This local historic building was originally built as the Methodist Episcopal Church in the 1860s and acquired by Congregational Church Christian Endeavor Society in 1896. After their services ended in 1916, volunteer trustees maintained the building for community use until after the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989, when they deeded the property to the City.
Meetings for Clayton City government were held in the building until the Library was completed in 1995. The Clayton Redevelopment Agency restored and added bathrooms and a full kitchen to the building, which was completed in February 2001. Sidewalks, street lamps, and a parking lot around the site were added during the recent completion of the downtown revitalization of Center Street by the Redevelopment Agency.