Non traditional Reception Messages in this topic - RSS

Non traditional Reception Messages in this topic - RSS

candy108655
candy108655
So my groom and I are an older (50's)smile couple. We are planning a small intimate ceremony for 50 with an elegant sit down dinner. We want a non traditional more elegant wedding reception with only some of the rituals. He doesnt want a dance floor but I want music. I don't want it to come off as just a party but I am at a lose as to what we could do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Guest June 28, 2011
Use live music instead of a DJ.
JoyfulPromisesOfficiants
JoyfulPromisesOfficiants
Congratulations! Fifty-something's fall in love, too....wink

Consider a non-traditional venue. Couples in our area have held their receptions at our local aviation museum. If either of you have a special interest, that might suggest a similar location for you.

Other unique venue examples: I attended a wedding held at the Chicago Cultural Center (which used to be the city's largest library). Beautiful architecture and history! In Joliet we have the historic Rialto Theatre, where weddings and receptions are held in its beautifully restored lobby.

Is there a mansion nearby that rents out space for parties/receptions? A cocktail reception there with harpist or pianist might be the thing.

What about a botanic garden or arboretum for your reception? If you chose a place like this, you could hire a Hawaiian/Tahitian dance group to provide some unique entertainment for your guests.

Hope this has sparked some ideas....

Best wishes,
Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises
http://www.joyfulpromises.com
mbrown69
mbrown69
Hi, congrats to you both. I always thought it would be neat to go to a restaurant that they played next to your table while you were eating. Maybe some string instrument or a harp. I wondered if that would be possible at a reception.
I like the ideas listed by Joyful Promices.
bclancy64
bclancy64
Using live string instrumentalists are your best bet. It gives you elegance with a graceful ambience and you can probably get this reasonably priced by checking with your local colleges including any christian colleges. Check with your church as well to see if they know of any members that play as well. Hopefully this was helpful and congratulations to you both.
justc293879
justc293879
I have delivered several cakes to Lac De Fleur Gardens in Washougal. It's a very beautiful English gardens with a large pond setting. Shawna has a specially built carraige house for receptions if the weather should turn. You sould take a look at the webpage if anything, it's beautiful up there!! It's perfect for a small string quartet, or you could talk her hubby into playing his guitar (instrumentalist) WOW.
www.lacdefluergardens.com (I hope) it will come up in the search engines.

Guest July 5, 2011
I live in a very small town. So most of the options already listed aren't available here. However, we have a historical brick hotel in our downtown area that allows weddings and receptions both in a convention room and on the roof which is beautiful at sunset. And most hotels have a catering service and enough room for a live band.
CharmedEvents
CharmedEvents
The roof would be a great romantic spot with nice scenery. Maybe have a jazz band instead of a DJ or loud live music. Or use a violinist. Do the first dance as you enter the roof top as a couple and then have jazz music or some other soft level romantic music (such as a pianist) playing through dinner. Makes for a nice, elegant, reception.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: