price increases each visit Messages in this topic - RSS

price increases each visit Messages in this topic - RSS

Guest May 17, 2010
we have put a deposit down for a brand new beautiful place to hold our wedding and reception in September. When we booked (Oct 2009), the buidling was near completion and the owner told us she did not have a price list printed yet, but did give us prices verbally and said the price list and contract would be ready by the end of December. We agreed to put down a deposit at that time to hold the facility, because she offered better prices over all. We still have not been able to get a contract and each time we meet she has added additional prices. Ex: We were told it was $3/each to rent chair covers and Now an additional $500 to have them pressed and put on the chairs. We are tempted to tell her if we don't have the contract and price list by the end of the week, we will cancel with her; however, it's getting too late to find another facility. Any ideas?
Guest May 17, 2010
First of all...there is such a thing as a gentlemen's agreement. If she gave you a quote for services verbally and you put money down you do have some recourse, however it could be a long drawn out debacle. I would politely let her know that you need a contract "NOW" because you are nearing your wedding date and you have to be certain of your budget. Remind her of the price she quoted you, maybe even on paper and then let her know that if the price becomes much more you will not be able to use here services. As for your deposit...you will either have to chalk it up as a loss or persue her legally for its return.
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 May 17, 2010
Follow your instincts. If she cannot provide a firm contract price by now then she is either untrustworthy or unprofessional. Either way, you will lose.
AJMorrisPhotographyAJMorrisPhotographyPosts: 28 May 17, 2010
Where are you located?
Guest May 17, 2010
Central Arkansas
photogkimphotogkimPosts: 1 May 17, 2010
i realize its late, but i would start looking elsewhere. you should have something in writing. if you requested and she has been unwilling then this venue is unprofessional. it is alot to count on for your wedding day. i would be looking elsewhere if it were me.
lsmdjlsmdjPosts: 10 May 17, 2010
I would start looking elsewhere for another facility. Once you find one, demand your deposit back. Remember, you don't have a signed contract and she keeps raising the prices on you.
Guest May 17, 2010
I would tell this woman that she verbally told you a price and that her price on the chair and chair covers are OK but $500.00 to iron them is absurd. I am a wedding planner. I deal with a woman who has chair covers and other types of linens. The chair covers are $1.50 a piece. How many chair covers are you getting for $500.00? Is she supplying the chair and the cover? $3.00 would be a fair price for both. My lady that supplies me with the linens, brings them to me washed,ironed and folded. After the event she picks them up at my address they are all dirty and piled in a bin. We are in Washington State and I have searched for the least expensive white wooden chairs and the least expensive chair covers. So $3.00 for the chair and cover coming from the venue is OK. If she doesn't give you a contract NOW and uphold her deal of $3.00 for the chair and cover, I would kiss her good-bye. Get another venue and send her a bill for the return of your deposit. If she doesn't return your deposit take her to small claims court ASAP. Make some waves for her if she doesn't cooperate with you. Also tell her that you will post derogatory messages on the internet about her venue on as many local wedding blogs as you can, also local Google and Yahoo. If you have any question on how to post on those sights or blogs let me know I will help you. Email me at hindahoney@gmail.com I am sorry that you got into such a mess. You have enough to think about now in your pre-wedding state of mind. Everything will turn out alright. Just take a deep breath and chalk this up to the experience of planning a wedding. Maybe you should have a local wedding planner handle this
problem. Or someone in your family or a friend that is a negotiator type person who would go to bat for you and speak to this woman to make her understand that you mean business and you are not going to be ripped off. After all weddings are so expensive and we don't need our wedding industry to have rip off people in it.
I hope this helps you with your very untimely problem. Be blessed. Exercise your right to have things justified and make a stand with honor and grace. Just lay out the facts nicely and firmly.
AJMorrisPhotographyAJMorrisPhotographyPosts: 28 May 18, 2010
Have you put a deposit down for the wedding planner? If so, is it refundable? Because I know a better wedding planner that is willing to give you better service than what you described at a way better rate.
info180485info180485Posts: 14 May 18, 2010
I suggest that you create your own contract and have the vendor sign it. Include a clause that vendor is unable to provide their own contract at time of visit but will present one within 5 business days. If one is not presented this contract/agreement will serve as reservation of (location), for (event) on (date) at above stated pricing.

I have had vendors who state they don't do contracts or procrastinate so I always create one between them and the client. Clients contract with me as sole event planner, I bring vendors to them and they choose who they want therefore that relationship is between client and vendor (not event planner).
Good luck but you must do this immediately.
Guest May 18, 2010
IF SHE IS UNWILLING TO GIVE YOU A SIGN CONTRACT WITH THE PRICE YOU VERBALLY AGREED UPON THEN YOU NEED TO WALK AWAY. THIS SOUNDS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNETHICAL.
LshoemakeLshoemakePosts: 1 July 21, 2010
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm from central Arkansas also. Would you mind telling me where this is?
sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 July 22, 2010
I know that it is getting close to your wedding day. I would look at hotels and see what they can offer.
MrMusicMrMusicPosts: 10 July 24, 2010
I feel for you but I have watched enough of those "judge shows" on TV to learn that nothing shoudl ever be done without a contract. You might have gotten "caught" on this.
FlowerknifeFlowerknifePosts: 5 July 26, 2010
Most chair covered rentals in our area are $6.00 each. $3.00 would be a steal. I would be very careful about posting derogatory statements on the internet about a business. It is called libel and slander unless you can prove every word of what you state. She may be an inexperienced business owner but that does not necessarily make her a scam artist or a rip off.
Check with other chair cover providers to see what the going rate in your area is. Also, most places will let you rent them from some one else and have them put on by an outside company.
I would get that contract in writing ASAP and if they do not get one to you get your deposit back.
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 July 26, 2010
I'm with Flowerknife -
as long as the other issues of the reception are fine, this is a good time to look over a contract - you do have the right not to sign it in front of her by explaining you want your parents (or legal representative) to read it first. Since you love the place, do tell her that you are going to look for other vendors to provide the linens. since you did not sign anything to this effect, she should be agreeable. see link below for inexpensive and fairly good quality table linens at a discount. Good luck in your wedding plans.

Best regards,
Lise'
Creative Director
www.allenspatzphotography.com
Link for linens:

http://www.efavormart.com/chaircoverandsashes.aspx

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: