View User Profile - Eventective - Forums

All Messages By DrRonShapiro

March 14, 2010
Topic:
What are ideas for entertainment for a company picnic?

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Is it a family picnic or an employee's only picnic?

Is this a year in which you want to be having a grand celebration or is it a year to have a great time but on a lower budget?

Ron
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Photographs with Special Messages From The Guests
...to make your event memorable while having fun!!!

Invite each of the guests to bring a sign written or printed on a full size sheet of paper (e.g., 8.5 by 11 inches in USA) with a special message for the honoree to the event. The sign may be hand printed or prepared on a computer and printed. (A heavy paper such as high quality matte should be used as 20 or 24 pound bond is too thin.) Also, have a table set up at the event with plenty of extra paper and markers (and possibly a computer and printer) for people who don't bring a sign or for those who have an additional inspiration for a sign.

The message on the sign may be personal, illustrated with a picture, etc. or it may be as simple as:
  • Happy Birthday, Bill and Sue
  • Congratulations, Sarah
  • You are Awesome, Carol
  • Happy Birthday To My Best Friend Forever, Jenny
  • Bill You Are The Greatest Soccer Player, Ken
  • I am a Winner, Lou
  • Sam You are a Winner, Sue
  • World's Best Friend, Rick
  • Fantastic Mother, Joe
  • Fantastic Father, Sean
  • Best Captain Ever, George
  • Debbie is so fortunate you are her Mom, Steve
  • You are the Best, Ann
  • Very Special Mom To Be, Al.

At the event take photographs of each guest holding their sign, presenting their sign to the honoree (and possibly make a video of the guest telling the story behind their sign as they present it), and of the honoree holding the sign. You might also take a photo of the honoree and guests without the sign. Be sure to take multiple photos of each pose because people do blink and you want a great picture of each. Use high resolution, and take the photos from close enough that the signs can be read easily in pictures.

After the event, make an album for the honoree with the pictures taken and include the original signs in an appendix or a separate album. Hopefully, your honoree will keep these photographs forever ... possibly passing them to the next generation.
Send each of the guests their photos with the honoree, and possibly a electronic copy of the entire album as well. Hopefully, they will add the photos to their albums as well.

Additional Surprise Sign Activity for the Adventuresome Honoree
If you have an adventuresome honoree you might also do a second round of signs and pictures with a new set of signs. For the second round of signs and pictures the honoree will be blindfolded. I would recommend making or purchasing a blindfold or bandanna which is designed for the occasion (e.g., if it is a birthday party the bandanna or blindfold should have nice decorations and say Happy Birthday to add a special finishing touch to the photographs. Also, if using a bandanna line it with foil so the honoree cannot see through it.)

You might have each guest bring a second sign wrapped in a large envelope for this activity or you may wish to make the signs at the party.
Unwrap (or make) the second set of signs after the blindfold is in place and do not tell the honoree what the signs say. As in the first activity above take photos with the presenter with each sign, the presenter and the honoree with each sign, and the honoree with each sign. Try a series of fun poses, of course... but remember not to tell the honoree what the signs say. Collect all signs and place into a sealed envelope after the photos are completed and prior to removing the honoree's blindfold. The party host should then keep these signs to present to the honoree at a later date.

You can now make a surprise album which to present (complete with Slide Show) to the honoree at a special party to view the photo albums. (Or you could send the album if a second party is not practical in the near future.)

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Education by Entertainment
(c) Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro, 2010
March 14, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Special Invitations For Surprise Parties

Are you planning a surprise party? If so, and you have time before the event it might be fun for you to include a photograph of the honoree inviting people to the surprise party on the invitation (without the honoree knowing about the party, of course).

One way to do this is to plan an activity at another event in which you would have the opportunity to blindfold the intended honoree, preferably with a bandanna or blindfold which is appropriate for the Surprise Party (e.g., if the party is a birthday party the blindfold says Happy Birthday). You then have several options for taking photos for the invitation:
  • While the intended honoree is blindfolded, have them hold up a number of signs as part of their activity. One of the signs they are holding up is an invitation to their own party!!!
  • You might set up a photograph with the honoree in which the background is a huge event invitation.
  • Both of the above.
You do, of course, need to remember to remove and wrap up the sign and/or backdrop before removing the intended honorees blindfold. All other attendees need to keep the surprise party a surprise.

If you aren't able to fully plan the surprise invite prior to taking the photos or you don't want to be concerned about other attendees discussing the party with the intended honoree, that is OK too. Just be sure you have photos of the honoree holding a sign (and/or with a sign in the background). You can easily erase the content of the sign and replace it with a surprise party invitation as you prepare to produce the actual party invitations.

As another alternative, you can include the photo of the blindfolded honoree on the invitation with wording such as I'm blindfolded in this invitation because the party is a surprise. Remember not to tell me about it.

Sample surprise party invitations are posted in the:
  • Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album on SlideShare.
A photo album showing a "pre-event" in which requisite photos were taken as well as the actual surprise party is also available on SlideShare in the Luana Matos Happy Birthday Surprise Photo Album. The invitation itself is included in the Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album.

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

March 15, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Getting To Know Each Other

One purpose of a family company event (outside of having a great time at the event itself) is to encourage the attendees to get to know each other. A listing of a few very low budget "getting to know you type activities" which I have led at both corporate events such as bring your child to work day and community based events follows. All have been extremely well received.
  • Networking Bingo. Make a game card for every attendee by drawing lines dividing an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper into one inch squares. Fill each square with a descriptor for each attendee such as: in fifth grade, plays golf, likes to cook Italian food, won an award in 2009, starred in school play, worked all night yesterday. Make copies for each attendee. Give attendees a game card and marker as they arrive. Objective for each attendee is to fill the card by getting a person who matches the descriptor to sign a square or two on the card. Maximum two signatures per person per card. Also, need to get contact information (such as name legibly printed and an email address ...or parent's email address) printed on the back for each person signing. Everyone is a winner as small prizes are awarded to everyone filling their cards. Champions are the youngest 5 people to fill their cards (without parent help.)
  • That's My Mom/Dad. Bring group of four to five parents with their kids on stage. Blindfold all of the kids. Kids need to identify their parent based upon asking job related Yes/No questions of the parents. (Parents hold up a Yes/No sign and a moderator announces the answers.) Also, do a round in which the kids need to identify their parents based upon shaking hands.
  • That's My Son/Daughter. Similar to That's My Mom/Dad, except this time the parents attempt to identify their kids based upon school related events and/or handshakes.
  • Championship Networking. Bring the champion Networkers from Networking Bingo on stage. Blindfold them. Ask them to name and describe as many people as they can. Person naming and correctly describing the most people wins.
March 17, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
The Activity Page

Hi,

About eight to ten years ago a Graduate Student by the name of Christian Itin (now, I believe, a Professor at Humboldt State University in Redding, California) assembled a list of activities on what he called the Activity Page. The work started at the University of Denver and then migrated to Geocities. When Geocities was eliminated this work was archived. It took me a few days to find the URL to the archive, but I think some of the activities may be helpful to you.
August 8, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest,
What did you decide to do for the Company Picnic?
How did it work out?

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
August 8, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi,

What have you done recently to make your events memorable?

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
August 15, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Sanhotm,
Have you considered the Columbus Zoo for the company party?
Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
August 23, 2010
Topic:
venues that allow self catering

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi SJHMason,
Congratulations....
If you are planning an afternoon wedding in the early fall think about a state park. The setting can be beautiful. with all the fall foliage. Of course, you can always bring food to a park. just be sure there is a shelter in case it rains. If you are a bit flexible on location, Colt State Park in Bristol RI has a beautiful outdoor setting and is right on the ocean. Lots of people come to the park to take wedding photos in their limos. They have an outdoor chapel. Lots of people get married there too. You could also check on summer camps which might be able to rent space off season.
You might also check on private schools, community centers,civic organizations, religious institutions, etc. for indoor venues that would probably be OK with your bringing in your own food. I recently attended a wedding at Curtis farm in Willton NH. It was a beautiful setting. I think it is probably much more expensive than the parks or schools though.
August 29, 2010
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
101 Signs For Special Occasions: Birthdays, Engagements, Bridal Showers. Bachelor Parties, Bachelorette Parties, Weddings, Anniversaries, Family Celebrations, Team Celebrations and Other Celebrations

In earlier postings I have suggested that one way to make an event memorable is to begin by thinking about what you would like the photo album of the event to look like as one of the first steps towards planning your event. I've also suggested that you might want to think of your album as a series of chapters. Each chapter might begin with the honoree holding a sign introducing the chapter. You might also want to have the honoree and guests hold up signs explaining who they are and/or what is going on in various photos.

I have now made this very easy to do by posting an album called
101 Signs For Special Occasions: Birthdays, Engagements, Bridal Showers. Bachelor Parties, Bachelorette Parties, Weddings, Anniversaries, Family Celebrations, Team Celebrations and Other Celebrations on SlideShare.

You may download the album, print and use the signs or you may contact me through my Eventective site and request that I send you signs that may print better than a download from SlideShare. You may also request minor customization of a sign and suggest new sign ideas. There is no charge for helping to Make Your Event Memorable in this manner.
I'd just like to see the photos and would like a credit line if you publish them.

For some of the Sign Photos (including those which describe "surprise events" and those which focus on the "I'm Awesome" theme), depending upon your honoree's sense of adventure, you may wish to blindfold the honoree before handing them the sign and placing the sign back in a secure location before removing their blindfold. Don't tell them what the signs say until you present them with the photo album or photo show.

Please enjoy and let me know if I can be of further help.

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

September 14, 2010
Topic:
ideas for cheapest wedding

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest from Providence RI,
I'm also from Providence. I would recommend you check out Colt State Park in Bristol RI. It is right on Route 114... so take 95 to 195. Take the Route 114 exit off of 195. You'll drive through East Providence, Barrington and Warren prior to reaching Bristol. Once you see Seabra Supermarket, a traffic light and a fire station on the left Colt Park will be on the right at the next light. They have a nice outdoor chapel, a covered eating area, etc. It is very nice. A lot of wedding photographers do pictures in Colt Park. On occasion you will also see a couple, a minister and a handful of family members gathering by the water and doing their wedding. If you do your wedding just a bit earlier you will also have cherry blossoms, azalea and/or lilacs in part of the park. The park office is right in the park so you could check with them re: reservations, etc.

Please feel free to contact me directly via my EvenTective listing if I can be of further help to you.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
November 1, 2010
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi T Nickerson,
I'm also in Rhode Island (Providence). I would recommend you check out Colt State Park in Bristol RI. It is right on Route 114... so take 95 to 195. Take the Route 114 exit off of 195. You'll drive through East Providence, Barrington and Warren prior to reaching Bristol. Once you see Seabra Supermarket, a traffic light and a fire station on the left Colt Park will be on the right at the next light. They have a nice outdoor chapel, a covered eating area, etc. It is very nice. A lot of wedding photographers do pictures in Colt Park. On occasion you will also see a couple, a minister and a handful of family members gathering by the water and doing their wedding. If you do your wedding just a bit earlier you will also have cherry blossoms, azalea and/or lilacs in part of the park. The park office is right in the park so you could check with them re: reservations, etc.

Please feel free to contact me directly via my EvenTective listing if I can be of further help to you.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
January 5, 2011
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Where in Connecticut? As you know cost of living varies drastically from Fairfield County going East.
January 6, 2011
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Dan208,
I agree with you on the lighting being really tough at mid-day and that the person taking the photo has more of an impact than the equipment. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of pictures taken with the cheap disposable camera lens and a for example Kodak 5MP camera. I'm expecting the Kodak 5MP would be better because of the cheap disposable lens in the one time use camera... Ron
January 6, 2011
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Lufulufu 2003,

Which Washington -- DC or the state of Washington? If the State, which City?

Ron
March 9, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Guest looking for party this week... Where do you want to have the party
March 10, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Ruth,
Where do you want the party room? This forum is global so you need to state the city and state or province or town or ??? so we can be of help. Ron
March 10, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi 1995 CC baby,
You need to specify where you want to find the location if anyone is to help you. People from all over the world read this. Ron
March 14, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Rebecmec7,
Where do you need this conference room or hall on March 27? Cit/state would help a lot. Ron
March 18, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Tjuchemich,
Where do you want to have your event? This forum is read by people around the globe.

tjuchemich wrote:
I am looking for a room @a reasonable price for a baby shower on June 4, 2011 @1pm to 3pm to contain approximately 60 people. It needs to be very simple; tables and chairs.
March 30, 2011
Topic:
Graduation Party Venue

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Cryce,

Considering the budget and the time of year the best option is a state or city park with a picnic shelter (in case it rains).

The problem you will run into is that you have chosen one of the busiest times of the year for such places. Memorial Day weekend reservations for such places may have sold out a year or more ago.

If you have a friend that lives in an apartment or a condominium with a clubhouse and pool you might see if you could rent the facility... My concern is that this would probably be very difficult considering the busy weekend.

You could also check out motels in the area that might have a pool and see if any have a party room and pool for rent that is still available. The problem is they are probably going to want top dollar... unless they had a last minute type cancellation.

While this is somewhat of a long shot... I think it is worth a try to call all of the summer camps in the area and see if they could take an additional group for memorial day weekend. It will take time to do, but there is some possibility a camp might not be fully sold out.

Another option might be to have the party a week sooner.... you might save quite a bit of money and find the facility much more easily.

Ron
April 21, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest,
This forum is read all over the globe. If any of us are to be helpful to you we need to know the City and State or Province or ??? where you wish to hold the event. Telling us the month and approximate budget is very useful also. Ron
April 22, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest,
As I've mentioned above, this forum is read all over the globe. If any of us are to be helpful to you finding a place for your boyfriend's birthday party we need to know the City and State or Province or ??? where you wish to hold the event. Telling us the month and approximate budget is very useful also. Ron
April 22, 2011
Topic:
sweet 15 (quinceanera)

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
CapicuLove1 states "no one will help you without contact information." I believe that history shows that some of us will try to help you as best as we can with whatever information you do provide. However, the more information you provide, the more likely we are to be able to help you. When you do not provide any information about place (city, state or province) or budget or your interests there is really very little that we can do to help you. I do not believe that CapicuLove1 is correct when s/he states that no one will help you without contact information.

Ron
Dr Ronald G. Shapiro
April 26, 2011
Topic:
Party Room Rental

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Guest,
As I've mentioned above, this forum is read all over the globe. If any of us are to be helpful to you finding a place for your husband's birthday party we need to know the City and State or Province or ??? where you wish to hold the event. Telling us the month and approximate budget is very useful also. Ron
April 15, 2013
Topic:
Need ideas about interesting party games.

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Askpretti and others,

You might check out
January 18, 2014
Topic:
Making Events Memorable

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro

The Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise
Photo Album on SlideShare has been updated with the addition of new cards and signs. Additionally, many of the older cards, invitations and signs have been updated resulting in more attractive displays.

Friends who have viewed the album in the past, and there have been over 5,000 views, are invited to review the refurbished album. People who have not seen it are encouraged to take a look at it.

Thank you,

Ron

DrRonShapiro wrote:
Special Invitations For Surprise Parties

Are you planning a surprise party? If so, and you have time before the event it might be fun for you to include a photograph of the honoree inviting people to the surprise party on the invitation (without the honoree knowing about the party, of course).

One way to do this is to plan an activity at another event in which you would have the opportunity to blindfold the intended honoree, preferably with a bandanna or blindfold which is appropriate for the Surprise Party (e.g., if the party is a birthday party the blindfold says Happy Birthday). You then have several options for taking photos for the invitation:
  • While the intended honoree is blindfolded, have them hold up a number of signs as part of their activity. One of the signs they are holding up is an invitation to their own party!!!
  • You might set up a photograph with the honoree in which the background is a huge event invitation.
  • Both of the above.
You do, of course, need to remember to remove and wrap up the sign and/or backdrop before removing the intended honorees blindfold. All other attendees need to keep the surprise party a surprise.

If you aren't able to fully plan the surprise invite prior to taking the photos or you don't want to be concerned about other attendees discussing the party with the intended honoree, that is OK too. Just be sure you have photos of the honoree holding a sign (and/or with a sign in the background). You can easily erase the content of the sign and replace it with a surprise party invitation as you prepare to produce the actual party invitations.

As another alternative, you can include the photo of the blindfolded honoree on the invitation with wording such as I'm blindfolded in this invitation because the party is a surprise. Remember not to tell me about it.

Sample surprise party invitations are posted in the:
  • Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album on SlideShare.
A photo album showing a "pre-event" in which requisite photos were taken as well as the actual surprise party is also available on SlideShare in the Luana Matos Happy Birthday Surprise Photo Album. The invitation itself is included in the Favorite Birthday Cards, Invitations and Signs For A Special Birthday Surprise Photo Album.

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro

January 24, 2014
Topic:
Large family reunion

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Camden, Maine Guest,

In your listing you mentioned that you are looking for "plenty of activities to keep busy."

If you would be interested in bringing one of our Education By Entertainment programs to your event please do let me know. The programs are TV Game Show Style and a ton of fun. People will learn a lot, too. Programs can run from an hour to several hours.

Please have a look at our web site: http://www.EducationByEntertainment.Com .

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
Education By Entertainment
April 24, 2014
Topic:
Education By Entertainment Programs For You

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Completed a very successful program for 40 4th grade students this week, so we are now expanding our offerings to include programs for 4th grade students.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro PhD
May 24, 2014
Topic:
Advertising Tip For Event Planners

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Advertising Tip: Several of the smaller community banks in Rhode Island support their small business customers by offering you a table in their lobby to set up and promote your small business. Here you may use the table free for a month at the time. Some banks have long waiting lists, others do not. Perhaps, banks in your area offer the same support. Check it out!!!

The photo below was taken of my display at the Washington Trust Bank in East Providence, RI.

If you would like to see enlargements of the items displayed, please visit SlideShare:

https://www.slideshare.net/DrRonShapiro/education-by-entertainment-program-display-at-the-washington-trust-bank-east-providence-ri-branch-may-23-2014

Thank you,
June 16, 2014
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
The photo below was taken of my display at the Westerly Community Credit Union (WCCU) South County Commons Branch in Southern RI. Larger images of each of the items displayed are included in the photo album on SlideShare: https://www.slideshare.net/DrRonShapiro/westerly-community-credit-union-south-county-commons-display-june-14-2014-slideshare.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD

August 17, 2014
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
The photo below was taken of my display at the Westerly Community Credit Union (WCCU) South County Commons Branch in Southern RI on August 15, 2014. There are some updates since my last display, as my current display features Back to School as well as Employee Development and Birthday Celebrations. Larger images of each of the items displayed are included in the photo album on SlideShare: https://www.slideshare.net/DrRonShapiro/westerly-community-credit-union-south-county-commons-display-august-15-2014-slide-share.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD

August 19, 2014
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Siretta,

You are welcome!!!

I would be pleased to chat with you by phone to speak about various opportunities which I use which may be of help to you.

Just send me an email (DrRonShapiro1981@SigmaXi.Net) with your phone number if interested and I'll be pleased to call.

Ron
November 6, 2014
Topic:
Education By Entertainment Program in Lubbock, TX

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro

If you will be in Lubbock, Texas on November 13, please RSVP here and we will try to send you an invitation to join us.

If you aren't in Lubbock, please contact us to arrange a program for your school, college, university, business, or professional organization.

Thank you!

Ron

Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
December 14, 2014
Topic:
Want to Learn & Have Fun at Your Next Event???

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Are you planning a business meeting, professional conference, or special birthday celebration for an adventuresome friend?

There are to great reasons to schedule an Education By Entertainment program:

• Attendees learn more about how they process information so that they can be safer, more productive and better communicators at work, school and home!!!.
  • The programs are a ton of fun!!!
Now, take a few moments to:
Thank you!!!
Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD

April 6, 2015
Topic:
New Hawaiian dance group in Winnipeg, MB

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Real Events Manitoba,

Why don't you register on the site, rather than just being a Guest, and then post some real event stories in the appropriate category. I think that your contributions would add to the site, and it is possible that someone might become interested in your business as well.

Ron

Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
June 2, 2015
Topic:
Common Grounds Networking

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
The three minute video of my May 29, 2015 Common Grounds demonstration showing an activity which would be great for sales people who would like to have some fun during shows to promote jewelry, cosmetic and clothing sales may be viewed on Vimeo at: https://vimeo.com/129456308. Our awesome participant is Carrie Humphreys, an independent CAbi Consultant.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD, LLC

July 9, 2015
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Thank you Guest from NY.

Please do let me know if I can be of further support.

Ron

Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
December 15, 2015
Topic:
Special Program Before After Your Holiday Lunch

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Consider sponsoring an Education By Entertainment program before or after your holiday lunch!!! The program will be applicable, educational, entertaining, useful and a ton of FUN!!! Attendees will learn more about how they think, so they can be safer and more productive... This Game show style program is great before or after a holiday lunch because it is so much fun!!!

Special Discounted Pricing from December 15 -> January 15.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
January 4, 2016
Topic:
To elope or NOT to elope?

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Futur1584426,

From what I concluded from your note your goal is to be married on a specific date. You don't want to spend a lot of money. You are not really concerned about elaborate ceremony, etc,. but you do want your family and friends to be there with you. Based on all of the above I would suggest considering two options.

• If you are religious, speak with your religious leader about having your ceremony at their place of worship.
  • If you are not religious consider having your wedding ceremony at a park or beach. (Just be sure there is some cover/shelter or lots of umbrellas available if it rains).
After the ceremony either:
  • Go to a local family restaurant that you enjoy for dinner. Just order off the menu. If you tell the restaurant in advance, I'll bet that some nice person there will do a few extras for you.
  • Have a park or beach dinner buffet. Some of your more distant friends could do this for you, modified pot luck -- with possibly buying some prepared foods,
Alternatively, if you have friends who live in a condominium, they may be able to rent their clubhouse for you for the reception.
I would suggest having a couple of friends who take really good pictures of people make a beautiful photo album for you. Since you don't seem concerned about a fancy wedding dress, etc. you may not need the skill of a professional wedding photographer.

This won't have all of the features normally associated with a wedding which you imply you don't care much about when you discuss elopement., but you will achieve your goals of getting married inexpensively and including the entire family and having a day of fun with your family and friends.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
January 13, 2016
Topic:
Need a Venue for Kid's Bday Party theme Carnival

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Why don't you have the party at your local zoo. Many zoos provide programming, cake, ice cream, room for a party, etc. at affordable rates. Of course, you have the opportunity to explore the entire zoo. The zoo may also have a student or staff member who is very knowledgeable about animals and likes children host your event, so it will be a great learning opportunity as well as being fun. Money raised (assuming your zoo is a not-for-profit organization) then goes to support education, animal welfare, etc.

Ron

Ronald G Shapiro, PhD, LLC
February 15, 2016
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Check out some of the one word evaluations written by recent program attendees at a high school in Rhode Island (along with a few of our event photos).

Schedule a program to learn while having fun!!!

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
April 12, 2016
Topic:
Ice breaker game

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Melcg1741495,

Happy Birthday!!!

I'm going to suggest a version of networking bingo.

Everyone receives a bingo style card with attributes in each box. Examples might be:
  • I camped at the bottom of the Grand Canyon
  • I make gourmet meals at camp outs
  • My idea of camping is a night at the Hyatt
  • etc.
Ideally, you would set up the card so every attribute applies to someone at the party (and possibly only one person).

The idea is everyone asks everyone else to sign a box on their card which applies to the person signing.
Prize goes to people with the highest number of signatures.

If you would like more adventuresome activities do let me know.

Ron
Ronald G Shapiro, PhD
October 8, 2016
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
We are now offering a limited number of special discounts for events on available dates in December and January in Southern New England.

If you need ideas for a "Do It Yourself" event, please check out our Birthday Suggestions website.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
November 15, 2016
Topic:
Need help with setting up a surprise party

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Brexm2057579,

You might consider hiring a professional event planner who is licensed, bonded and insured with an excellent reputation in your community. Expect to spend some money (probably several hundred dollars) to hire this professional. Given that you will not be home, want everything done right, and are trusting all of your belongings to this person I think this is a necessary expense. Your local chamber of commerce may have a member who does event planning.

Ron

Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
January 8, 2017
Topic:
Education By Entertainment Programs For Your Event

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Sharing our newest advertisement which will be appearing in the East Greenwich (Rhode Island) Chamber of Commerce Directory and Resource Guide in a few weeks.

I really like this advertisement because so many of our 2016 program participants contributed to it by summarizing our program in one word at the conclusion of the program. Ron
January 14, 2017
Topic:
Who Goes First???

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Our technique for selecting "Who Goes First" at events for children. So far, it has worked every time with no complaints about "it is unfair..."

May 30, 2017
Topic:
Speaker for Career Service Awards

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi,
Here are a few thoughts:
  • Heroes... your speaker could discuss several heroes and how they share attributes with your honoree(s). Someone from your state historical society might be a great speaker for this topic.
  • Career development, focus and work-life balance through the years from student to retiree.
  • Mind Games... a fun program which shows people more about how they think so that they can be safer, more productive and better communicators.
Please do follow up with me and let me know how i can be of support by either doing a program for you or having a detailed discussion about your objectives so I can make more specific recommendations. .
Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
August 30, 2017
Topic:
Surprise 23rd birthday!

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi stcjn2463486,

If you have a friend who lives in a condominium with a clubhouse see if they can rent it for you. It may be the perfect size and at a good price, too.

Ron
Dr.. Ronald G. Shapiro
August 30, 2017
Topic:

DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Everyone,

This is a great time to arrange programs for the 2017-2018 academic year.

We offer FUN educational programs for businesses, schools, colleges, universities, conferences, conventions, and social events such as reunions, birthdays, etc, etc.

Let us know you found us on EvenTective!!!

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD