My Daughters Laid Back Wedding On A $500 Budget Messages in this topic - RSS

My Daughters Laid Back Wedding On A $500 Budget Messages in this topic - RSS

bambidoebambidoePosts: 2 July 31, 2010
Who is invited : Family that the couple has seen in 5 years ( about 50 to 75 guests)
What they are wearing : She is wearing white shorts or a skort with a white dress shirt and vail, Maid of honor is wearing a red skirt or skort with a white dress shirt, 1 brides maid only that will be wearing a red skirt or skort with a red dress shirt. The groom will be wearing white shorts and white dress shirt, best man is wearing red shorts and white dress shirt, 1 groomsman wearing red shorts and red dress shirt. The flowers will be cut from a family garden of red roses and made into bouquets by the mother of the bride. Attire Total $60.00 for all.
Wedding and reception will take place in a pavillion at the park with a falls and fire works at dusk. No need for entertainment after the buffet type dinner catered by the mother of the bride, as well as the wedding cake, picnic table setting with plastic cover and rose petels with teacup center pieces and tulle drapery and lighting Total cost $300.00 for all including pastic wear plates napkins wrapped in ribbon by the brides mother.
The ceramony will take place at the pavillion as well with an ordained minister from Universal Life Ministries cost $100. Hair and makeup done by the bride and the groom. Cost $0.
Shoes are all whites tennis shoes that everyone has a pair of Cost $0. As party favors each guest will recieve a sparkler and a book of matches in white that has been stamped with a double heart stamp from the craft store, cost $5.00 Leaving the couple with $35.00 for the entire wedding guests to get into the falls part of the reception during the whole night of festivities. The photography done by the uncles of the bride. There will be trails to walk, playground for the children, paddle boat rentals, geese to feed, fishing pond, and even 2 golf courses for those who golf. Now is this a great set up or not? I need some input from others out there please help and thank you for replying
Guest July 31, 2010
I would confirm that the Universal Life minister is not only legal in your state, but competent to do your wedding. An officiant who works for 100.00 may not be professional enough to perform a service.
Guest August 1, 2010
Very good point I am not sure if she has checked up on that, I will make sure to do that for her through the county clerks office.
Thank You for your thoughts great thinking.
Guest August 1, 2010
I agree with the last posting. Usually that cost in an average of 350 per ceremony
djtony1967djtony1967Posts: 7 August 1, 2010
i cant get over the matches and sparklers,
love.475191love.475191Posts: 1 August 3, 2010
I disagree with the postings about prices. I've chosen to keep my prices low because I know that times are tough and secondly, this is not my only source of income. My low price has nothing to do with the quality or creativity that goes into my work.
Hkemp143243Hkemp143243Posts: 72 August 5, 2010
Where is she getting married?
shelk467420shelk467420Posts: 25 August 5, 2010
In rural central Illinois, many, many ministers/pasters do a ceremony for free, asking for a small donation to their church if the couple can afford it. Small town living is sometimes the best....
Do you have plans in case of rain?
I think your wedding plans are wonderful. Congratulations on all of the talent (and obvious love) in your family.
I have one more suggestion...if the couple have established houses (either lived on their own or with each other for a period of time) they probably already have enough toasters, dishes, linens. Why not do a food drive for your local food pantry? Or, if you're PETA minded, have guests bring cat/dog food & supplies. We have done this for many of our get-togethers and it is VERY rewarding!!!
shel
p.s. It's not how much you spend on the wedding, but how much love you give to each other that makes a marriage a success.
invitations4uinvitations4uPosts: 19 August 5, 2010
Sounds like it will be a fun time! Personal touches on weddings make them moments to cherish and remember for a life-time! Congratulations to you and your family!

In regards to the comments above I agree with Shelklinger and love.expressed. A lot of ministers just request a donation if possible. (I live 20 minutes north east of Philadelphia, and the same goes around here.)

If your children have yet to get invitations, I would be happy to donate them free of service.

Http://www.invitationsofelegance.com
Guest August 6, 2010
The plans sound great! I am sure it will be something that they remember for the rest of their lives together. My two concerns are do you have plans if it rains? My second concern is making sure she has beautiful wedding photos that she will be able to look back at in 10 years. I was going to have a family member do my photos, but decided against it because I knew this was going to be my one and only wedding. So we decided to go ahead and find a wedding photographer that would work with our budget and found a GREAT one. What happens a lot when family does photography is if they are not professionals, they don't know the important photos to get or get distracted eating or enjoying their time as a guest. Maybe see if there are any photographers if your area that are willing to be there for a low coast. Just a suggestion and I wish you all the best of luck. The person touches sound great!
greg183432greg183432Posts: 14 August 9, 2010
I agree with the last comment. After it is all said and done what do you have? 2 Rings, Memories and Pictures. Wedding Photography is the hardest and most challenging type of photography. Constant Light changes, correct angle, and exposure are important. not only that you said fireworks, that means the party will run late and you MUST have a pro flash to accommodate. A pro would know how to capture and the angles to get the couple with the fireworks in the background.

The correct lens is important and knowing what makes a flattering picture. The camera adds 10 lbs is a myth. The wrong lens adds weight. This includes every lens on a point and shot camera.

I highly recommend reconsidering the uncle photography.
Guest August 9, 2010
I am with Greg and the other person that mentioned photography. Be careful with a family member taking your photos!!! My cousin got married a few years back and was on a tight budget so she decided to let her friend, who had just taken a photography class take the photos. She didn't have a single good photo from the entire day. She ended up having to hire a professional a month later and rent a tuxedo again so they could get a few formal photos taken.

Maybe some of the family could pitch in and help her find an experience photographer, because at the end of they day they will have each other, the rings and the photographs to remember the day.
bagge514720bagge514720Posts: 21 September 11, 2010
I saw that the wedding got moved back to give more time. If you want a cheap wedding when it comes to favors and stuff check out orientaltrading.com they have plates favors decorations all kinds of stuff in bulk for great prices they have all kinds of stuff there.
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 September 11, 2010
I agree you want to be careful with your photography. The memories are so important. Other than that...I think it is fantastic. I've suggested something a bit more laid back to couple's I have talked with when they are really want to save. I think this is perfect (do have plan B if the weather turns bad), but if you can make this happen...I want you on my team! Have an amazing time!
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 349 September 13, 2010
Hi Bambidoe,

There was an extensive discussion on having relatives and friends do wedding pictures earlier this year. Rather than restate the entire discussion I'll post a link to it here.... http://www.eventective.com/forum/topic665-photographer.aspx . Please do read it and consider hiring a professional photographer.

I agree with the points that Guest made about problems with family members taking photos. If you do not follow our recommendation and do have your Uncle do family photos please make very clear to him (and be sure that he understands and agrees that:
  • He is NOT a guest at the wedding. He is there to take photos.
  • He is not to partake in activities, not to eat a formal meal, not to drink alcohol.
  • He does not need a table setting (if you have assigned seats) as he should be up and working the entire time (except for a few breaks for obvious reasons).
  • No matter who wants him to do anything but take photos, he needs to say no. He is to do the best job he can playing photographer.
  • He is to have backup equipment ready ... and to use more than one camera during the event... just in case of camera failure.
  • He is to get practice doing several simulated weddings (complete dress rehearsal) before your real one.
  • He is not to give the camera to someone else so he can be in the photos. If you, he, his spouse, etc. cannot agree to this he should not be your acting photographer.
As I stated earlier, I don't think its a good idea to have the Uncle taking photos... and hopefully the points above will help to convince you of this.

In terms of the minister, don't go for just low cost. Go for quality and someone you like. Meet him or her. If they happen to be low cost, fantastic... but again, this is not a place to cut corners.

I do wish you all the best.

Ron
RaffissonStudioRaffissonStudioPosts: 2 September 14, 2010
"He does not need a table setting (if you have assigned seats) as he should be up and working the entire time."

?????????

I am a professional photographer, and I can tell you that if you really want to add "tacky" to your wedding album, then by all means, ensure that you get photos of all of your wedding guests eating. Put toothpicks on the tables for the follow-up shots...really...it would be a nice touch.

Oh, and by all means, starve your uncle. Nothing really says "thank you" like forcing someone to fast at a party while they are doing you a favor...
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 349 September 14, 2010
Hi Raffisson Studio,

You are correct that you don't want to take photos of people putting food in mouths, etc.

However, I will stand behind my point of view that you cannot be a guest and a photographer at the same event. You can take a few snapshots as a guest... but to be the primary acting photographer and being a guest at the same time just won't work well. At this event it seems likely, given that it is a buffet that there will be multiple things going on at the same time and there probably won't be a continuous break in the action for eating. Thus, there will be continuous opportunities for photos. No time to stop and sit down and eat.

Ron

RaffissonStudio wrote:
"He does not need a table setting (if you have assigned seats) as he should be up and working the entire time."

?????????

I am a professional photographer, and I can tell you that if you really want to add "tacky" to your wedding album, then by all means, ensure that you get photos of all of your wedding guests eating. Put toothpicks on the tables for the follow-up shots...really...it would be a nice touch.

Oh, and by all means, starve your uncle. Nothing really says "thank you" like forcing someone to fast at a party while they are doing you a favor...
Guest September 15, 2010
to some people I think this would be a nice day but I choose to put just a little more in it and give her a real treat that don't cost much more just some thinking
greg183432greg183432Posts: 14 September 16, 2010
DrRonShapiro wrote:
Hi Raffisson Studio,

You are correct that you don't want to take photos of people putting food in mouths, etc.

However, I will stand behind my point of view that you cannot be a guest and a photographer at the same event. You can take a few snapshots as a guest... but to be the primary acting photographer and being a guest at the same time just won't work well. At this event it seems likely, given that it is a buffet that there will be multiple things going on at the same time and there probably won't be a continuous break in the action for eating. Thus, there will be continuous opportunities for photos. No time to stop and sit down and eat.

Ron

RaffissonStudio wrote:

?????????

You expect the photographer to fast??? Lets see the average wedding I shoot is 8-10 hours and I am not suppose to eat during that time... It is a common courtesy to feed the photographer while I refuse to put it in my contract because I feel it is tacky it is also tacky to not feed the photographer. I do expect to eat during the day. Honestly if I am spending a full day with the bride and groom and I am not suppose to eat then I should expect a 1 hour break so that I may leave, go to a restaurant, eat and come back. Most pro photographers will not take an hour to eat but they are fed something, they usually scarf it down just so they have something in them. Just because you are not a guest and working does not excuse you from eating. You do not have to have a seating for the photographer. I sometimes eat with the DJ or even at the bar in some venues but I do eat.
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 349 September 16, 2010
Hi Greg,

I do not expect the photographer to fast. On the other hand I do not expect the photographer to have a formal meal nor to drink alcoholic beverages. I thank you for bringing to my attention that in making the main point of my post (that a family member should not be a wedding photographer) I might have been clearer on this point. I have modified my original text slightly to accommodate your comments. Indeed, as I read your comments I don't think that we are far apart (if we indeed at all disagree...)

DrRonShapiro wrote:
greg wrote:
DrRonShapiro wrote:
Hi Raffisson Studio,

Ron

RaffissonStudio wrote:

?????????

You expect the photographer to fast??? Lets see the average wedding I shoot is 8-10 hours and I am not suppose to eat during that time... It is a common courtesy to feed the photographer while I refuse to put it in my contract because I feel it is tacky it is also tacky to not feed the photographer. I do expect to eat during the day. Honestly if I am spending a full day with the bride and groom and I am not suppose to eat then I should expect a 1 hour break so that I may leave, go to a restaurant, eat and come back. Most pro photographers will not take an hour to eat but they are fed something, they usually scarf it down just so they have something in them. Just because you are not a guest and working does not excuse you from eating. You do not have to have a seating for the photographer. I sometimes eat with the DJ or even at the bar in some venues but I do eat.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: