June 2013 Luau Budget Wedding in Rhode Island Messages in this topic - RSS

June 2013 Luau Budget Wedding in Rhode Island Messages in this topic - RSS

anw198031anw198031Posts: 2 Rhode Island March 16, 2013
I am looking for some venue ideas to have my luau wedding on a very tight budget of around $2000 in Rhode Island. My guest list is about 50-75 people mostly adults but maybe as many as 10 children.
Guest March 16, 2013
You can get very reasonable custom designed water bottle wraps from www.sarahs-seasonings.com
robertblackrobertblackPosts: 1 March 16, 2013
I would add an Elvis Aloha song or two....but with white jumpsuit
http://bookastar.com/Robert_Black
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 March 16, 2013
Hi Anw198031,

I would recommend having your wedding at one of our State Parks.

Colt State Park, for example, is beautiful and has a very nice outdoor chapel that can be rented for only $15.00 according to the park website ( http://www.riparks.com/Locations/LocationColt.html ). As I recall they also have a nice covered area which could be rented for your reception and/or a backup in case of rain (economically). I believe that it would be your best choice.

Given your tight budget, you will need to carefully prioritize your expenses, so write down everything you can think of and assign a budget to it. I always encourage people to get a really good photographer (which is not inexpensive), but you'll have the photos and wedding rings for the rest of your life. Other items last only a few hours.

I do have friends who are photographers, DJs, etc. in Rhode Island, so if you need some contacts there let me know.

If you would like to offer one of my Education By Entertainment programs at one of your wedding related events, I'd be pleased to offer it for you at no charge as a wedding gift as long as it fits my schedule.

Please follow up with me if I can be of any help whatsoever. There will be no charge at all for consultation. I live in Rhode Island and go to Colt Park several times per week.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Education by Entertainment
frankpuleo7frankpuleo7Posts: 7 March 16, 2013
Dr. Shapiro is correct. You need to prioritize. When you have a limited budget, you need to remember that creating a theme will eat up lots of your budget. If design & decor are the most important factors to you, then by all means go with your theme. If food is important, remember to save enough money to feed your guests - (unless you believe Hawaiian shirts and a floral lei are more important than the food). That decision is completely yours to make... but start wtih your most important expense... venue (maybe) since you can't have a wedding without a place, food (if you expect people to stay more than 3 hours you'll need to feed them), service staff (you probably do not want to be moving tables and emptying garbage in your wedding dress)... then see how much you have left for decor, music, pictures, ...and that wedding dress we mentioned earlier.
anw198031anw198031Posts: 2 March 16, 2013
Thanks so much for getting back so quickly. Colt State Park sounds perfect for what we are looking for. We want to have a luau theme so we definately wanted an outside venue. My fiance' and I are going to go check it out today. Also you mentioned you could recommend a good dj within my budget. I am definately interested in this as well as a reputable rental company for chairs and tables. Thank you. DrRonShapiro wrote:
Hi Anw198031,

I would recommend having your wedding at one of our State Parks.

Colt State Park, for example, is beautiful and has a very nice outdoor chapel that can be rented for only $15.00 according to the park website ( http://www.riparks.com/Locations/LocationColt.html ). As I recall they also have a nice covered area which could be rented for your reception and/or a backup in case of rain (economically). I believe that it would be your best choice.

Given your tight budget, you will need to carefully prioritize your expenses, so write down everything you can think of and assign a budget to it. I always encourage people to get a really good photographer (which is not inexpensive), but you'll have the photos and wedding rings for the rest of your life. Other items last only a few hours.

I do have friends who are photographers, DJs, etc. in Rhode Island, so if you need some contacts there let me know.

If you would like to offer one of my Education By Entertainment programs at one of your wedding related events, I'd be pleased to offer it for you at no charge as a wedding gift as long as it fits my schedule.

Please follow up with me if I can be of any help whatsoever. There will be no charge at all for consultation. I live in Rhode Island and go to Colt Park several times per week.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph.D.
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 March 16, 2013
Hi ANW198031,

Thank you for your reply.

I believe that you can rent tables from the park and some come with renting the shelter. Today there were about 20 picnic tables in the shelter near the chapel. Not ideal, but probably a good option for you if they come with renting the shelter.

On DJ I know that Rick Lataille is very professional, etc. I do not know what he charges. I attend the business networking events which he sponsors. There will be one of those on Monday night in Cumberland, and you may want to go to meet Rick and Debbie (his marketing person) and talk with them. It's only $8/person to attend a business networking event if you register in advance ( http://www.outoftheboxnetworking.com ) and the events normally include good snacks, etc. so you won't need to make dinner.

Let me know how I can be of further help.

Ron

jadie808jadie808Posts: 4 April 2, 2013
An easy way to save would be on the centerpieces! Just use sand and shells! Luaus are all about the food. If you wanted the kalua pig without buying a whole pig, you can always use pork roast, heavily salt it, wrap it in foil and put it in the oven. After and couple hours shred it and it's ready to go! Hope this helps!

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: