ideas for cheapest wedding Messages in this topic - RSS

ideas for cheapest wedding Messages in this topic - RSS

jlake432582
jlake432582
I need help I;m trying to be a frugal as possible planning a wedding for august 2011, in toronto,ontario canada! I NEED HELP!
jlhar419595
jlhar419595
I am getting married on Aug 6th 2011 and I am looking for inexpensive locations for my reception and dance in Halifax Nova Scotia
djpau312956
djpau312956
ramblingrose137 wrote:
getting married in 2011 and need ideas on cheap hall rentals in skowhegan maine any ideas
How about a backyard wedding with a b.y.o.b reception ?

Guest May 12, 2010
For any wedding, the first thing to discuss is what you like and dislike about weddings in general. Keep a list of each like and dislike and then build a new list of what you think would suit the two of you -not anyone else- . Once you have decided what you really want, you need to then establish how many people you want there, and then choose the location.

Guest May 12, 2010
jlhart1973, Golf Clubs are a great and inexpensive way to host a wedding. they are picturesque and the owners are usually very accommodating. Try the outskirts of the city, like the Montebelo Golf Club...
mcnai433016
mcnai433016
Use silk flower made at a florist (at least obtain a quote...usally quite a bit less costly)
Start visiting places like: Salvation Army and such as in the USA and purchase punch bowls and serving glassware at pennies on the dollar of cost or rental. Use for decorations and such. Turn one punch bowl upside down on another with a doilie between to hold punch or party favors hang the cups on the side for decorations. OR use the glass cups to sit at each setting to hold wedding party favors and / or the rice.....HOWEVER>>>> consider using bird seed as rice swells up in t birds stomach and either makes them ill or kills them and bird seed is good luck as well when thrown for the couple upon departing.
Use white sheets as table clothes. Tieing at the corners with same color as wedding ribbon to fit to the table size. These may also be found at places like the salvation army and such.
God Bless and Good luck.shummel89 wrote:
Hello, My fiance and I are getting married this August and I still have alot of planning to do! I'm reading through all of your comments but I'm noticing everyone is posting in the states! I'm looking for places and flowers ect.. in CANADA can anyone help me out?!
AnniesOrchids
AnniesOrchids
mcnaircs wrote:
Use silk flower made at a florist (at least obtain a quote...usally quite a bit less costly)
Start visiting places like: Salvation Army and such as in the USA and purchase punch bowls and serving glassware at pennies on the dollar of cost or rental. Use for decorations and such. Turn one punch bowl upside down on another with a doilie between to hold punch or party favors hang the cups on the side for decorations. OR use the glass cups to sit at each setting to hold wedding party favors and / or the rice.....HOWEVER>>>> consider using bird seed as rice swells up in t birds stomach and either makes them ill or kills them and bird seed is good luck as well when thrown for the couple upon departing.
Use white sheets as table clothes. Tieing at the corners with same color as wedding ribbon to fit to the table size. These may also be found at places like the salvation army and such.
God Bless and Good luck.shummel89 wrote:
Hello, My fiance and I are getting married this August and I still have alot of planning to do! I'm reading through all of your comments but I'm noticing everyone is posting in the states! I'm looking for places and flowers ect.. in CANADA can anyone help me out?!

Actually, the priciest part of fresh flower arrangements and bouquets is the labor. Good silks will cost more than the fresh flowers. The cost savings is if you are using silk and DIY.

Guest May 15, 2010
i cant see paying the price for photographer so im renting a camera, like from rent a center or sumthing like that, i already have a try pod, plus i can take as many pics as i want and i can make everyone a cd its cheapier i think, make sure u get a camera that has a timer and no worry about someone pressing the button.....
im also renting a stereo and making my cds and leaving one of the grooms men in charge of it...talk about cheap that is my idea, my date is sept 25 2010 and im saving over 2000.00 on it alone and the food, were making it, cheapier, buffet style of course and were using the same hall for both cermony and reception!!!! good luck ladies check out orentialtradings.com too they have great prices!!!!!

Guest May 16, 2010
im gettin married in the summer of 2011 in mobile ala and i really need some ideas with planning a nicef yet inexpensive wedding! HELP
south436092
south436092
hi im getting married in august i know how may people are coming to the wedding and i have everything planned except for a place to have the wedding and reception i live in nc so if you are around here and have any ideas on something cheap please let me know

Guest May 17, 2010
Hi am planning a nov wedding for my daughter i need to find a cheap place for the reception in raleigh n.c.help
raymar
raymar
Great question! Some tips for a low budget wedding, you asked so here they are.
1. Keep your guest list down to bare minimum. If you haven't spoken to these people in more than a year they should not be on the guest list. Sometimes the most intimate weddings turn out to be the best. I recently had a destination wedding in Peoria, AZ, where everyone flew in from Milwaukee, WI. The guest list was a grand total of twenty people. They had a blast. You may check out the review I received on that wedding from www.weddingwire.com
2. There is nothing in the etiquette books that says you must feed the guests. You can simply have a cake and punch reception.
3. Consider having the event on a Sunday-Thursday. You can save 20% or more by going mid week. Also ask if vendors give military discounts, police & firefighter or educators discounts.
4. Only spend money on the things you need, not necessarily the things you want. In other words what are the most important to you.
5. Don't waste money on knick-knacks or as I call it foo-foo.
6. If you must have food at the wedding that you are very budget minded, you can actually go to a local fast food restaurant and cater it in. Think about it. How much dressier can you dress up a piece of chicken without being charged $125.00 per plate.
7. Do not use an I-pod for your wedding. Entertainment is not the corner you should cut. You want people to have a great time. So do it right, hire a professional.

If you have any questions or need help searching for entertainment in your area eventective.com is a good start, or you may go to the National Association of Mobile Entertainers web site at www.nameentertainers.com.

I hope this helps!

Musically yours,
Ray Martinez
American Disc Jockey Hall of Fame Inductee
Ray Mar Productions
Goodyear, AZ
www.djraymar.com
(877) 772-9627

Guest May 17, 2010
hi, im helping my sister plan her wedding aug 2010 in jacksonville, nc. I need suggestions for photographers to check out and possible venues that allow us to bring our own catering. We were hoping to do it on base, but may not. We also are looking for affordable and clean lodging.

Guest May 17, 2010
I just posted and forgot to post my email address, you can contact me at naturalhomesolutions@yahoo.com or call me at 206 619 0091
ga210
ga210
any one knows of any cheap hall in the city of whittier in california ..

Guest May 18, 2010
I'm looking for a cheap banquet hall in Shreveport, Louisiana to do an 80th birthday banquet celebration. This event will be held on May 14th, 2011. My email addresses are: dynamiclady59@live.com or rockmc57@live.com.

Guest May 18, 2010
I just posted a message and I forgot to state that I'll be getting my own catering service. Emails: dynamiclady59@live.com or rockmc57@live.com .
Panache
Panache
First thing you need to do is to set an over-all budget and make a list of all that you expect to be included in your established budget. "Undetermined" is not a budget a service provider can work with. Put everything in perspective. Brides waste a lot of money purchasing miscellaneous items (silk flowers, plastic/paper plates, napkins with names on them, favors, candles (many venues do not allow them ... plus, if wax drips on table cloths, you can expect to be charged for replacement), confetti, bottles of bubbles, birdseeds, etc. Once you decide on the maximum dollars you will spend, select a venue. The word "cheap" appears a lot. Be aware that you get what you pay for in most instances and be aware that "cheap" normally "looks cheap." A nice two-hour cake and punch reception following the ceremony is more economical (cheaper...but not cheap looking) and would give you better memories ... and a professional photographer would enhance those memories. Stretching that same budget to include a 5-hour event with food, beer and wine service means there will have to be thrift-store or catch-what-you-can-mismatched decorations, etc.; and free (pot-Luck)food included. With improper handling you could wind up with sick guests. Keep in mind that bacteria grows rapidly. Food brought to an event is often out of refrigeration or below 160 degrees more than 4 hours and that is where the hazard lies. My suggestion: Establish a realistic budget, operate from it by starting with professional assistance and "free estimates" ... include niceties but eliminate frills. And, please find another word as a replacement for "cheap!" Professionals are ready and willing to assist clients who are "economical" and even "frugal" ... but "cheap," that's a whole different ball of wax! There is nothing wrong with a Pot Luck Reception but if you have one, you need to have someone knowledgeable of food over-seeing it ... and if that person is knowledgeable of "presentation" it is all the better. Simplicity in decor is normally less costly and in good taste.

Guest May 18, 2010
Wow, great ideas! Panache...thank you for your input, some of your points I hadn't thought about like food spoilage. Great advice!
s.din429170
s.din429170
Hmmm... My fiance and I are getting married this July... and we don't even have a venue... we're thinking to have about 30-50 guests but we want it to be a blast! We want excellent food choices, good music/DJ, genuine floral decorations, and a spacious dance floor. Does it sound like an expensive wedding? If so, about much $$$ would we have to spend???
Benn9811
Benn9811
The ipod thing is a REALLY bad idea!!!! My cousin did that at her wedding, and it was tacky and the music selection was awful! I advise to find a friend of a friend to dj if you really need to save money.... but trust me the ipod at the reception was horrible!! There were long stops because the playlists on the ipod had been played, and it was just bad....
baby_vie wrote:
mines going to be a potluck in my parents back yard we're just going to go home after the wedding because we live 30 minutes away. i'm not doing flowers except the brides bouquet but if i did i think i would just grow my own. i'm just going to come up with a playlist and play it from my i pod through my dads speakers. i'm also only sending formal invitations to immediate family the rest get to know on facebook or through word of mouth. we're also going to make a cake so everyone will get some just to be sure. there are alot of places where you can cut your budget.
Benn9811
Benn9811
the b.y.o.b is just tacky! Sorry to say, but the guest probably give you $50-$100 in a wedding gift, plus a bridal shower gift AND they have to pay for their own booze? No... that's not a good idea.... If your on a really tight bidget... Find a friend who was or knows a bartender, see if they want to make $50-$100 that night.... For the booze see if anyone in your family or anyone of your friends knows someone who is in the military they can buy the booze at the Post Exchange or Base Exchange on a Military base for half the price in the store AND they don't have to pay taxes... so you save about $200 alone in taxes.... Also a keg is a good idea for beer, bc a keg can produce up to about 150 full cups of beer. Just be sure to hide the keg behind the bar...
djpaul15 wrote:
ramblingrose137 wrote:
getting married in 2011 and need ideas on cheap hall rentals in skowhegan maine any ideas
Benn9811
Benn9811
if you are having a outdoor wedding and using tents have the reception at night and take the white christmas lights and wrap them around the tent to give off that romantic feel
Benn9811
Benn9811
depending on what type of venue you choose.... your wedding could be anywhere between $5000-$10000
s.dina21 wrote:
Hmmm... My fiance and I are getting married this July... and we don't even have a venue... we're thinking to have about 30-50 guests but we want it to be a blast! We want excellent food choices, good music/DJ, genuine floral decorations, and a spacious dance floor. Does it sound like an expensive wedding? If so, about much $$$ would we have to spend???
bdbea441300
bdbea441300
Look on Craiglist....you can find photographers just out of school or internship at extremely low rates. S_Kreder wrote:
I am looking for a good photographer for our wedding. But our budget doesent allow for the usual photographer prices. Does anyone have any ides on how we can get good photos of our wedding and wedding party while saving money?
s.din429170
s.din429170
Alright, but there are some venues that do offer packages where they include catering, right? And, which type of venue would be less costly, u think, a ceremony & reception at a hotel, or a ceremony & reception at a mansion? Grrrrrrrrrrr..... lolBenn9811 wrote:
depending on what type of venue you choose.... your wedding could be anywhere between $5000-$10000
s.dina21 wrote:
mello441192
mello441192
I am moving to Owatonna Minnesota next month and will be getting married in September. I currently live in AZ and am having a hard time finding anything on line. I need it all venue, caterer, photographer, rentals. any ideas? I am on a limited budget.
msnyd441729
msnyd441729
We are trying to get married next spring and need a good cheap place to get married in the west chester pa area. Anyd ideas?? We have a good DJ, photographer, just pretty much need the place.
myfre442597
myfre442597
I was able to book the officiant from the High Alpine Chapel in Issaquah for a good price, she came to our location, although the chaple is reasonable but more than we ended up paying for the location for the wedding and reception. She refered us to a photographer who was very reasonable. She recommended a couple of places where we did not have to pay big bucks for our wedding but was still really nice and affordable. Issaquah parks, we used the Lodge at Beaver Lake
ar465443019
ar465443019
I'm getting married July 2011 and I need a venue and reception location....any ideas or places in the Southfield, MI area???
djpau312956
djpau312956
djpaul15 wrote:
ramblingrose137 wrote:
How about Google ? Try Googling your request on line, you'll get a few ideas or venues
djpau312956
djpau312956
Benn9811 wrote:
the b.y.o.b is just tacky! Sorry to say, but the guest probably give you $50-$100 in a wedding gift, plus a bridal shower gift AND they have to pay for their own booze? No... that's not a good idea.... If your on a really tight bidget... Find a friend who was or knows a bartender, see if they want to make $50-$100 that night.... For the booze see if anyone in your family or anyone of your friends knows someone who is in the military they can buy the booze at the Post Exchange or Base Exchange on a Military base for half the price in the store AND they don't have to pay taxes... so you save about $200 alone in taxes.... Also a keg is a good idea for beer, bc a keg can produce up to about 150 full cups of beer. Just be sure to hide the keg behind the bar...
djpaul15 wrote:
ramblingrose137 wrote:
Alot of venues wont allow outside liquor, which means a keg or any liquor isn't allowed.. Sometimes the venue will SELL you a keg for almost double the price, Remember that selling liquor at the venue is how they make money... If I was to cut cost, I would provide champagne ,soda, and water to my quests and that's all... Let them buy their liquor.
amber444400
amber444400
we are getting married in my grandmas backyard, it makes it so much cheaper and fun cause you can do what you want on private property
amber444400
amber444400
bdbearden wrote:
Look on Craiglist....you can find photographers just out of school or internship at extremely low rates. S_Kreder wrote:
I am looking for a good photographer for our wedding. But our budget doesent allow for the usual photographer prices. Does anyone have any ides on how we can get good photos of our wedding and wedding party while saving money?

you can also try your local colleges, photography students would do it for the extra cash
phill440798
phill440798
msnyder82 wrote:
We are trying to get married next spring and need a good cheap place to get married in the west chester pa area. Anyd ideas?? We have a good DJ, photographer, just pretty much need the place.

try the Goshen Fire Hall- great place- used to live in West Chester- miss it!-great friends at firehall!
chefg423546
chefg423546
Seems like everyone with a specialty thinks you should hire a proffesional of that specialty. MAYBE!
First, if you want to do it on the cheap, do it on an OFF day. 14Feb is Valentines Day. See what can be picked up cheaply for the 15th! How about the 5th of July? The Tuesday after Labor Day? Ya hearing me?
Booze! DO NOT have a BYOB event, or any event where someone doesn't have control of the alcohol. Unless you WANT your wedding to devolve into a Hilllbilly Slugfest, Hire a bartender!
The closer you are to Mother's Day and Valentine's Day, the more you will pay for flowers. (except for AFTER those days)
Want something cheap? Get married on New Year's DAY! Do it around Noon. Have a light lunch featuring 2 kinds of soup with salad and bread. Serve Wedding Cake as dessert with coffee and send them all home for a nice nap.
heath446636
heath446636
we just set a date last night for 02-14-2011.....so much to do where do i ever start???
AffordableWeddingPlanner
AffordableWeddingPlanner
we just set a date last night for 02-14-2011.....so much to do where do i ever start???

Well first off, Congrats..... And take a breath! Then start with a overall budget...Then a venue......

A Wedding Planner might be something to look into!

Guest June 1, 2010
well..we already know where we are getting married at we need a reception place.. and a guest list and a ton of other stuff..

Guest June 1, 2010
Eagles Nest Retreat has vacancies for Last Minute wedding in July. We offer one of the most scenic Oceanfront venue on the Gulf Islands. Your ceremony ,reception , flowers, cake, wedding commissionaire , Marquee tent, tables, chairs...and the a place to call HOME.
www.perfectretreat.com
greatestofdays
greatestofdays
I would ask an event planner how much he or she would charge for an hour or so of answering your questions. They would know of venues that you could afford and perhaps for a minimal fee recommend vendors. There usually are a lot of good deals, and so many types of catering options available that the average person doesn't know about. An hour or two with a wedding coordinator will save you many hours of work.
hocke447334
hocke447334
Yeah.. we are having the same problem. It's so hard to find places around here to get married at within our price range. We are due to get married in April of next year.. So, I hope we find a place soon, so we can mark that off of our to-do list. I'll definitely look around online and see if I can find any places for ya.
Janet52
Janet52
Adenn78 wrote:
how do you even start to find a place?

The biggest thing in finding a place is how easy it is to work with the managers.

Also make sure you have a good idea on what is included and what are extras. The extras can cost a fortune. For example, lighting, table linens, decorations, use of the computer and projector and screen, parking attendants, security, etc.

Next of course is the "look" and "feel" of the venue. Some are cold, others warm, others historic, others are more like bars.

Different days cost differently. Saturdays are the most expensive, mid week the least. See if you can modify the date by a day or two and save a bundle!

Remember that the people who run the place make or brake the event!
toomu448005
toomu448005
maybe contact a local community college that has a photography class? and do the disposabale cameras on the tables...those are always fun!

Guest June 3, 2010
Hey ladies, I had read a few posts so here is my two cents. If you live in a apartment complex many times you can rent out the club house for cheap and have the ceremony there, if not find a apartment complex that has a nice club house and most times they will let you rent it out for a day. I know a few of my complexes let us rent them out for like $50 bucks a day. Also silk flowers for your flowers, and for the photographer just use disposable cameras. You would be suprised how many great pics you can have because of what your friends and family take. If not, find a friend who can stick around and take specific pics so that you have those pics as a back up if your friends didn't take any good ones with the disposibles.
sean1210
sean1210
ramblingrose137 wrote:

Think about a day time weding. I offer 1/2 price for a day time and look for places that can do both wedding and reception

Guest June 3, 2010
Look at a Friday night or a Sunday wedding. Those that would not miss your very special day will be there and would love you for giving them a reason for a 3 day weekend! Pricing drops dramatically on Fridays and Sundays.
dsmit448762
dsmit448762
Please advise where in seminole county I can find a reception hall..one that's affordable..

thanks

Guest June 4, 2010
exactly how do you even start to find a place?

Guest June 6, 2010
HI ALL THANK YOU FOR SOME GOOD INFO I'M GETTING MARRIED IN JULY 2011 AND NEED TO FIND A CHEAP PLACE TO GET MARRIED IN BROOKLYN OR QUEENS , NEW YORK . NEED HELP PLEASEEEEEEEE
1234 ..12

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: