5. Set the Date

6. Set the Tone of Your Event

7. Set the Budget

8. Choose Your Attendants

9. Start Looking for Venues for Ceremony and Reception

10. Get Support from your Own
+2 link
777po533391777po533391Posts: 15 May 27, 2012
If you spent more on the DJ, and the cake than you did your photographer than you need to go back to square 1!!
The photography is the most important role at your wedding, and the pics will be around forever, long after the cake has been eaten, and the DJ has stop spinning records. Don't get an inexperienced photographer just to save a few bucks, because you will regret it every time you look at those awful pics!
-2 link
IdealPhotographyIdealPhotographyPosts: 3 May 27, 2012
Budget, budget. In the end when the evening is over, when your children are grown, when life takes dips and mountain top experiences, the photos are the memories that bring your wedding back to life. As a photographer, we recommend for our clients that you set your photography budget first. We use a questionairre that assists brides in their type of photography desired and how they would like their photos preserved. A professional photographer is not as expensive as you might think.
+2 link
Guest May 28, 2012
just started to look for venues and feeling a little over whelmed with everything. my fiance and i only have the colors picked out and thats all the help he will give me. it feels like this is goin to b a night mare till the wedding
+1 link
Guest May 28, 2012
HI GUEST. I AM AN EVENT PLANNER AND VENUE. IF YOU LIVE IN MEMPHIS TN call 901-866-9661 AND I WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT. LONGMEADOW @ EADS TN
Guest May 29, 2012
Of course, you could under spend on your DJ and have an album full of pictures that remind you of your wedding where evrybody had a lousy time. A good DJ is about far more than just spinning CDs. A good DJ helps you plan your event, coordinates with the venue, photographer, and videographer. Makes sure everything you've chosen happens the way you want it to. Has all the music you've requested. Thoroughly understands proper cultureral wedding methodology. Is a world class emcee(uncommon to say the least). Can entertain all of your guests from the youngest to the oldest. And understands that there's far more to entertainment than just spinning a great dance party. But go ahead, spend more on your wedding cake than your DJ, tell us all how that works out for you. But, at least you'll have fabulous photos from that $6000 photographer to remember it all. ~ http://mysticdjs.com
+2 link
orangeblossomorangeblossomPosts: 45 June 21, 2013
Hello Greenhill,
I read your Post for 10 step for wedding planning.It is really good.Budget is the most important for wedding planning.
sophiedsophiedPosts: 6 July 10, 2013
Yes, I agree with all. To plan any wedding you first arranged your budget to make all these 10 steps for wedding.
GreatCelebrationsGreatCelebrationsPosts: 1 July 10, 2013
I am just familiarizing myself with the idea of a "forum". I am not sure who the audience is here. But, at the risk of sounding self-serving (I am a PA event planner), remember EXPERIENCE COUNTS. When setting a budget, first - talk to someone who knows weddings/events. The modest consultation fee for such guidance will be well worth it. You will be more confident moving forward.
+1 link
UniqueSigEventsUniqueSigEventsPosts: 95 July 11, 2013
When planning your wedding please make sure you keep this in mind, if you do not have a venue then you do not have a date. Keep the date flexible especially if you are wanting to be married during the busy season. Venues book quickly so please do not have your heart set on a date before you find your venue. Happy Planning
mstee1077125mstee1077125Posts: 3 October 27, 2013
what do you so when you found the perfect venue and paid your deposit and started making payments. then you get a call that they have lost the building, but they have two other locations for you to choose from. well one location is too small and the other is not up to par. now I have to find two locations for my wedding on august 2, 2014 because all my other vendors have received their deposits and cannot give me another date. please help my budget is $1300 looking in Cleveland Ohio area would prefer Euclid
jcpro1036901jcpro1036901Posts: 2 Stow, OH October 28, 2013
777po533391 wrote:

The photography is the most important role at your wedding, and the pics will be around forever, long after the cake has been eaten, and the DJ has stop spinning records. Don't get an inexperienced photographer just to save a few bucks, because you will regret it every time you look at those awful pics!

I couldn't disagree with you more about the "most important role at your wedding." You're right -- don't get an inexperienced photographer to capture your wedding day. IF bad pictures are taken, the reception is not a bust. The FACT of the matter is, when the guests leave a reception, the TWO things they'll remember is the food and the entertainment. The entertainment makes or breaks a reception. And a horrendous DJ could absolutely ruin what is supposed to be a celebration.

But, I don't doubt that DJ Entertainers and photographers are in the same boat when it comes to brides deciding to go cheap. Big mistake! HUGE!
edited by jcpro1036901 on 10/28/2013
+1 link
jcpro1036901jcpro1036901Posts: 2 Stow, OH October 28, 2013
mstee1077125 wrote:
what do you so when you found the perfect venue and paid your deposit and started making payments. then you get a call that they have lost the building, but they have two other locations for you to choose from. well one location is too small and the other is not up to par. now I have to find two locations for my wedding on august 2, 2014 because all my other vendors have received their deposits and cannot give me another date. please help my budget is $1300 looking in Cleveland Ohio area would prefer Euclid

MsTee...I am in the Cleveland/Akron area. What venue closed up? Are you in need of other vendors for Aug. 2? You can email me -- click my profile, it should be in there!
WeddingMinisterOfficiantWeddingMinisterOfficiantPosts: 1 Erie, PA November 21, 2013
Once you've chosen your date, time and venue - don't forget the one thing you cannot get married without......a wedding minister/officiant! I'm in the northeast Ohio area and will travel as needed. www.OhioWeddingLady.com
consu868333consu868333Posts: 1 December 15, 2013
The budget is the most important starting point. This will change throughout the process. Taking some money budgeted for the cake and putting more money on the honeymoon is a common practice in weddings and any planner should expect this and roll with the punches in style. It is important to stay in the realms of the budget no matter where he money goes. Like my momma always said, "Don't spend all your money on a house and not have enough money left over for curtains."
EclecticEntertainmentDJEEclecticEntertainmentDJEPosts: 15 December 26, 2013
You need to look at rates and make some calls, emails and TALK TO THE VENDORS!!! DO NOT hire for the lowest bidder. That works in construction, but not for your wedding.

I highly recommend you find out what kind of personality your photographer/DJ/caterer has. More than likely if you hire for the lowest rate you might get someone that clashes with your style. And in the end, you'll feel cheated that you spent as little as possible and still received horrible service.
Guest January 4, 2014
dont fret i too as two of my bridesmaids told me they are both married that men are going to show up and you are left on your own i feeling overwhelmed too have eight months to plan have the venue booked and the bridesmaids and my dress bought and paid for ,looking for a dj ,my fiancee is like whatever you want to do is fine with me im lik oy good luck push forward your wedding will be amazing
Guest Orange, TX January 8, 2014
just got engaged. our budget is going to be really small. It's my second and his to, I have only lived here in Vidor a few months. It will be a very small wedding. We have our date set, flowers, color scheme, and we were thinking of doing our own home cooking. with all this said where would be a good place to have a small wedding at?
info380905info380905Posts: 1 January 12, 2014
You could try any outdoor park in your area. Most times they don't charge anything you simply need to have permission to
use the park.
mikew559905mikew559905Posts: 1 Terre Haute, IN January 13, 2014
Of course, you could under spend on your DJ and have an album full of pictures that remind you of your wedding where evrybody had a lousy time. A good DJ is about far more than just spinning CDs. A good DJ helps you plan your event, coordinates with the venue, photographer, and videographer. Makes sure everything you've chosen happens the way you want it to. Has all the music you've requested. Thoroughly understands proper cultureral wedding methodology. Is a world class emcee(uncommon to say the least). Can entertain all of your guests from the youngest to the oldest. And understands that there's far more to entertainment than just spinning a great dance party. But go ahead, spend more on your wedding cake than your DJ, tell us all how that works out for you. But, at least you'll have fabulous photos from that $6000 photographer to remember it all. ~ http://mysticdjs.com
adrian2009adrian2009Posts: 2 January 20, 2014
I speak to brides in the planning process all the time at bridal shows and the one thing that pops up more than anything else is that the music is the most important item to make sure the event is a success If music is important than don't cheap out
OldSchoolEntertainmentOldSchoolEntertainmentPosts: 2 Newport, KY March 6, 2014
The bottom line to the budget is simple.... What can you afford? That said, "CHEAP" on any aspect of your event will yield the result purchased in almost every case. Get the BEST professional you can afford with EVERY vendor. This is not to say the more they cost, the better they are, but if you get a $300 DJ, $50 cake, $400 photographer, and a $500 venue.... Don't expect much.
morrison723morrison723Posts: 2 March 13, 2014
You have listed the steps very well.
chrisharmenchrisharmenPosts: 3 March 20, 2014
Nice thread smile
tippytoby57tippytoby57Posts: 4 May 28, 2014
Yes!! You MUST have a great photographer, a great DJ and great food! But if budget allows--and I'm willing to work with anyone's budget--you'll want a little icing on the cake! Caricatures for your guests is that icing! Everyone laughs at their friends being drawn, and those that have it done, have a little something extra to bring home that will remind them of your wedding, and will last a lifetime! If your wedding is in Florida, give me a call or email me!--Marsha Eaton Caricatures, bunceneaton@att.net, 407-277-6448
preid1173302preid1173302Posts: 1 Midland, Texas June 5, 2014
just started to look for venues and feeling a little over whelmed with everything. my fiance and i only have the colors picked out and thats all the help he will give me. it feels like this is goin to b a night mare till the wedding

Luckily my fiance is very willing and wanting to help in anyway possibly. He wants to be a part of it all. However were looking at December 6th and all the venues are either booked for Xmas parties or have them on hold for company parties who will be calling. I don't know exactly what the weather will be. And in West Texas you really never know. But I'd really like a large empty barn have a quick ceremony outside and then the reception in the barn with finger foods and dancing. Midland, Texas, anyone have any ideas. Beginning to panic just a little.
GlennMaxwellGlennMaxwellPosts: 1 Australia June 11, 2014
1. Set a budget
2. Finalize your guest list and number of guests
3. Decide for a theme of the wedding
4. Make a list of what needs to be done
5.Make a list of what you want
6.Reconcile your wants with your budget

I do agree. These are really great step for planning a perfect wedding. Before these days you just have to decide and set your wedding budget that will help you in spending on each and every wedding stuff
missb1201468missb1201468Posts: 1 westcoast florida July 18, 2014

I know that feeling of being overwhelmed . My wedding date is 01-17-2015 and I have no venue, All I have is my wedding dress, 183 days away and that is it.
jessy5324jessy5324Posts: 4 July 19, 2014
I think there is something missing here, but it's a great list to prepare a wedding ceremony!
wedding dresses, jewelry, gifts or invitations, and these are the important element for the wedding ceremony!!
Guest Christiansburg 28 days ago
I see everyone on here saying to get the best, but you don't have to spend money & get the best to have a beautiful wedding for YOU. My wedding? Free DJ, Free Cake, Free Photographer, ~$30 for our favors, Paid $200 for wedding & reception area, had ~200 people attend, Pot luck reception, $200 Dress, $160 for homemade vests for the Groom & his guys (which the were able to KEEP), made my own centerpieces from Goodwill mason jars & our own cut wood pieces, made my own cake topper for $5 & my sister-in-law made us a personalized quilt for everyone to sign. *Note through all of this I am by no means a crafty-person at all!

Do what makes YOU happy. I may have been stressed, but my wedding turned out Exactly how I wanted & I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: