$ Tips? $ Messages in this topic - RSS

$ Tips? $ Messages in this topic - RSS

Guest April 28, 2011
I am getting married soon and my Dad said that I need to have extra cash to tip the officiant. If the ceremony goes well a thank you with a little extra $ seems like the right thing to do. My officiant has been a gem. She has answered all my questions and helped me make the ceremony the way my fiance wants. She was the cheapest in my area (only 100 and others I talked to were 3 or 4 times as much!) and she is bringing a microphone for us too. What is the right tip for an officiant? Do I have to do this for everyone? photographer? He was way more expensive!
I don't want to go over budget! Help!
voglanvoglanPosts: 6 April 28, 2011
I would say a $50.00 dollar tip seems appropriate, after all you are getting a good deal!
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 April 28, 2011
You did get a great price for officiating! We're often the lowest paid wedding professional, yet highly visible having a tremendous impact on the ceremony and required by law if the wedding is to result in a legal marriage.

It's lovely to see someone who appreciates the effort that goes in to officiating and wants to acknowledge that. Good officiants really do pour their heart and soul into each and every wedding they perform.

Gratuities for officiants are neither required nor expected, but always appreciated. I have received cash gratuities ranging from $10 to $100. I have also received restaurant gift certificates which are nice because I can treat my family to a special occasion without it coming out of the family budget.

I've not heard of tipping photographers, but no one would ever turn down a monetary thank you.

I would say go with your instincts and do what feels right for you.

Best Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
http://www.brevardminister.com

P.S. I also like to hear she is bringing a microphone. I do that as well. Not much worse than a wedding no one can hear!
Guest April 28, 2011
I've been in the biz as an entertainer for 30+ years and not heard of tipping an officiant....but all the vendors @ a wedding are in the "service" biz and it doesn't surprise me....a tip is nice but shouldn't be expected by vendors.....for private functions such as a wedding where I am the DJ......I do not put out a "tip jar" @ weddings....I feel it cheapens the event.but I know many who do......we are already paid for service......but bartenders seem to have no problem with this....and guests seem to think they have to tip the bartender......and if it's an open bar.....they tip more!....I've seen them make $100's of dollars....for doing nothing but serving free drinks!.....while the DJ works his butt off to please getting no extra....anyway...a little extra for those who you think did a great job for you is nice an appreciated greatly but in no way a requirement!
Troy Robinson
Robinson Entertainment
Robertsdale, AL
1-877-431-2430
Guest April 28, 2011
If she helped you with everything and will deliver your wedding under budget than I would say a generous tip would be the way to go. Also, a glowing and sincere referral goes a long way! If you are able to help her attract more clients and help her grow her business then you are building relationships which will translate to real $$$.
Cory
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 April 28, 2011
Troy, I would estimate about 25% of my couples have given me some sort of gratuity, whether it is cash or a gift of some kind.
djabrasaxdjabrasaxPosts: 33 April 28, 2011
Tipping the officiant $50 was good advice back in 1990. From a DJs point of view, I can no longer rely on tips, and I thank OPEC! When gas prices started getting crazy four years ago, tips suffered. When gas prices dropped, tips came back. Now that they are not dropping to pre-Katrina levels, what was once a $100 tip (for the DJ) from a happy FOB, is now an $8 tip, and I'd rather they keep it, because obviously they NEED it lol. After eight years as DJ / owner, I realize I can no longer rely on tips, and price my packages over $1000 in order to ensure quality service.

As a Wedding Planner, I think your officiant must LOVE you to charge you 1/3 of the market rate for your Ceremony. Judge for yourself, based on how much he helps you during the rehearsal, whether you will tip $50 or more!
MAGEventsMAGEventsPosts: 27 April 30, 2011
If you've had an amazing experience, thanking your officiant is more than ok. Most other vendors charge a 10-20% service charge, and still get tipped on top. Of course, word of mouth and referrals are always a great way to pay it forward as well. If you've had a great experience, it's because of the vendors/professionals you've selected! They are a part of your special day!
prowl676638prowl676638Posts: 2 May 2, 2011
Looking for inexpensive yet charming venues for a wedding on the water in Oklahoma
wthurowwthurowPosts: 34 June 14, 2011
I'm a FL Officiant. I'm sure I would lose jobs if I tacked on an extra service charge into my fee as a 'tip'. People in my area have had it pretty hard for the past couple of years. Most of the communities around are rural so when the cost of gas and food went up - and many people lost jobs, they have had to do more with much less cash. This past year I've done alot more back yard weddings, do-it-yourself-weddings, and outdoor ceremonies in gardens and parks than ever before. www.oursimpleceremony.com I keep costs at a minimum and pass that savings onto my clients; tips are Greatly Appreciated. Referrals are wonderful too. Like Rev. Fuller said, Officiants are one of the least expensive parts of the entire wedding yet have an important job to do. I don't know if it is tradition or protocol, but it is common to tip the Officiant.
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 June 15, 2011
wthurow wrote:
Referrals are wonderful too.

That may be one of the best "gratuities" of all.

Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
JoyfulPromisesOfficiantsJoyfulPromisesOfficiantsPosts: 82 June 15, 2011
In keeping with Rev. Ann's comments, the officiant is probably the least expensive service provider but plays the most pivotal role -- you can't get married without us!

I'm outside of Chicago, and about a third of my clients have given me a gratuity -- never expected but always appreciated. The gratuities average about 15% of my fee. However, I also agree that referrals are a most welcome form of "gratuity"!

If you feel your officiant has gone over and above his/her official duties to provide you with the kind of wedding you want, a gratutity would be appropriate, but certainly not required or expected.

I'm sure your instincts will guide you....

Best wishes,
Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises
http://www.joyfulpromises.com
Guest June 16, 2011
Yes, it is proper to tip your waitress, your hairdresser, and your Wedding Officiant.
johnson5johnson5Posts: 2 October 8, 2011
Hi,

i will getting married in next year. so, i don't no how can plan my wedding budget for hole wedding? anyone suggest how to make easy wedding in low budget.
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 October 8, 2011
Hi Johnson5,
You should check out the Forum Discussion http://www.eventective.com/forum/topic194-ideas-for-cheapest-wedding.aspx.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Education By Entertainment
Guest October 30, 2011
I have to respond to the DJ stating that bartenders sometimes make $100 in tips 'for just making drinks"...oh buddy you have no clue...that bartender makes a LOW wage, was there hours earlier setting up, waiting for guests to arrive, hopefully making everyone happy, staying quick, remembering who was drinking what, having to watch for, and take responsibility for minors, dealing with people who've had too much...etc. etc..then cleaning and taking down the mess when it's all over...all YOU'VE done is played music...bahahaha...without tips, service people earn nada...nothing...

And YES please tip your officiant, at least $25-75 as per your budget...and also your bartender, servers, and even the DJ.
Sandr489071Sandr489071Posts: 22 November 15, 2011
Since she is the cheapest in the area, you saved money using her service. Tip her $50 - $75, depending on your budget or what you can afford.

Good Luck,
Sandra
http://www.yourweddinggirl.com
dj761779dj761779Posts: 1 December 14, 2011
Tip early and tip often smile

But, seriously if someone does a great job as vendor for your wedding tip them at least $50. If you do not want to tip people then feel free to go to the court house.
BigDaddy78264BigDaddy78264Posts: 2 January 11, 2012
After reading all the posts in this thread, I have to agree that tipping your service vendors is greatly appreciated, but not required. I am a DJ as well as a few other folks that responded. We charge an appropriate amount for our weddings. There have been times when we have been asked at the wedding to do something out of the scope of the contract and for that, I do expect to be tipped because I went above and beyond what was expected and there have been times when I've not been tipped for that service. For the bartender who thinks that all we do is play music?....wow, you are uneducated, aren't you. My company helps the newlyweds plan everything from who will say the prayer to their dances with their parents. We are usually the first to get to the venue because of all our equipment and the last to leave most times. Our company never puts out a tip jar at our private events, but we have been tipped from all kinds of folks but mostly from the bridal party. Final words - go with your instinct. Tip if you feel like you got more than your $$'s worth and make sure you tell everyone about the great service you received. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 January 11, 2012
BigDaddy78264 wrote:
For the bartender who thinks that all we do is play music?....

In my experience, the quality of the DJ makes a tremendous difference. From my perspective as an officiant, inattentive DJs can easily screw up the processional and recessional music making for awkward and embarrassing moments at the ceremony. The reception is something else altogether and DJs have an enormous impact on the flow and tone of the celebration. They aren't just hitting the play button, they are the MCs for the event as well. These responsibilities lend themselves better to some personalities than others. I've seen DJs revitalize a flat event and turn it into a party and DJs ruin a happy occasion and turn it into something one merely endures.
JoyfulPromisesOfficiantsJoyfulPromisesOfficiantsPosts: 82 January 11, 2012
Here's how I would handle tips:

From a budget standpoint, PLAN to tip those vendors who provide a service (DJ, photographer, officiant, hairdresser, etc.) a 10% - 15% tip. Then you'll have the money in your budget to tip them IF there are those you feel warrant a tip, once they've provided their service.

If none of your service providers have earned a tip in your opinion, you'll have a little money left over from your wedding, and you can say it came in under budget! smile

Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 January 11, 2012
JoyfulPromisesOfficiants wrote:
Here's how I would handle tips:

From a budget standpoint, PLAN to tip those vendors who provide a service (DJ, photographer, officiant, hairdresser, etc.) a 10% - 15% tip. Then you'll have the money in your budget to tip them IF there are those you feel warrant a tip, once they've provided their service.

If none of your service providers have earned a tip in your opinion, you'll have a little money left over from your wedding, and you can say it came in under budget! smile

Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises

What a great idea!

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: