All Messages By MrMusic

All Messages By MrMusic

July 13, 2010
Topic:
I'm thinking of starting a wedding planner business---what do you think?

MrMusic
MrMusic
Hi everyone

I have a question for Brides, Grooms, Wedding Planners and anyone else that wants to give me some advice.

I am seriously thinking of starting a small wedding planner business in Western Washington. I have been a mobile DJ for 14 years and have learned much about the wedding business. I feel like this is a business I could handle and learn very easy but I have one worry in the back of my mind.....

I have never seen a wedding planner who is a man! Would bride's hire a male wedding planner? Would there be something you can think of where I'd be at an instant disadvantage of because I am a man? I want to get off to a great start but this one thing is a nagging question. Should there be real reasons why a man should not be a wedding planner, maybe I'll stick to my mobile DJ business that I do well but I am looking for a change and challenge and this job seems attractive to me and has a great chance to be within my skills set and knowledge base.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. DJ Dave
July 13, 2010
Topic:
I'm thinking of starting a wedding planner business---what do you think?

MrMusic
MrMusic
Thanks myiandfa, your thoughts are very encouraging. DJ Dave
July 23, 2010
Topic:
Wedding Ediquite Questions

MrMusic
MrMusic
I tend to agree with the other person who wrote that food and chairs should be provided by you
but
you know your wedding guests better than we. Some families are so helpful and family oriented that they will bend over backwards to be accomodating to a couple on a thin budget. If you believe that both of your families are that relaxed and helpful, I'd say go for it on your invitations. Paint the picture of a very relaxed and infomal event where a variety of chairs and people sitting wherever they put their chair down will be OK with you. Offer to provide a chair for those that do not have one or for the elderly who it might be an inconvenience to try to get one there.

All of your wedding decisions should be made with your needs AND the needs of your guests in mind.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
Balloons for a wedding, tacky or ok?

MrMusic
MrMusic
I strongly disagree with the people who have written that it is tacky no matter what. As a mobile DJ that has seen a wide sample of balloons at weddings I can say this.

When you do it yourself - less is better. Have a few that are color coordinated placed in very special spots. The brides that have many have often sort of "over done it."

Way better is when I have seen professional balloon displays. If balloons are your thing, hire a pro. Ask to see some of their displays or pics of their displays at wedding receptions so you have a better time imagining what it would look like.

One of the prettiest times I saw a ceremony with balloons was when they hired a pro to do a giant (20 foot from foot to foot) balloon arc to get married under. It was inside in a very tall celing room so the wedding couple didn't have to worry about wind.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
price increases each visit

MrMusic
MrMusic
I feel for you but I have watched enough of those "judge shows" on TV to learn that nothing shoudl ever be done without a contract. You might have gotten "caught" on this.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
HELP!!!! My brother wants to play the videographer!

MrMusic
MrMusic
If you were going to hire a videographer, Let your brother be ONE OF the videographers. Unless he has experience shooting video at a wedding before, you risk a poorly shot wedding video depending on him only

You must sit down with yourself and think how important the video is anyway. The vast majority of times I go out to DJ a wedding ceremony and reception, there is no hired videographer. You can look at it as a gift from him that you wouldn't have had anyway.

The vast majority of times I have seen a photographer without a video being taken. Small Video cameras are usually brought out by family members.

I was surprised to learn about the company above who offers a training program. Wow! What a great service! Is your brother willing?

A wedding day is not to be repeated. You want the best people doing things for you when the end results are important to you after the day is over.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
How do I suggest a prenuptial agreement to my fiancee?

MrMusic
MrMusic
Whenever I have heard of this sort of thing, it is given form one to the other as a requirement (not a suggestion) for marriage. More or less like, without the pre-nup, I can't marry you.

If you go there, you'll have to do your research and make sure you have solid reasons for asking. Say exactly what you are trying to protect. Like it or not, a certain amount of marriages in America do not work out and end up in divorce. People genuinely in love find that they can't live with each other. If you want to protect for a possible future maybe a pre-nup is what you need.

I wish people would take their wedding vows seriously "until death do us part" which would result in way less divorce but that's not a reality today.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
Centerpieces take home or rental???

MrMusic
MrMusic
Based on my DJ experience, about 25% of my past clients have requested that I announce to their guests that it is OK to take the centerpieces.

I can't think of any reason not to have them or have them that can help you decide. Good Luck!
July 24, 2010
Topic:
ideas for cheapest wedding

MrMusic
MrMusic
Sometimes cities have Organizations that have their own hall which might be a cheaper option.

Eagles
Elks
Lions
VFW
Grange halls

I've observed many brides that have been able to make a "plain" hall look very elegant with the proper decorations.
July 24, 2010
Topic:
Wedding vastly approaching, need help!!!!!!

MrMusic
MrMusic
DesertLightWeddings wrote:
Hi. Great advice here. You can go to a craft store and make your centerpieces, a place like Costco (warehouse in case not in your area) for flowers and if you still need them invitations. If you do not want to do your backyard, go to a park. Here in Arizona you can get one for just a deposit. If a small wedding, your guests will be fine standing while you do the ceremony (just at one outdoors in Sedona back by a creek). A nice dinner or even a barbeque for your reception works too or just do cake and drinks. Your guests are there for your wedding and not the food . You can find your dress at a site like this http://www.recycledbride.com/ or check Craigslist or something like that. If you feel a planner is out of the question for your actual day, do a time line and then ask a family member or friend not directly involved in the ceremony to manage it for you. It will help. You can email me if you need some advice (no charge) contact@desertlightweddings.com

Congratulations!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings

A note from a DJ that has read many postings by Robbie....I think this person has a big heart....I wish I was in the same state to be able to work with this company. What a giving thing to do...come on here and offer some service for free.