Hello there! Help with planning my wedding! Messages in this topic - RSS

Hello there! Help with planning my wedding! Messages in this topic - RSS

lore_706568lore_706568Posts: 2 July 4, 2011
We want to get merried in late may 2012 In Sacramento Ca. The budget is around 8K, yeah I know (very lilttle). We dont have the money to have a big and fancy wedding but we really want to be able to share this very important time with family and friends (only the closets ones to us), we have around 60 guest and some are coming from out of state (5 or 6) and we have to accommodate them (pay the fly and hotel). But yet have a wedding that is really nice, I mean a nice venue, good food, music, photos, video, flowers, cake, etc, etc. I know it sounds and it is a lot of work to get done with such a smoll budget and im really worried about the fact that we might not be able to pull this of upset so I really need all the tips and help that I can get to have my dream wedding and stay on budget. I will appreciate everyone's help. Thank you so much.

P.S. I've never been to a wedding, so I dont have idea of what im doing! upset
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 349 July 4, 2011
Hi Karla,

Let me try to help you to get started. I really admire your enthusiasm and ambition and commitment to your family as well as to your spouse to be. Fortunately, you have almost a year until your wedding time and are committed to doing a great job. The potentially not so good news is that your budget is limited and will require a team volunteer effort and a lot of flexibility and creativity to be successful. There will be errors... and you need to have a sense of humor about them... consider the errors to be part of the adventure not something to become upset about and you'll get there.

There are a few first steps that I'd like you to complete in the next few days so that you can have an initial picture of everything that you would like to have and the amount of work that you will need to do to accomplish your goals. You are unusually committed to your guests (offering to pay all of their expenses). To "pull this off" you will need to have a real team effort and to work with your guests to help make this event a success.

The first thing I would like you to do is to write down in order of importance from most to least importance all of the objectives which you mentioned: nice venue, good food, music, photos, video, flowers, cake, have 60 guests, have 6 guests from out of state all expense paid, etc, etc.

I am going to assume that your most important desire is to have all 60 people there (including the 5 or 6 from out of town..) with you paying their expenses. (Covering the out of town travel is unusually generous, by the way). Conventionally speaking this would cost from $3,000 to $6,000 alone. You need to reduce this as much as possible... so please think about ways in which you can minimize this expense. You cannot assume the airlines will significantly reduce the air fares for you. Your local friends and relatives might be able to help out though, by taking care of all ground expenses. Think about who could pick them up at the airport, who could they stay with, etc. Also, who on your local team could take over and be in charge of all of the out of town guests scheduling, etc. I will for right now assume that 6 air fares will cost about $3,000.00. (I'll next assume that local people will cover all other ground expenses... e.g., they stay with someone, someone transports them, they eat meals at a local guess home, etc.). Put this plan together first.

Assuming that you can do the air fares, etc. for about $3,000, but you need to get a realistic number today. That gives you $5,000 left for everything else.

You need a place for your wedding and an officiant. If you regularly attend a place of worship your religious leader might be the most economical person to officiate. Likewise, having the wedding and reception at your place of worship might be economical. Alternatively, I would recommend looking towards a public park as the venue. Find the price of the venue and the officiant. I'll assume you can hire an officiant and rent a facility at your place of worship or a park for $1,000. Again, you need to get realistic numbers this week. Thus, you have about $4,000.

I personally prioritize having great photos as being very important. I would have a professional photographer. I'll assume that you can find someone competent through the photography department at a local college or through a photography club. I'll assume you are fortunate, and find such a person for $1,000 complete... which would, I believe be a low number. That leaves about $3,000 left. You want video. Again, assume another $1,000. Again, make some calls and check this out. Now you have $2,000 left.

You will, most likely want a nice dress for your wedding and your fiance will also want some nice clothing. (I'll assume other members of the wedding party will supply their own clothing). This would leave you with the entire budget spent, overspent a bit, or with minimal dollars left.

You will need to team up with selected friends and ask them to prepare all food, music, etc. You'll need to work with your team to make your own floral (or artificial flower) decorations. If your venue does not have tables and chairs you'll need to think about how you can borrow them. You need to think about a friend who would enjoy being your project manager (and who would do it well).

Being realistic, everything will not go off as clockwork. There will be some mistakes. As long as you can have a sense of humor about the mistakes and imperfections which will occur I think you can do something very meaningful that will be fun.

So, start today by making your prioritized list (which may be different from mine). Fill in key prices and think about what friends and relatives can and will do to make this a team effort.

Moving away from the financial... you need to get to a wedding or two. Please talk with our officiant about ideas as to finding a wedding or two which you can observe over the next few weeks.

Write back as you progress (and run into hurdles) so that we can be of help to you. Feel free to contact me as well.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph. D.
Education By Entertainment
Guest July 4, 2011
It can be done; I will help you if you want, to give you some less expensive ideas. If you need any other help, let me know; email; cindiann52@yahoo.com
cindi
Guest July 4, 2011
It is definitely possible to have your wedding with that budget. Feel free to email me for more information, tips and ideas at Info@elegancereserved.com feel free to visit our website at www.elegancereserved.net
amazi706918amazi706918Posts: 1 July 4, 2011
Hi, My name is Raeanne Reid and I am a professional Social Event Planner. Dr. Shapiro is right on spot covering a lot of your concerns and priorities. It still can be overwhelming to do this on your own. I travel to California because I have family there. I could plan to attend your event and be there for your family and friends even a week before the event. I'll plan it around my personal trip to Calif for my own family. No, I'm not offering my services for free. But I can travel to be in Calif. for you, your family, and your event. And I too believe you can do this for your budget goal. I can be reached at amazingeventplanning@yahoo.com. Just wanting to give you another option as I have 20 years experience in event planning, catering, travel logistics, etc.
mbrown69mbrown69Posts: 14 July 4, 2011
lore_karla_ wrote:
We want to get merried in late may 2012 In Sacramento Ca. The budget is around 8K, yeah I know (very lilttle). We dont have the money to have a big and fancy wedding but we really want to be able to share this very important time with family and friends (only the closets ones to us), we have around 60 guest and some are coming from out of state (5 or 6) and we have to accommodate them (pay the fly and hotel). But yet have a wedding that is really nice, I mean a nice venue, good food, music, photos, video, flowers, cake, etc, etc. I know it sounds and it is a lot of work to get done with such a smoll budget and im really worried about the fact that we might not be able to pull this of upset so I really need all the tips and help that I can get to have my dream wedding and stay on budget. I will appreciate everyone's help. Thank you so much.

P.S. I've never been to a wedding, so I dont have idea of what im doing! upset
chris629937chris629937Posts: 12 July 4, 2011
Hi,
I conduct Wedding Workshops and I would be willing to pass along the worksheets I use at the workshops. These will help you prioritize and you will be able to get a plan together to coincide with your already set budget.
Guest July 5, 2011
I live in TN so I'm not sure if you are close to any dollar stores or thrift stores but if you are you can usually get great decorations at such places at very low prices but it leaves the decorating up to you or your family and friends. Also ask neighbors or family friends for help, they may have hobbies like floral design or photography. You can ask for sample work to be sure they are competent.
CharmedEventsCharmedEventsPosts: 3 July 7, 2011
Is there a reason you need to accommodate the 5 or 6 guests from out of state? Are they part of the wedding party? Usually that is more of a discretionary.

Other tips might include really cutting your list to that number of guests you really would like to be there. Your list isn't very big to begin with, but that is usually the first place I recommend revising. Then think about doing an afternoon wedding with a brunch reception. You will want to find a venue outside of a hotel, because hotels have pretty large food & beverage minimums that might exceed your entire budget. Another thought is having some friends assist with putting centerpieces and floral decor together rather than hiring a florist. A florist is definitely a nice luxury to have and she can really make your wedding shine, but with a tight budget, that is one area where you can substitute floral centerpieces with candle cylinders filled with water and a candle, or something else hand made that would match your theme.
Guest July 11, 2011
I can definitely help you plan within your budget!I planned a wedding of 250 people for 500.00!!!It still looked great and I had the best time of my life.Let me know if you would like my help or some of my ideas to make your wedding awesome!Email is egray_00@hotmail.com
Guest July 11, 2011
I'm not sure I could add anything to Dr. Shapiro's post. It's comprehensive and full of excellent advice. Your budget sounds reasonable for your guest list short of paying the travel expenses for the out-of-state guests. My fear is that could eat up easily half of your budget. Normally guests pay their own way to a wedding, but I do know there are circumstances where that may not be possible and it is important to the bride and groom the guests attend.

Definitely prioritize the different elements of a wedding celebration in terms of importance. In my case, I was perfectly happy to have a newspaper photographer who worked with my husband take our pictures and went minimalist on flowers/decor. It was more important for me to shift money in my budget to the meal, the music and a professional videographer. A family friend (member of the clergy) officiated the ceremony, otherwise I would have had that at the top of my list for professionalism as well.

I did not bother at all with professional hair and makeup, but can see why that might be important to other brides.

Best Wishes!
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
http://brevardminister.com
Guest July 12, 2011
Some other ideas:

Choose a time of day that doesn't require that you serve a full meal; i.e. have a brunch, afternoon tea, or a dessert reception. This will cut down the cost of food.

Limit your alcohol costs by serving just beer and wine, or if you're having a brunch or tea, just mimosas. You can even skip alcohol entirely and just serve punch, coffee, and tea.

Use an iPod with its own little sound system instead of a DJ, and ask a family member to handle it. Depending on the type of reception, you may even be able to forego dancing and just have background music.

Carry a single calla lily or rose instead of spending the money on a full bouquet, and limit family flowers to just your wedding party and your parents.

Print your own invitations -- you can get lovely printable stock invitations from places like OfficeMax and Staples or online from www.paperdirect.com.

Make your centerpieces do double duty -- create something that serves as a centerpiece but then becomes your favors (i.e. candles, little nosegays, etc.) Michaels and Hobby Lobby have lots of ideas you might use.

As for your out-of-town guests, see if you can negotiate a "block" of rooms at a local hotel for a discounted rate, or perhaps ask local family and friends to share their guest rooms.

I hope some of these might spark some other creative ideas for saving money so you can have a lovely wedding on a budget.

Best wishes,

Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises
http://www.joyfulpromises.com
Guest July 13, 2011
Go to the July 31, 2011 Bridal Event at the Ruidoso Convention Center! They can dress an entire bridal party for $350 which includes bride if you're not particular about color. Lots of cheapo things for reception. It's from 10 a.m. -- 7 p.m. Admission $2.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: