I just started planning my wedding.. Messages in this topic - RSS

crosb439957crosb439957Posts: 5 May 21, 2010
i just started to plan my wedding so i was looking at different websites to help. i went to theknot.com but it was asking specific questions about locations and so on. we know othe city but not sure of location. we know our date and colors but thats about it. is this website actually good at helping find what i want or is it a waste of time?
AJMorrisPhotographyAJMorrisPhotographyPosts: 28 May 21, 2010
Well.. What state are you located in? Do you have an idea of when you guys would like it? I am a photographer in North Carolina (I'm willing to travel). I also work with a wedding planner in North Carolina (she too is willing to travel). Do you have a budget? Please, feel free to visit our websites. I have wedding packages on my page, but willing to work things out with you if you don't want something.
Websites:
Planner ("Special Events" by Sandy)
www.iplan4u-sandy.com
Mine (AJ Morris Photography)
www.ajmphotos.net

Thank You,
Ashley J Morris
AJ Morris Photography
ajmphotos@hotmail.com
www.ajmphotos.net
greg183432greg183432Posts: 14 May 21, 2010
What area are you looking to get married in? Different areas have differnt sites that do best 4 u
We do have a budget but not quite sure what it is right now, i guess we will just decided when we get an idea on what the different people charge.. and we are located in statesboro georgia. we dont want to have an outside wedding just in case it rains. so definitely in a church.
Guest May 21, 2010
Hi!! There are many websites that are helpful. Weddingwire.com is affiliated with The Knot, but has some different attributes as well as a forum of other future brides where you can blog, ask questions and get others input. I am a wedding planner in Maine and would be happy to help you, or even just answer any questions you might have. If you would like to reach me I can be contacted at mackie@eventsbymackie.com. I am also on wedding wire or you can go to my website at wwww.eventsbymackie.com. Again if you just have some questions, let me know.
BlastoffBlastoffPosts: 2 May 21, 2010
Everybody has a 'budget'. I never met someone who didn't care about the bottom line. All the advise you are getting is OK, but here is the real deal. It is wise to hire a wedding planner who will help make this the best day of your life. If you have to skimp on flowers, drinks, or whatever..this will save your day. you have no idea of the many things that can up 'day of' so bite the bullet. I am a pro photographer with 23 years experience and I know what I am talking about. You'll be glad you did.
BouncebandBouncebandPosts: 4 May 21, 2010
Congratulations on your wedding. I agree with the above posts. Hire a planner. My band plays weddings almost every weekend, and the major difference with them are the ones that has a planner makes it a fabulous day.
Guest May 21, 2010
Congrats!!!! I'm with creative eye media, my wife and I have been married for 7 years. Planning it herself, she found that when you have a certin budget you have to get the best bang for you buck. We found many photographers and video over our budget thats why we created our own company. Our new photobooth service is where everyone can get into the picture. better than your normal box camera on the table. Hope to hear from you.
QuentinQuentinPosts: 20 May 21, 2010
I have to say that planning is important, but a wedding planner is not required if you have the time and passion to plan your own wedding. I've been part of many weddings that have been planned by the bride. But a budget is important to start with, as its amazing how quickly a wedding cost can add up otherwise.
Guest May 21, 2010
i definitely want to plan it myself, i just really need to get an estimate of how much everything will be..
^ that was me, didnt realize i wasnt still logged in.
Jcorn433397Jcorn433397Posts: 2 May 21, 2010
I'm also starting to plan my wedding...I'm starting a year in advance and already feel behind...I'm located in Iowa and find that very few vendors represent the midwest here...very disappointing because I need ideas and can't seem to find any upset
Guest May 21, 2010
try to contact casanovacatering san jose at this tel numbers 408 661 8560 for wedding that saves you more and look for chef Luigi
Jcornwell86 wrote:
I'm also starting to plan my wedding...I'm starting a year in advance and already feel behind...I'm located in Iowa and find that very few vendors represent the midwest here...very disappointing because I need ideas and can't seem to find any upset

If you need a photographer, I am willing to travel. Please visit my website, I have wedding packages posted. After viewing, please email me if you are interested. I am also willing to work out something within your budget.

Thank You,
Ashley J Morris
AJ Morris Photography, NC
ajmphotos@hotmail.com
www.ajmphotos.net
crosbykandace wrote:
^ that was me, didnt realize i wasnt still logged in.

You can always plan your wedding, but on your special day, I'm sure you wont want to take care of everything. Trust me, I planned everything for my wedding and on my wedding day, it felt like I couldn't enjoy myself because I had to make sure all of the little things are correct. If you can find a planner that will do "The day of" that would be good.

Good Luck =)
QuentinQuentinPosts: 20 May 21, 2010
It can be a problem finding a local, if you are looking outside your area, I am a photographer and able to travel. You can check out my website at www.sarafinchan.com and when your ready we can figure out a package that works for you.

Cheers,
Quentin J Sarafinchan
quentin@sarafinchan.com

www.Sarafinchan.com
403-852-5003
taylo417080taylo417080Posts: 1 May 23, 2010
HI, I know planning your own wedding can be a great experience, but sometimes you just need a little boost to get you started. I am a wedding designer and planner and we often meet with clients that may just need us to guide them. Find a planner that can meet with you and get you started on your budget and price break down, and after that you can hire them on a as needed basis just to make sure you are headed for success and not disaster. Its worth it to make sure all the details are covered.
GOOD LUCK
Guest May 26, 2010
Thanks everyone. i will check into everything and talk to him about it.
Guest May 26, 2010
I agree with taylormadedreams. Beginning with an event/floral designer will help you figure out a budget since we know how much most things cost. After that consultation you will know how much of a wedding planner package you will need. You will definitely need someone to hire to get you down the aisle and to oversee the reception. Susan at www.theeventdivas.net
hhilt406202hhilt406202Posts: 4 May 27, 2010
Congratulations on your Engagement! I am a Wedding Coordinator and if you need any help with things let me know. I have websites and other information that I give to my clients that want to plan there own wedding but just need a little bust. My email is hhiltwine@gmail.com and I would be glad to help you.
imtwe444419imtwe444419Posts: 4 May 27, 2010
My daughter is registered with The Knot also. One issue I see is that they only show venues and vendors that can afford to advertise through them (which means more expensive for you). I have found information my daughter hasnt been able to just by doing web searches. Changing the wording (ie: from reception site to reception venue) can bring up a whole new set of options. Be creative with your searches. If on a budget, use words like inexpensive, budget friendly, bargain (annsbridalbargains.com). I don't know about you, but I cannot afford a wedding coordinator to do the exact thing I am doing. Just cut a couple hours out of your television viewing to search.
djdad445107djdad445107Posts: 1 May 29, 2010
The post wedding reception is the fun part of the day where family and friends gather to eat, mingle, and PARTY. Thats where the DJ comes in. He will orchestrate with you what music to play and will assist in MC'ing the affair as well. I specialize in weddings, so when you are ready to plan that part of the wedding contact me:
DJ DaddyD at www.djdaddydonline.com.
crosb439957crosb439957Posts: 5 May 30, 2010
he decided that were werent going to do anything that was not local, to much of an expence he said. im glad i started planning early, because i can tell this is going to be difficult.
QuentinQuentinPosts: 20 May 30, 2010
It will be okay, you have plenty of time, just break the wedding down into separate parts and tackle it that way. Each task will be a lot easier to manage that way and some will become trivial. Don't worry there are lots of very helpful and informative people out there to help you along the way to your wedding day :-)

Cheers,
Quentin J Sarafinchan
quentin@sarafinchan.com

www.Sarafinchan.com
403-852-5003
makeu447675makeu447675Posts: 1 June 2, 2010
Hi, I know planning weddings can be stressfull, but with the right help and guidance it can be fun and rewarding. I am planning a wedding but I am also a Makeup Artist. I have contacts with photographers and hairstylists if needed in the Tacoma, WA area. So any of you Brides-to-be looking for services or Makeup for your special day, feel free to email me. My mom is also a caterer and does wedding cup cakes. makeupbynika@yahoo.com
rouir447725rouir447725Posts: 1 June 2, 2010
Hi Kandace! I'm not a photographer, or a caterer or anything related to a wedding, except that I was in your position 5 years ago and had to plan a wedding in 4 months. I didn't have a lot of time like you do so I can give you a little advice. I used a few websites like theknot.com and found that it was more useful for ideas and planning things in order and telling how far in advance we should book things. The number one thing you have to decide is where you are going to get married. Are you getting married in a church with a reception? outside? on a beach? a park? etc. Once you have this decided, then you'll have to figure out what else you need. Some places have packages you can choose from that include everything like food, drinks, photographers, flowers, etc. The one thing that I was most concerned about was - I wanted the planning to be easy (no stress), and I wanted the food to be amazing! People lways remember the food! So, I found a great caterer that helped me plan the wedding too! I did nearly everything myself to save money .. I used flowers from my back yard for the table arrangements (I chose something in bloom when I got married) and then looked through tons of wedding mags to get ideas about everything else. My wedding was very simple though, it was in my mother-in-laws backyard, we set up a tent in the front for dining and dancing and to be honest it was so nice and NOT stressful! I wasn;t worried about things running at certain times, when to cut the cake, pictures or anything .. because everything was in one place we just went with it and it was so fun and everyone had a great time. Anyway, if you want a large fairytale wedding, then I suggest a planner. Or maybe you can find a caterer who will help you plan? Good luck and congratulations!
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 June 3, 2010
crosbykandace wrote:
i just started to plan my wedding so i was looking at different websites to help. i went to theknot.com but it was asking specific questions about locations and so on. we know othe city but not sure of location. we know our date and colors but thats about it. is this website actually good at helping find what i want or is it a waste of time?

I think your first step is to determine your budget (I think below you said you had one, but not totally sure of it yet). Then decide what you two want. Live music, DJ, videographer, venue type etc. This site has many vendors and you can get an idea from each that respond to your request what they have to offer, cost, and see if you want to talk to them. For the things you want to consider, find a checklist. You can do a google search for one or my site has one you can download. Use it for a guideline.

A great site where you can connect with other brides and with vendors and get information is www.bridaltweet.com. Free to use and a great site.

If your budget allows, talk to a planner in your area or the area where you plan to get married. Many offer full service all the way to just giviing guidance. It helps.

You can find a checklist at www.desertlightweddings.com

Good luck and enjoy your planning...this is your time!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings
Day2RememberEventsDay2RememberEventsPosts: 4 June 4, 2010
There are many vendors, planners, reception sites etc.. on here that can be of much help. I suggest contacting a wedding planner in your area... you will be surprised how much they have to offer. And if you choose the right planner your wedding day for the both of you should be enjoyable and stress free. HAPPY PLANNING!
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 9, 2010
Is it possible to have a nice formal wedding and a casual reception for under $5,000. Or do I up the budget to$10,000?
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 June 10, 2010
To sbarnhart1974 - yes you can do it for about $5000 but it depends on size and what you want (entertainment, venue(s), food, drink). Your decor can be something you create on your own and can be gorgeous (wedding in Hilton Head the bride made hers for about $22 each table...I am going to use the idea they looked so great). Get your invitations and flowers from somewhere llike www.costco.com. Again look great, no issue with quality, and you can save money. Don't skimp on your photographer...these are your memories BUT shop around. Look for discounts and packages from your vendors. You can do it.

Here is a link to a blog I wrote. The title is under $15K however the wedding was more like $5K with about 60 guests, beautiful venue, DJ, and great food. http://thewedhub.com/index.php/how-to-plan-a-15k-wedding-in-arizona/

Hope this helps!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings
(480) 235-0325
contact@desertlightweddings.com
yourstylewedding2010yourstylewedding2010Posts: 2 June 11, 2010
Congratulations on getting married! I know how hectic it can be planning a wedding. Im a wedding planner and if you need help, I can assist you. For more information you can visit www.yourstyleweddingplanner.com Best wushes on this exciting journey!
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 11, 2010
We knew what our colors for the wedding was going to be. The dress was the hard part. Found the first dress. Got ruined had to go and get a second wedding dress. Now is getting the party favors and the deposits.
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 16, 2010
DesertLightWeddings wrote:
To sbarnhart1974 - yes you can do it for about $5000 but it depends on size and what you want (entertainment, venue(s), food, drink). Your decor can be something you create on your own and can be gorgeous (wedding in Hilton Head the bride made hers for about $22 each table...I am going to use the idea they looked so great). Get your invitations and flowers from somewhere llike www.costco.com. Again look great, no issue with quality, and you can save money. Don't skimp on your photographer...these are your memories BUT shop around. Look for discounts and packages from your vendors. You can do it.

Here is a link to a blog I wrote. The title is under $15K however the wedding was more like $5K with about 60 guests, beautiful venue, DJ, and great food. http://thewedhub.com/index.php/how-to-plan-a-15k-wedding-in-arizona/

Hope this helps!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings
(480) 235-0325
contact@desertlightweddings.com
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 16, 2010
I'm in NY. I am having second thoughts about my venue they want the deposit upfront. All of it. I'm not sure if I can do that! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 June 16, 2010
Many venues and vendors want the deposit when you sign the contract to lock in your date. If you cannot do all of it at once, talk to them. Tell them what you can do for example, if they want 1/2 now and 1/2 30-60 days prior to your wedding, say I can do 1/4 now and in 30 days or whatever (don't have when your wedding date is so I'm just picking a timeline here) I can do the remaining 1/4 of the deposit.
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 23, 2010
Go to www.1weddingsource.com. There they have a 72 page step-by-step planning guide. My wedding is next year and I have been using that reliously. As far as venues, keep looking on the internet. They even have a check list. This should help you out. There are also articles within the planner that you can print out as well. The first thing that I did, was to call the courthouse in your state to find out how much in advance you need to get the marriage license. There are things that you can personally change in the checklists that comes with this booklet as well as budget planning guide.
Guest June 24, 2010
sbarnhart1974: You most definitely can have a beautiful wedding for 5,000$ the biggest factor is how big your invite list is. I recently flew to Idaho to do a wedding and the total cost was about 3,200$> It can be done. You can be thrifty without being cheap. Be creative and ask for help. Good Luck...Taylor Made Dreams <3
avers462402avers462402Posts: 1 June 24, 2010
Stress-free wedding planning begins now with Amiress Versil Wedding & Event Planning!
Your engagement is a special time that you should enjoy to the fullest. Don't spend it stressing out about your wedding details. We'll discuss all your ideas at length, then design a plan with a variety of options for you to consider. When you give us the go-ahead, we'll make it all happen, keeping you updated regularly, of course. You can just sit back and sample cake, taste champagne,
and smell the roses. Our prices are affordable.
Visit our website for more information www.pwpfl.com
agillum5agillum5Posts: 17 June 26, 2010
Hi, congrats on your engagement! I hope you are finding everything that you need. There is so much info out there, and loads of info and plenty of people waiting to give it....... If there is anything I can do to help you please feel free to call me or email me anytime and I will be more than happy to help. Take care. Aimee Gillum owner of DIVAlity EVENTS www.divalityevents.com ag_wedding_planner@yahoo.com
trlyblsd4utrlyblsd4uPosts: 10 June 29, 2010
Try finding a "Full Service Wedding Planning Company" that will handle every detail so u won't have to stress over anything. Planning your wedding should be exciting and fun, and enjoyable. Not stressing you out to the point of no return. Call us and we'll travel and help u out if u can't find no one there to help u wink

Αlpha & Ωmega Event Consultants & More...
www.alphaandomegaevent.com
Office 904.720.0067
Fax 904.720.0035
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 30, 2010
I am now back at square one. My wedding is for June 25, 2011. We looked at our venue yesterday, now come to find out it is about $5,000. HELP
trlyblsd4utrlyblsd4uPosts: 10 June 30, 2010
sbarnhart1974 wrote:
I am now back at square one. My wedding is for June 25, 2011. We looked at our venue yesterday, now come to find out it is about $5,000. HELP

Where are u getting married at? U r looking for the wrong venues in the area u r preparing to marry in. Alpha & Omega will handle all the details for u, so u can enjoy planning ur wedding stress free. We provide affordable pricing to fit every budget, and willl travel to get the job done.

Αlpha & Ωmega Florist
http://www.alphaandomegaevent.com/Floral-Design.html
Office 904.720.0067
Fax 904.720.0035
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 June 30, 2010
We were planning on getting married at the Benn Conger Inn in Groton, NY until we got a our menue for the buffet style reception. Our guests were going to go away hungry. We were told that it would be about 4k for what we wanted until they emailed us and told us does not include granutiy and tax.
faati463491faati463491Posts: 5 July 1, 2010
Wow...it is a lot of work planning a wedding. I know because I am planning mine right now as well. My wedding is January 3, 2011. We have a budget of $11,500 for the entire wedding including the honeymoon (well, he's actually the one paying for everything). But of course I am trying to save him money because when he get married his money will be my money and I don't want it to be hard for us. I want to leave enough money so that in case something happens we will have money saved up.
Now, I've been looking for a hall for a long time now and I think I found one. What we are doing is just simply renting a hall and we are going to have some people we know who cooks really good food cater for us. The hall is beautiful. We have to decorate it ourselves, but I have 3 sisters who are willing to do that. I just buy the supplies and explain to them how I want it. You do not need a wedding planner. Make it a fun experience..you only get married once. Find someone you are really close with and ask him/her to help you with the planning. Also maybe try looking for somewhere that will just a rent out a hall to you
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 July 2, 2010
faatin119 wrote:
Wow...it is a lot of work planning a wedding. I know because I am planning mine right now as well. My wedding is January 3, 2011. We have a budget of $11,500 for the entire wedding including the honeymoon (well, he's actually the one paying for everything). But of course I am trying to save him money because when he get married his money will be my money and I don't want it to be hard for us. I want to leave enough money so that in case something happens we will have money saved up.
Now, I've been looking for a hall for a long time now and I think I found one. What we are doing is just simply renting a hall and we are going to have some people we know who cooks really good food cater for us. The hall is beautiful. We have to decorate it ourselves, but I have 3 sisters who are willing to do that. I just buy the supplies and explain to them how I want it. You do not need a wedding planner. Make it a fun experience..you only get married once. Find someone you are really close with and ask him/her to help you with the planning. Also maybe try looking for somewhere that will just a rent out a hall to you

Wow! your getting married on my birthday! The more you have the help you need, the better off you are. What is the theme of your wedding?
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 July 5, 2010
Wedding redo: Dress layaway=bridal store. Shoes got when bought my first dress. Some centerpieces. Maid of Honor Done, making sure that money will be set aside to pay all vendors prepaid credit card Jewlery earrings from the soon to be husband! Bracelet=dollar store,centerpieces=dollar store party favors=dollar stores.Party favors= beach theme party supplies
kalai467629kalai467629Posts: 4 July 5, 2010
Jcornwell86 wrote:

I do destination weddings. View my work at WWW.KALAIDECAM.COM. I was recently published on the Examiner. You can read at:

Article #1
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-46806-Santa-Ana-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2010m6d24-Victoria-Le-The-Orange-County-photographer-who-is-breaking-the-mold-Part-I?cid=sharing_facebook%3A46806

Article #2
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-46806-Santa-Ana-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2010m6d25-Victoria-Le-The-Orange-County-photographer-who-is-breaking-the-mold-Part-II?cid=sharing_facebook%3A46806
crosb439957crosb439957Posts: 5 July 8, 2010
i really dont appercite people talking about their own wedding on my blog. write your own
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 July 12, 2010
What are some of the wesites you have gone to? there are several. I have been to several myself. Keep in mind that most websites are for platium brides and grooms I have found that out myself.
SuppliesSuppliesPosts: 5 July 15, 2010
hi, We have a website at weddingsuppliesunlimited.com to help you with all your wedding shopping we sell personalized wedding accessories, favors, invitations we also have a wedding guide to help answer some of your wedding questions please call us if you have any questions at 401-692-2500.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: