Pros & Cons of a Sunday Wedding? Messages in this topic - RSS

Pros & Cons of a Sunday Wedding? Messages in this topic - RSS

Guest August 9, 2010
To save money, we are considering having our wedding on Sunday. The venue is 40% less but I fear that having it on Sunday may cost more with other vendors. What advice can you share?
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 August 9, 2010
Keep checking with vendors. Explain exactly what you are wanting for your big day.
greg183432greg183432Posts: 14 August 9, 2010
The only issues with Sunday weddings are is your vendor open for business? If they are there shouldn't be a problem. Some issues may be hairdressers and makeup artist. On the other hand since they are not working you may be able to find a hairdresser willing to come to you instead of having to go to them. Florist? It also depends on when your wedding is. If you are getting married in the near future they may be willing to go the extra mile with the economy hurting.

Be very careful of your photographer/ video, DJ and these types of vendors. As Sunday Weddings usually are earlier in the day, you do not want someone that got home at 2 in the morning after a busy day coming to take care of you. These vendors may give you a good price as they think they may be able to book an extra wedding that weekend. Be sure to spell out what they are doing, can do in the contract or if the lowest price is that important you don't care.

Bottom line is Go to your vendors and narrow down the ones you want. Then go to your first choice and discuss it with them. Let them present any options available. If you pick vendors that care about the reputation they will either go the extra mile to preserve their rep or tell you they cannot accommodate you.
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 August 9, 2010
I do not know of vendors who charge more for a Sunday wedding than a Friday or Saturday one, nor do I know of any industries that are regularly closed on Sundays. There may be vendors here and there who do not work on Sunday, but you should be able to find a few in each category that consider Sunday just another business day. Some may offer a discount for Sundays, but likely not. Sunday weddings are not really that unusual anymore.

Your officiant may be your biggest challenge depending upon the time of your wedding. If you are looking for a secular officiant such as a justice of the peace or a notary (if you are in one of the three states in which that is legal), you will probably not have much difficulty. If you want Christian or Unitarian clergy, you will need to be mindful of their schedule, especially if he or she is a congregational minister. For example, I cannot accommodate weddings prior to 3PM on the Sundays I am in the pulpit.

Best Wishes,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
laketahoeministerlaketahoeministerPosts: 11 August 9, 2010
If the venue is 40% less, I'd sure say GO FOR IT!!!! Everybody I know is OK with Sunday weddings. I love them, because we're in a resort area, and things are calm and quiet on Sunday. A beach wedding is much better, Sunday.
Guest August 9, 2010
Sunday is a great option! One thing to be mindful of is your guest, who will more than likely have to be at work bright and early the next day. I still say GO FOR IT!! A discount like that on a venue is fantastic.
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 August 9, 2010
Sunday is a wonderful option. You will not save money on a photographer or videographer though, who charges the same rate every day of the week. You have to be careful to make sure that your cake provider/florist or other outside venders DELIVER on a Sunday. This may cause a problem, so do doublecheck. A limo may or may not cost more, so make sure you book one with enough advance notice.

Personally I like Sunday afternoon weddings. It's a lovely way to spend a Sunday and as long as the event does not run too late, everyone can get rest for work on Monday.

Good luck!!!

Lise' Ramos
Creative Director/Designer
www.mybelovedwedandart.com
www.allenspatzphotography.com
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 August 10, 2010
I think Sunday weddings are a great idea. I for one have no issue doing them and do not charge more for a Sunday (or any other day for that matter). I know a photographer who doesn't either and regardless of his or my schedule the day or night before, we show up and give you our best! So check with the vendors you have on your A list and see what they say. I would think if they have not booked the day would be more than happy to have your business and work with you on the price.
wthurowwthurowPosts: 34 August 10, 2010
Our Simple Ceremony does not charge extra for a Sunday Wedding.
studi467094studi467094Posts: 11 August 10, 2010
I can speak from a planner's stand point. I can often negotiate BETTER rates with most vendors on a Sunday or on a Friday Night...mainly because they can still work on Saturday with another event - so it tends to be a BONUS to book one or more events on the "off days". It is not even unheard of to do mid week weddings these days...last year alone, I had 14 Tuesday and Wednesday weddings. These tend to be an East Coast trend but they happen everywhere - even here in Indiana. If you have questions on how to negotiate this, feel free to call my mobile 317-490-7894. I will gladly help. Suz Haire, Studio Brides & Events (www.studiobrides.com)
Guest November 20, 2012
From a guest point of view sunday weddings are obnoxious. Like many people i cannot just take days off and most people like to party at weddings. The last 4 weddings i went to the majority of us got hotel rooms. We were partying and up really late. The best weddings are those that you get to spend the next morning talking about over a hotel breakfast.
EclecticEntertainmentDJEEclecticEntertainmentDJEPosts: 15 December 16, 2012
In my experience, I have found Sunday weddings are nice for those that don't plan on going on and on all night. Most guests don't plan on staying out all night; the work week comes VERY fast if they don't get home til Midnight. As a DJ, I wouldn't mind a Sunday wedding, or Sunday event. Though keep in mind, it's much more difficult to keep people on the dancefloor on a Sunday night.
Either way, I would steer clear of vendors that don't do Sundays or charge more. It's not good business to charge more for the less common days.
TheDolceDesignTheDolceDesignPosts: 47 January 11, 2013
As a seasoned wedding coordinator, I have found that Friday and Sunday weddings can offer a much more affordable price while still offering a weekend date. For photographers and DJs, the price is generally the same for a Sunday wedding if not less. Limo companies normally do offer discounted rates for days other than Friday or Saturday. Rental companies generally have the same rates; you will just want to check with them on pickup/dropoff time (some places are closed on Sundays so you won't want to have to pay extra for any rentals because you can't return the rentals that day). To be on the safe side, I definitely recommend having an earlier wedding if Sunday is your day of choice (think ending by 9 or 9:30). Your guests will appreciate that, and you may get more open availability from you vendors!

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Best Wishes,
Sara Bacon
(334) 521-2254
eventdesign334@gmail.com
Guest January 22, 2013
UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE FOUND HERE IN ORLANDO FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WEDDINGS ARE ALMOST DOUBLE THE PRICE OF A M-T WEDDING. I I'M FINDING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A SATURDAY VENUE THAT ISN'T BOOKED UP FOR FEBRUARY 2014.
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 February 22, 2013
UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE FOUND HERE IN ORLANDO FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WEDDINGS ARE ALMOST DOUBLE THE PRICE OF A M-T WEDDING. I I'M FINDING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A SATURDAY VENUE THAT ISN'T BOOKED UP FOR FEBRUARY 2014.

It's not that Friday, Saturday and Sunday are double the price of a Monday through Thursday wedding, it's that week day weddings are half the price of weekend weddings. wink

In all seriousness, vendors will discount during the week, but most of us don't reduce our rates by half. What kind of venue are you looking for and how wide is your geographic range? I might be able to guide you to some reasonable alternatives.

Best Wishes,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Community Minister, UUSCM
Melbourne, FL
http://www.brevardminister.com

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: