Wedding vastly approaching, need help!!!!!! Messages in this topic - RSS

Wedding vastly approaching, need help!!!!!! Messages in this topic - RSS

sbarn443751sbarn443751Posts: 190 July 20, 2010
I too am on a very tight budget. For my wedding I am making my own centerpieces. And having the invitations, save the date magnents, the response cards professionally made. As well as a banner. My bouquets are fake. But I am getting a lot of stuff from oriental Trade Magazine as well. A couple of itmes are expensive but that would be worth doing what you can yourself and will save money. I am recycling cans and bottles as well as setting aside money every week from my check to start getting party favors for everyone.
wildd480463wildd480463Posts: 1 July 21, 2010
Hi, I am not with any company but I do have some ideas for you that I did for my wedding. Email me and I can send u a pic along with the addy to the web sites. I think I only ended up spending about 1.70 on each guest and everyone wanted more. These gel closet shapes can last years instead of the old match book and note pad thing. I have plenty of other ideas. Just let me know.
QuinnPhotoTampaQuinnPhotoTampaPosts: 8 July 21, 2010
Hey there, was scanning through your post and a couple of things came up that might help you out. First determine your budget. What is "tight" for you may be comfortable to someone else. Your biggest price tag will be the location. Did you get that yet? Ignore the backyard theme because once everything is said and done i.e. rentals, tents, tables, chairs etc. It is the same as getting a good deal on a hall. Above EVERYTHING have your best most reliable friends help if you are a do it yourself type. You want to enjoy your day and not remember the fact that you spent the whole time setting up. Some venue ideas are a museum some libraries have rooms and rent out. Community buildings in parks are reasonable but you usually get an empty room to fill which can be costly. Save dollars are flowers by choosing ONE type of flower for the whole wedding. Buying many different type drives the price up. I bought a box of 500 roses for my wedding and made everything myself (was a bridal florist for 3 plus years). My invitations were pressed flowers types from Office Depot. And my dress was a vintage 1940s chiffon gown that I purchased for $20 at the local thrift store...bear in mind alterations were $150. But the thing is you CAN get what you want. It will take time and diligence but you can do it. Let me know if I can help in any way. No strings.
wendy418473wendy418473Posts: 1 July 21, 2010
Just want to comment on the post about using an I-pod instead of the DJ - check on the laws regarding use of music for an event , without the proper licencing, you could be in for a huge fine! - just one of the things that would be avoided if you hired a Wedding Planner - they save you money in the long run
invitations4uinvitations4uPosts: 19 July 21, 2010
I would suggest local fire halls, and maybe even knights of columbus halls if you have any out your way. also check out the website weddingbee.com they have AMAZING DIY and budget wedding ideas.

If you haven't ordered invitations yet, feel free to enter into our sweepstakes! http://invitationsofelegance.com/giveaway.htm
sharo481264sharo481264Posts: 1 July 21, 2010
live near covington ga area and looking for an inexpensive place to do an outdoor wedding sept 25th 2010.
MrMusicMrMusicPosts: 10 July 24, 2010
DesertLightWeddings wrote:
Hi. Great advice here. You can go to a craft store and make your centerpieces, a place like Costco (warehouse in case not in your area) for flowers and if you still need them invitations. If you do not want to do your backyard, go to a park. Here in Arizona you can get one for just a deposit. If a small wedding, your guests will be fine standing while you do the ceremony (just at one outdoors in Sedona back by a creek). A nice dinner or even a barbeque for your reception works too or just do cake and drinks. Your guests are there for your wedding and not the food . You can find your dress at a site like this http://www.recycledbride.com/ or check Craigslist or something like that. If you feel a planner is out of the question for your actual day, do a time line and then ask a family member or friend not directly involved in the ceremony to manage it for you. It will help. You can email me if you need some advice (no charge) contact@desertlightweddings.com

Congratulations!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings

A note from a DJ that has read many postings by Robbie....I think this person has a big heart....I wish I was in the same state to be able to work with this company. What a giving thing to do...come on here and offer some service for free.
yourt482677yourt482677Posts: 2 July 24, 2010
Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I completely emphathize with your sense of overwhelming anxiety as your special day approaches and the uncomfortable squeeze of finances hovering above you. I married while I was a resident in professional school and had to pay for everything but the venue myself. BUT, I had an awesome wedding! :0) My advice to you would be the following:

1. Dont lose sight of why you are here - its honestly far too easy to blow things out of proportion and lose sight of the real meaning. Dont do it. Keep yourself grounded and ENJOY your wedding - dont fret the small stuff. The day will come and go and not many people will remember if you have heart shaped butter or not (believe me! :0)).
2. Spend your money on the things that matter most to you. We are all different - for some, the dress is THE biggest priority, for others it might be the music, or the venue. Thats a personal decision. When money is tight, you really need to sit down with your significant other & prioritize what is most important to you both....and then make it happen! The other things will fall into place; it may take some extra work but it WILL happen. That is what we did & I had many special touches that were important to me and made the day special. I would just encourage you not to skimp on the wedding photos......those are one of the only tangible remembrants you have aside from your memories and you will treasure them down the road! :0)
3. Network and ask questions from those on this forum -- there is a wealth of knowledge and some wonderful experts. Pick their brains and get creative. You will be suprised at what you can make work!

As for my contributions....I can help you save with jewelry - both for yourself and your wedding party (gifts and jewels for your bridesmaids, flower girl, mother of the bride and groom, etc). I can offer you a discount for the bridal party or better yet, work with you to earn free jewelry and gifts for them by hosting a simple jewelry party - online or in your home. Whatever works best for you. Contact me for more details! :0) The jewelry has been featured in In Style Weddings, Modern Bride, Cosmo, Lucky, Real Simple, Celebrity Style, and the list goes on! Check it out, Im sure you will love it as much as I do! :0)

Congratulations again & best wishes as you start your married journey in life together,
Jennifer
http://www.yourtrendystylist.com
http://www.stelladot.com/yourtrendystylist
vam17483816vam17483816Posts: 1 July 26, 2010
Wow. My wedding is September 25th. We're still looking for a reception hall for like, ah pennies lol. The wedding itself is what's important. I sure get alot of opinions really cheap, though. Good luck and congrats!!!
mande484304mande484304Posts: 4 July 27, 2010
My wedding was also done on a tight budget. We used silk flowers, a local VFW Hall for the reception, and fortunately, my father-in-law paid for the bar, & we brought in our own liquor.

We handmade all our centerpieces: simple tablecloth, with a mirror in the center of the table, a large hurricane vase with a candle inside, some iridescent tinsel stuffed in around the candle, and a ribbon & flower matching my colors wrapped around the vase. We bought the candles at a dollar store, and the vases at Walmart.

We also got a great deal on a DJ. I would definitely recommend not skimping the the DJ, he really made our evening flow flawlessly. I've been married just 2 years now, and I still have people telling me they had the best time at my wedding, and I really think a big part of it was our DJ.

Also, you can rent a fake cake for a really good price from cakerental.com and then use Costco sheet cakes for your dessert. (that's what I did, and it saved a TON of money!)

Another thing that could save money, is with your photographer, there are a lot of really talented college students who are looking for a break into the industry, I know it may be scary to trust your big day to them, but many of them are incredibly talented. Also, we asked our photographer for a CD of all our pictures and said we would print the ones we wanted ourselves.

I hope any of this helps! Congrats!!
mande484304mande484304Posts: 4 July 27, 2010
Oh yeah! check out Vistaprint.com for save the dates & invitations. they are so reasonably priced! (and they have lots of free items too, just for future reference)
maril494305maril494305Posts: 1 August 9, 2010
What specific areas do you need advice for? Also, lots of people forgo church weddings in the name of saving money but iin actuality the wedding itself need not cost much if you or a family member belong to a church you should be able to use it at no cost. To save on bouquets, find a wholesale florist and forgo the traditional florist. Here in Savannah you can get beautiful long stem caly lilies for $3.95 each. One tied in a ribbon to match your bridesmaid dress is a simple yet totally elegant "bouquet". I've use this more than once. Also, a wholesale florist or a store like Fresh Market will sale long stemmed roses for less than $12.00 dozen. You can wrap them in wide satiin ribbon and pin one side all the way down with "hat pin" pearls and it will be beautiful. for centerpieces, start saving Michaels Arts n Craft coupons or whatever store is available in your area and buy clear glass vases for 50% off. I've used the large margarita ones, bought some colored marbles to match your wedding colors and place in the bottom, (they have them in the dollar stores) and float a flower or two on top. You can get "Spider Mum's that float well at a wholesale florist or grocery store for about $10.00 for 10. or just float candles. Get a box of floating candles; you can get about 20 in a box for less than $10.00. Shop around for linens instead of using a big linen rental company. A lesser known person who has a small business will rent much cheaper. I rent tablecloths for about $7.00 each for receptions here. If the place you are having your reception includes plain white tablecloths, simply rent "toppers" to match your wedding colors. They are cheaper than renting the whole table cloth.
To save on your wedding cake, get a small one made and have them make additional sheet cakes to serve guests. For an expensive elegant touch, buy some cardstock in your wedding color (about $5.00 for 250 sheets). Print some menu cards for your reception. Do two per sheet and they'll be the perfect size. Simply take them to Office Depot or wherever you bought the cardstock and they can cut them in half for a dollar or two. You can fold the napkins on the table on place a menu card on each one. Micheals also has cheap "favor boxes" in ivory or white for $19.99 and there are 100 in the box.
Simply buy some cheap ribbon to match your wedding color to tie in a box once you place some candy in the boxes. Place a favor box at each place on your reception tables and it does double duty as a favor and helps decorate your tables. Hope some of this is helpful.
Marilyn in Savannah, GA
info494585info494585Posts: 2 August 9, 2010
My wife and I had an outdoor wedding. We were on a tight budget we found people that had leftover supplies from their weddings lattice paneling that we borrowed that had white material on it. We had a friend of a friend make our cakes. The hall we had the reception in was a small community center. You should ask around from friends they will know someone that has leftovers from their wedding.My mother in law made my wife's dress. Just ask that is what friends are for I honestly don't think we spent over $700.00. It was a while ago, but you can keep that budget low. It is your special day have a good friend help you out. If you need any help feel free to message me.
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 August 10, 2010
MrMusic wrote:
DesertLightWeddings wrote:
Hi. Great advice here. You can go to a craft store and make your centerpieces, a place like Costco (warehouse in case not in your area) for flowers and if you still need them invitations. If you do not want to do your backyard, go to a park. Here in Arizona you can get one for just a deposit. If a small wedding, your guests will be fine standing while you do the ceremony (just at one outdoors in Sedona back by a creek). A nice dinner or even a barbeque for your reception works too or just do cake and drinks. Your guests are there for your wedding and not the food . You can find your dress at a site like this http://www.recycledbride.com/ or check Craigslist or something like that. If you feel a planner is out of the question for your actual day, do a time line and then ask a family member or friend not directly involved in the ceremony to manage it for you. It will help. You can email me if you need some advice (no charge) contact@desertlightweddings.com

Congratulations!

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings

A note from a DJ that has read many postings by Robbie....I think this person has a big heart....I wish I was in the same state to be able to work with this company. What a giving thing to do...come on here and offer some service for free.

I just saw your post...thank you! Kind thing to say. Where are you? I travel wink Actually I am really loving helping people. I do the same to the brides (or moms) who contact me even if they end up not hiring me regardless of the reason. You made my night...again thanks!
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 August 14, 2010
Wedding details is what makes the event great. Color coordination, style, theme, for both the ceremony and the reception. Flowers are also quite beautiful and can be done simply, with a minimum of cost. Of course, starting with a venue is most important. Cheaper venues would be to rent halls from location organizations. Do searches in your area for:
Eagles
Elks
Lions
VFW
Grange halls
Knights of Columbus
WYCA/WMCA

Determine your wedding style. It can be very reasonable if you know where to look. This is also where a wedding planner can help. Most are more reasonable than you think and will definately be able to help you out to see your vision. No sense in doing everything yourself and then it be a disaster. People on this site do advertise but are here to help, so don't hestiate to contact anyone. Many vendors are happy to give you free ideas and initial free consultations, resources and advice.

Here are my favorite links for wedding decor/favors/invites that are inexpensive and of good quality:

www.orientaltrading.com (do a search: wedding)
http://www.annsbridalbargains.com/index.jsp?&ssource=linkshare_other
http://jenlyfavors.com/wedding.aspx

Questions, contact: liseramos@msn.com
Guest August 15, 2010
you have to stay at 2810 vegas estate at least one or 2 nights it is amazing for our son's wedding august 7th 2010 we were just there so great they were so accomodating anything we needed they were there for us. Worth the money the wedding took place there, it is off the strip so close by and private the pool is extraordinary!!!!
Guest August 15, 2010
I love vegas and think it's a great alternative for those who want budget weddings and just bring a very small party. I've never been to 2810 vegas estate, but will check it out. This sounds like a good resource for clients. Thanks for the tip!

Lise'
liseramos@msn.com
www.mybelovedwedandart.com
ange1507685ange1507685Posts: 3 August 27, 2010
while planned my whole wedding and it was beautiful i found out no one knows wat you want but you and ur husband i could help with suggestions what is it exactly you are looking for
kmwalmsley wrote:
I tried that, they are all too expensive.
i understand they really are
liseramos wrote:
Wedding details is what makes the event great. Color coordination, style, theme, for both the ceremony and the reception. Flowers are also quite beautiful and can be done simply, with a minimum of cost. Of course, starting with a venue is most important. Cheaper venues would be to rent halls from location organizations. Do searches in your area for:
Eagles
Elks

Lions
VFW
Grange halls
Knights of Columbus
WYCA/WMCA

Determine your wedding style. It can be very reasonable if you know where to look. This is also where a wedding planner can help. Most are more reasonable than you think and will definately be able to help you out to see your vision. No sense in doing everything yourself and then it be a disaster. People on this site do advertise but are here to help, so don't hestiate to contact anyone. Many vendors are happy to give you free ideas and initial free consultations, resources and advice.

Here are my favorite links for wedding decor/favors/invites that are inexpensive and of good quality:

www.orientaltrading.com (do a search: wedding)
http://www.annsbridalbargains.com/index.jsp?&ssource=linkshare_other
http://jenlyfavors.com/wedding.aspx

Questions, contact: liseramos@msn.com

yes i truly agree orental trading AND PARTY CITY did it all for me im renewaling my vows and using them again
kimmiemkimmiemPosts: 11 August 28, 2010
ange1023 wrote:
kmwalmsley wrote:
I tried that, they are all too expensive.
i understand they really are

I thought I would check back to see how its going and if you need any tips, tricks or help to pull things together. I hope that you are looking at this in a positive way for planning. While it might seem that going the DIY route completely is the best way to do things - it can become extremely stressful and time consuming. Look you can have a ceremony for your family only and then have a reception inviting those who really are special to you and your fiance. That said, you can have an informal reception at home and make it a barbecue for the fall (kind of a last gasp of summer thing since you are in Michigan), make s'mores, have yummy grilled food and have wedding cake and champagne for dessert. When you say tight budget, how tight? Are we talking spanx holding it all in tight or are we talking control top hose? There is a difference! Focus on how much you want to look back on in 5 years when it comes to your wedding - do you want to say, man I wish we had done...or man it was the best day ever? Give yourself some options - if the wedding is in the morning, have brunch - if midday have lunch, if evening do the barbecue - it would be a blast. Need more ideas or tips on executing? Write me, my gift to you!
kimmiemkimmiemPosts: 11 August 28, 2010
vam17 wrote:
Wow. My wedding is September 25th. We're still looking for a reception hall for like, ah pennies lol. The wedding itself is what's important. I sure get alot of opinions really cheap, though. Good luck and congrats!!!

I'm actually coordinating a wedding on September 25 but am happy to help you research for a place if you're still looking. Let me know
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 August 28, 2010
vam17 - where are you getting married? How many guests? Budget for your reception hall? I'll try to help you too.

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings
contact@desertlightweddings.com
thepa418407thepa418407Posts: 2 August 30, 2010
I know you may think that a wedding coordinator is too expensive but believe it or not, some of us work on a consulting basis and we since this is what we do - we really can helpy you fall within your budget with all the style and class you are looking for.
I am not in your area and can't help you but look for a wedding coordinator in your area and see what they can do for you. I work weddings with all different budgets and needs.

Good Luck !

Amelia Castro
www.thepartygods.net
robin510006robin510006Posts: 1 August 31, 2010
Try Hobby lobby, they have all the rental decor and the flowers there are beautiful. You can get bridal bouqets already made. Invites, bouqets for bridesmaides too, Everything u need. One stop shop! and if you do an outdoor wedding have food in buffet style, Sams has everything you need. I see this all the time, family cooks for you and all you need is something to serve it in and keep it warm. For music just download music on to a cd and play at reception. Candles and votives at dollar general for almost nothing! and you can special order by the case. They have cute glassware for centerpiecs, just add water, food coloring and floating candels. and if you want Walmart makes wedding cakes for less and looks great! Publix too. lighting, use solar power landscaping lights for outdoors. And I have also seen beautiful gowns at khols or sears that look like wedding gowns for less than a bridal shops. And you can find the bridsmaids dress too. Look on sale racks. If you any thing else just call me at (419)707-1641 I will be glad to help you for "Nothing". Good luck! and congrats!
Guest September 9, 2010
i cannot find a minitster that doesnt cost 500 dollars for half hour ceremony. where does one find justice of peace or a less exp minister to marry us, im catholic and hes lutheran, but we arent practicing, we are just on a budget
cosmo520166cosmo520166Posts: 1 September 14, 2010
kimmiem wrote:
vam17 wrote:

I'm actually coordinating a wedding on September 25 but am happy to help you research for a place if you're still looking. Let me know

Hi VAM 17, I have an opening for Sept 25 and can provide day of services if you need a planner. I am sorry I didnt see your post sooner. The place I have is off the BW Parkway, a nice restaurant with a reception/banquet room. Of course they will have to cater but I can work a budget for you. Contact me at cosmopolitanevent_wedding@yahoo.com.
Guest September 14, 2010
MY DAUGHTER IS GETTING MARRIED IN DAYS(SEPT 18,2010. NO WERE TO HAVE IT AT THIS TIME. BIRMINGHAM AREA. CAN SOMEBODY HELP????
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 September 14, 2010
try the listing on the following link:

http://www.local.com/results.aspx?keyword=party+halls&CID=57&location=birmingham+al&gclid=COiKxv6IiKQCFZJ95QodgVmSLA

ood luck!

Lise'
bran1542658bran1542658Posts: 1 October 15, 2010
im getting married dec 31 2010 and just started plaining i know m crazy and on a tight budget any ideas
Guest October 17, 2010
bran198718
it would be helpful to know the following:
*city/town
*# of guests
*since it is New Year's eve, most venues are already booked and are quite pricy for this time of the year when everyone wants to celbrate bringing in the New Year. So, do avoid hotels and fancy restaurants. Do look for smaller catering halls in your area. You may do well having it in a more ethnic setting, like an Indian restaruant, an elegant Asian restuarant where they don't celebrate the New Year the same time as we do. They usually would close down their restaurant for four hours if you hav about 50 or more persons. Have a buffet, a variety of wines and bring your own cake. They may allow you also to bring your own champagene just for a toast. You can hand out party noisemakers (do a search at orientaltrading.com for wedding noisemakers) as favors and have simple floral arrangements from a local grower.

Good luck!
Lise'
Debbie001Debbie001Posts: 9 October 18, 2010
Too good and informative suggestions.
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 October 18, 2010
Don't know where you live, but do a search in your local yellow pages or on line in your area for "officients for weddings." These folks are licensed and don't necessarily have a religous background with no church to support. They are independent and usually much cheaper. You can probably get someone to do a very simple ceremony for about $200 or so. Obviously, you need someone from your town, otherwise you will have to pay for travel expenses.
Good luck!
Lise'
BlueEyeDreams73BlueEyeDreams73Posts: 15 November 4, 2010
kmwalmsley
how did your Sept. 18th Wedding go this year
We are planning our 17th wedding for 2011 in
Bedford, Pa. if you would happen to have any
Idea that you did for your wedding if you don't
mind I would like to hear from you.
Thanks
Bride to be.
7mlang5
Melanie
Bedford, Pa.
calib732819calib732819Posts: 1 August 24, 2011
I need your help Katherine
trott732951trott732951Posts: 1 August 24, 2011
my wedding is coming up fast its in springfield ohio and i am in need of a dj cheap not looking for all the glitter and lights just a nice clean dj around $100. plz if anyone know of a person let me know

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: