Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn and Have Fun!!! Messages in this topic - RSS

Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn and Have Fun!!! Messages in this topic - RSS

DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 Somerville, MA September 14, 2012

It wasn’t a birthday party, but it was more fun than a typical birthday party and a precursor to a quarter birthday party.

On September 11, 2012 I presented an Education by Entertainment program titled Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn and Have Fun!!! to selected engineering students at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts. While the primary purpose of this program was to introduce the students to designing products and systems so that they will be safe, easy and fun to use, the program itself was presented in the form of a game show. During this program students were asked to participate in activities which illustrated what people can and cannot do. Some activities involved the entire audience and some of the activities involved an “on stage” participant or a small group of “on stage” participants. The activities were a “ton of fun.” Indeed, the program as a whole was more fun than a typical party.

An example of a group activity involved having the entire audience spell the word SPOT really fast five times, and then answering the question “What do you do at a green light?” People wanted to say “Stop”, but of course, the right answer would normally be “Go.

An example of a small group activity was having an on stage participant perform a variety of tasks while wearing inversion prisms which made everything appear to be upside down.

Successfully completing an individual or small group activity qualified the participant as a semifinalist. At the conclusion of the program the audience selected a Champion from all of the semifinalists. Prizes (including birthday t-shirts, birthday hats, birthday bandanas and ribbons (as shown in photo on right) as well as trophies, plush animals, buttons, magnets, and cards (shown in the photo album)) were awarded to the champion, semifinalists and other audience members.

While I had intended to provide refreshments during the program, audience members and I became so involved in the program that I did not remember to serve the refreshments until everyone went home.

Room decorations were limited to setting up a prize table, because the room did not become available to us until 10 minutes before the program was scheduled to begin.

A photo album of the program was placed on SlideShare. The SlideShare team was obviously very impressed with the album as they chose to feature it on their homepage on September 14, 2012 (SlideShare features just a few of the thousands of presentations uploaded each day).

Congratulations are due to our Champion Raewyn Duval, and our semifinalists Charlie Brickley, Evan Starr, and Josh Leuing. Special thanks are due to our sponsor Dr. Daniel J. Hannon and to Josh Pfosi who helped with the program.

The complete album may be viewed on SlideShare.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph. D.
Education By Entertainment
edited by DrRonShapiro on 11/11/2013
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 Cumberland, RI October 10, 2012
On October 5, 2012 I presented my Education By Entertainment program titled Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn & Have Fun!!! to students at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston MA.

While the program content was the same as the Tufts program on September 11, each Education by Entertainment program really takes on a personality of its own depending upon who is in the audience, and this one was not an exception.

The Wentworth students were all highly engaged, eager to participate, learned a lot, and had a ton of fun, as were the Tufts students last month as you will see when you view the Wentworth photo album. A special congratulations to:
  • Jill Kishfy, Champion
  • Christina Fenton, Semifinalist
  • Amaly Miranda, Semifinalist
  • Zack Richards, Semifinalist
  • Anthony Travaglini, Semifinalist
  • Bouchra Zeroual, Semifinalist
  • Ralf Schneider, Sponsor
A special thanks for the:
Ron
Education by Entertainment

edited by DrRonShapiro on 10/7/2013
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 Hamden, CT October 16, 2012
On October 13, 2012 I presented my Education By Entertainment program titled Games to Illustrate Human Performance to teachers from New England at Connecticut's Science Education Conference (CSEC) at Hamden Middle School in Hamden CT. The setting was a typical Middle School. Numerous classrooms and the auditorium were used for programs and presentations. There were numerous exhibits set up in the gymnasium. Breakfast (bagels, fruit, muffins, danish) and lunch (Chicken Parmesan, pasta, salad) were served in the cafeteria.

The Education by Entertainment program content overlapped with the Tufts program on September 11 and the Wentworth program on October 5. None of the programs were parties, but I would suggest that all of the programs were more fun than most parties. Review the word cloud below which presents the one word summary of the program provided by each of the CSEC attendees and see if you agree. Similarly, all of the programs provided useful, easy to learn and to easy to remember information. The CSEC photo album may be viewed on SlideShare. Copies of the certificates presented to the champion and each of the semifinalists are also available on SlideShare.

A special congratulations to:
  • Maureen Mikos, Champion
  • Rick Glatz, Semifinalist
  • Mary Looney, Semifinalist
  • Debbie Rusatsky, Semifinalist
  • Humphrey Wong, Semifinalist
Ron

edited by DrRonShapiro on 8/13/2014
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 September 15, 2013
On September 12, 2013 I presented my Education By Entertainment program titled Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn & Have Fun!!! to students at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston MA.

While the program content was the same as the 2012 Wentworth program, each Education by Entertainment program really takes on a personality of its own depending upon who is in the audience.

The Wentworth students learned a lot, enjoyed the program and had a ton of fun as you will see when you view the 2013 Wentworth photo album. A word cloud showing the one word evaluations of the program submitted by the attendees is included on page 3 of the album.

• Alejandra Garcia, Champion
  • Cam Silveri, Semifinalist
  • Nicole D’Ambrosio, Semifinalist
  • Victor Zhu, Semifinalist
  • Chris Zimmitti, Semifinalist
  • Brenton LaCombe, Semifinalist
  • Bob Rice, Semifinalist
  • Tyler Dennis, Semifinalist
A special thanks to:
  • Shwethee Kale, Support Team
  • Michelle Stoner, Support Team
  • Alejandra Garcia, Support Team
  • Ralf Schneider, Sponsor.

Ron

edited by DrRonShapiro on 9/15/2013
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 Daytona Beach, FL November 10, 2013
On November 7, 2013 I presented my Education By Entertainment program titled Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn & Have Fun!!! to students and faculty at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach FL.

While the program content was similar to other Games to Explain Human Factors programs, each Education by Entertainment program really takes on a personality of its own depending upon who is in the audience.

The Embry-Riddle students learned a lot, enjoyed the program and had a ton of fun as you will see when you view the 2013 Embry-Riddle photo album and the 2013 Embry-Riddle Champion and Finalist Certificates. A word cloud showing the one word evaluations of the program submitted by the attendees is included on page 3 of the album.

• Rebecca DeMarco, Champion
    • Nishant Karvinkop, Semifinalist
    • Karla Naomi Candelaria, Semifinalist
    • Kristen Miskovik, Semifinalist
    • Clarivel Del Castillo, Semifinalist
    • Saamalu Mataafas, Semifinalist
    A special thanks to:

Ron

edited by DrRonShapiro on 11/11/2013
    DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 Washington, DC 7 days ago

On August 7, 2014 I presented my Education By Entertainment program titled Games to Explain Human Factors: Come, Participate, Learn & Have Fun!!! to students and faculty at the American Psychological Association (APA) Annual Conference in Washington DC.

While the program content was similar to other Games to Explain Human Factors programs, each Education by Entertainment program really takes on a personality of its own depending upon who is in the audience. The program participants at APA 2014 included students, high school and college faculty as well as practitioners in the field of Psychology.

Participants learned a lot, enjoyed the program and had a ton of fun as you will see when you view the:

• Anastasiya Tsoy, Champion
    • Maria Vita, Finalist
    • Joe McDonald, Semifinalist
    • Jeanan Joyner, Semifinalist
    • Kari McArthur, Semifinalist.

A special thanks to:

Ron

Move Thread

Merge Thread