas into your own party.
  • Tuning the general posting on Making Events Memorable for this special friend you may want to make an attractive sign for each of the awesome things which your special friend has done on an 8.5 by 11 sheet of heavy quality paper. Take a photo of her holding each of these signs. Perhaps including the people involved with the activity in the background of some of the pictures. For some of the pictures have each friend hold their index finger in the air making a number 1 with one hand and pointing to her with the other index finger. Also hold up an Awesome banner behind her for some of the photos. (You might also want to pin an Awesome and an It's My Birthday ribbon on her and/or get her an Awesome or a Happy Birthday sash and tiara.) Depending upon her personality and yours you may or may not wish to blindfold her for some of these pictures. If you do, you can have fun setting up the poses... and then surprising her later with a slideshow of the photos. If you do chose to blindfold her, I would suggest first placing a plain blindfold over her eyes... then placing an attractive blindfold with a special message (such as Happy Birthday Awesome her name nicely done) over the first blindfold for nice pictures. For some ideas here please see Cards, invitations and Signs for a Special Birthday Surprise on SlideShare. If you do the blindfolded signs be sure one of the signs says It's My 18th Birthday. Don't show her that one until you send it to her in a year for her 18th.
Photographer
  • Hiring a professional photographer and videographer might be a bit beyond your budget... but if one of you had a photographer and/or a videographer friend who does not know the birthday girl you might invite them to come to the party and video/photo it. That way you'll be sure all her friends are in the pictures.
Enjoy the party. You and your special friend are fortunate to have each other.

Please do let me know how I can be of further help.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 26, 2010
Topic:
Photographer

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Staff,

You will note that I have indicated the advantages of hiring a competent, talented professional photographer for wedding photographs for many good reasons in various postings in this forum (and elsewhere). A potential client should view work samples, interview potential photographers, talk with references, perhaps read a few articles on what to look for in a wedding photographer, review terms and conditions in the photographers contract and then make a selection.

You raise an important point about copyright ownership of photos (and whether or not the photographer furnishes their client with .jpgs or some other form of "negative" so that the client can print them at home, bring them to a photo processor for printing or bring them to another professional). Whether or not the photographer or the client ultimately owns the copyright is simply a matter of contract. I do recommend that clients carefully consider who will own the copyright and have source copies of their wedding photos as part of their decision for a number of good reasons. One of these is that the photographer might die, go out of business, etc. Original photos may fade or be destroyed in a fire, flood, earthquake, etc. Unless the client has a backup copy of the source and copyright they may be left without any way to reconstruct their photo album. Another reason is clients may wish to reprint their wedding photos on the occasion of a 10th, 25th, or 50th anniversary (for example). In both of these examples the original photographer may be long gone when the photo sources are needed.

Addressing your point on another vendor making money when photos are reprinted, I understand that you want to earn a good living. However, others will always make money off of what you do. For example, the people who sell you ink, toner and paper make money off of your work. So does the company that sells you electricity, equipment, etc. So, while I understand that you may be upset that you are not making money each time your work is reprinted, you may not want to get upset every time you think about someone else making money when you work. If you allow that to happen, you will always be upset. Life is too short for that.

Also, please reconsider applying general descriptions to entire groups of people as your article appears to do. While you may be right that some amateur photographers earn money on weddings which they use to buy cars. boats or whatever that description does not apply to all amateur photographers. Likewise, some professional photographers may use their money to do the same. In any case how the photographer will use their money (unless it is illegal, immoral or whatever) is really quite irrelevant to decision about hiring a photographer. Also, to generalize that amateurs do not care about their work is also unfair. Many amateurs do care a lot about their work. Without extensive study it would not be possible to answer statistical questions about what percentage of amateurs care more about their work than professionals, etc. One could probably make uncomplimentary remarks about professional photographers also. Why do that though?

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
July 27, 2010
Topic:
Venue for Baby Shower near Saline, MI

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Manders867,

I'm not familiar with the area around Ann Arbor (indeed, I'm an OSU graduate), but here are some general recommendations on finding inexpensive space for a baby shower:
  • Do any of your friends live in a condominium or a coop? Often condominiums have a clubhouse which a resident can rent for a low cost (since they actually own part of the clubhouse).
  • Do any of your friends go to college now or work at a college or university? If so, you may be able to rent space from the school for a relatively low cost. Even if you don't go to the school see if you could rent some space in perhaps the chapel or the student union.
  • Are there any independent schools, churches, synagogues, etc. in your area with meeting rooms which might go unused on Sunday afternoon? If so, they may be willing to rent to you for a small donation.
  • Are guests from out of town... staying at a hotel? You may be able to convince the hotel to let you use a conference room if you rent a certain number of sleeping rooms. If not, talk with the hotels (especially some of the smaller ones and some in business parks that do not have their own restaurants and catering). They may have space which is not normally used on Sunday that they would rent at a discount price. The larger hotels might even give you the room free but they would want you to buy all food and beverages from them. That can be very expensive.
Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
1234 ..8