The Historic Athenaeum is all that remains of two famous all-girl schools that operated in Columbia from 1837 until the early 1900s.
The Athenaeum's construction ended in 1837 and served as a home for the family of Rev. Franklin G. Smith, an educator and preacher. This home would stay in the Smith family until the 1970s when it was donated to the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA). The APTA has operated the home as a historic site, museum, and wedding venue ever since.
The home makes a wonderful backdrop to any size ceremony, from large to small. Come and see what makes the Athenaeum so special!