Wedding Ediquite Questions Messages in this topic - RSS

Wedding Ediquite Questions Messages in this topic - RSS

sbarn443751
sbarn443751
ToastEveryone now knows that we upped our wedding date. We are thinking about having it at a local park. Make it a cookout type deal where everyone brings a dish to pass. Is it polite to put on the invitation to bring your own chairs? Because the budget for the wedding is $5,000. We don't want to go over that because of the pastor, the videographer, the photographer, and the dj. And since the only beach I can find for our beach theme wedding is a lake as a back drop, would that be ok. We wanted the wedding to be formal, but the reception casual. Any ideas on how to pull this off without making my wedding super cheap!Angel Wings
BrevardMinister
BrevardMinister
There is nothing wrong with having a casual celebration after your wedding ceremony, but I would probably leave detail instructions such as potluck and chairs to word of mouth, email, notes, etc. and leave it off the invitation.

Best Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
gretc218944
gretc218944
I think it's just fine to announce that you're having a family potluck / picnic or some other word that announces to folks to bring their most scrumptious dish but chairs I'd say provide... Even if that means two weeks prior you start collecting them from friends and storing them in your garage...

I'm thinking about the food wording... Maybe if you choose a theme or say "bring something that makes you think of family" or some other romantic and monumental way of asking your guests to contribute to the entire ambiance of the day - maybe provide table tents for guests to write what makes the dish special and set beside their platters... Could be very lovely smile Or even a beautiful old typewriter that folks could type out the info on tent cards rather than wild handwriting! You could make that very special... Best of luck!

Here is an article I just found on potluck weddings smile
http://offbeatbride.com/2009/06/potluck-wedding-tacky & this looks great for the budget minded bride: http://2000dollarwedding.com/

Gretchen
http://www.facebook.com/GDCompany
invitations4u
invitations4u
There is nothing wrong with including this information on your invitations. We would suggest adding an information card to your invites that it is a casual reception and that guests are requested to bring a comfy chair and a dish to share. You may want to play it safe and have a few spare blankets or maybe disposable dollar store tablecloths along, somebody ALWAYS forgets these things, even when the invite clearly states it.

We invite you to join our invitation give-away as well at http://invitationsofelegance.com/giveaway.htm
sbarn443751
sbarn443751
That is part of my plan to go to the dollar store and get the table clothes in our colors. As well as a small table with the guest books that I have made up. And a few bigger tables to put the favors on.
Flowerknife
Flowerknife
In my humble opinion a wedding reception is an opportunity for you to thank the people in your life that have help to bring you to this important day, having them share in your day and provide them with a meal as a thank you. Why not have a ceremony and dessert? or Perhaps you could limit the guest list to fit your budget. I really do not think that it is appropriate to ask a guest to bring their own seating and food. Two years ago I hosted my brothers wedding, we asked 5 close family members to share in the cooking, set up and clean up. It was a wonderful wedding, most guest thought we had hired a caterer.
MrMusic
MrMusic
I tend to agree with the other person who wrote that food and chairs should be provided by you
but
you know your wedding guests better than we. Some families are so helpful and family oriented that they will bend over backwards to be accomodating to a couple on a thin budget. If you believe that both of your families are that relaxed and helpful, I'd say go for it on your invitations. Paint the picture of a very relaxed and infomal event where a variety of chairs and people sitting wherever they put their chair down will be OK with you. Offer to provide a chair for those that do not have one or for the elderly who it might be an inconvenience to try to get one there.

All of your wedding decisions should be made with your needs AND the needs of your guests in mind.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: