Tips for Attending Bridal Shows Messages in this topic - RSS

Tips for Attending Bridal Shows Messages in this topic - RSS

BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 January 24, 2011
My area had a large bridal show yesterday afternoon and I noticed a few things that can help brides navigate these events.

Most, if not all, vendors will have some sort of drawing or raffle. Bring pre-printed labels or a stamp that includes your name, address, phone number, and email address. You will save a lot of time filling out entry forms and your entry will be guaranteed to be legible. I had to discard my second place winner for a free marriage preparation class because her email and phone number were completely illegible.

Bring a sturdy bag to carry the promotional literature you will be given. Some shows or vendors may provide bags, but usually they are of inferior quality and may rip before the end of the show. Bring a friend or family member to help you carry literature and samples. Some shows may have a show guide where you have to get the vendor listing checked off at each booth in order to qualify for door prizes. Having someone to help with that can save time.

If you are not interested in the fashion show, that is absolutely the best time to visit vendor displays. Most brides will be looking at wedding dresses while you won't have to fight the crowds to see the displays and talk to the vendors. Traffic also subsides towards the end of the show. Some vendors will be happy to provide you with additional samples of assorted items so they don't have to transport them back from the show.

Do not have a meal before going to a bridal show. Not only will you be offered cake samples, but caterers and event venues will be plying you with appetizers. Trust me, you may not even need to make dinner that evening.

Even if you are having a small inexpensive wedding, treat yourself to a bridal show or two if you have access and time. They are a lot of fun and can indeed be a source of cost-saving ideas.

Best Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
http://www.brevardminister.com
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 344 January 24, 2011
Hi Reverend Fuller,
You are always so generous in providing excellent suggestions on these forums.
I liked your suggestion of bringing address labels or a stamp. I would go a step further. Why not make business cards with all the relevant data on them.
An online printer, VistaPrint, will print 250 business cards Free. All one has to do is pay about $6.00 for shipping. Other printers may do so as well. (Of course VistaPrint will try to sell upgrades and other products while one is on their site. One can also sign up for their emailing list... which will provide substantial discounts on future printing.)
(I am not connected with VistaPrint... though I do order products from them.)
Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro,Ph.D.
Education By Entertainment
JoyfulPromisesOfficiantsJoyfulPromisesOfficiantsPosts: 82 January 24, 2011
Rev. Ann Fuller is spot on with her suggestions. So is Dr. Shapiro; however, I would like to say that you should have both the labels/stamp and your own personal business cards. There is a place for both. If you're filling out raffle slips, the labels or stamp is perfect, but the business card may not be appropriate. However, if you want to leave your contact info with a vendor who is not holding a raffle, the business card is ideal.

And some additional suggestions:

It may seem obvious, but wear comfortable shoes. By the time you navigate the aisles of the bridal show, you will have walked miles. Also, plan to dress in layers. Expo venues can be hot, cold, drafty, etc. If you dress in layers, you can adjust your attire accordingly so that you're comfortable.

Be sure to bring your appointment calendar. Vendors often have special offers for those who book a consultation while there at the show. If you've identified one that you'd like to meet with, you'll know when you're available.

Bring something to write with, and take notes as you move through the show. By the time you've visited the booths of 3 photographers, 4 DJ's, 3 caterers, etc., you'll be on 'information overload' and find it difficult after the event to remember which ones you may want to follow up with. Just jot your notations on the literature they hand out, to help keep things straight in your mind.

Also, you might want to check with the bridal show organizers about what vendors have committed to being there. Our local bridal shows tend to draw mostly photographers and DJ services, with perhaps only one representative from the various other wedding services. If you're going to take the time to go, find parking, and pay the admission fee, you're going to want to be able to visit the kind of vendors you're looking for.

But, do attend one or two just for fun, if you can. It's a great 'girls' day out' experience, and since the vendors are all in one place, an efficient way to "shop" for just the right service providers for your wedding.

Marti Barton, Officiant
Joyful Promises
http://www.joyfulpromises.com
vows@joyfulpromises.com
UniqueInviteUniqueInvitePosts: 12 January 24, 2011
Thank you so much for this wonderful information. I am going to post this on my blog (I hope you don't mind) and will mention your contact information as well.

Have a wonderful day!

Deborah Carasso
Unique Invitations
www.invitationsbydeborah.com
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 344 January 24, 2011
Hi Joyful Promises Officiants,
I completely agree with you that it is useful to be prepared with business cards, stamps and address labels. (By the way if you don't have a stamp, VistaPrint will make one for you free... just pay a little extra shipping if you are ordering the business cards in the same order). They also sell nice address labels, but If your experience is like mine you get tons of those in the mail free from charitable organizations every year.
JoyfulPromisesOfficiants wrote:

wear comfortable shoes.
dress in layers
bring your appointment calendar
Bring something to write with, and take notes

Fabulous suggestions! I couldn't tell who looked more exhausted at the end of yesterday's show -- the vendors or some of the brides.

Regards,
Ann
JoyfulPromisesOfficiants wrote:
you might want to check with the bridal show organizers about what vendors have committed to being there. Our local bridal shows tend to draw mostly photographers and DJ services, with perhaps only one representative from the various other wedding services. If you're going to take the time to go, find parking, and pay the admission fee, you're going to want to be able to visit the kind of vendors you're looking for.

Another great suggestion. One of the things I really appreciated about yesterday's show was that the organizer a) makes an effort to get all types of vendors represented and b) limits each category to a certain number of participants on a first-come, first-served basis. That way it doesn't end up being a photography trade show or florists convention rather than a bridal show and is of a reasonable size. Plenty to see and compare without feeling like it was an effort to squeeze everything in the few hours allotted.

Best Regards,
Ann
MitchelleMitchellePosts: 1 September 1, 2012
Thanks a lot for providing such great ideas. I am also planning to attend a bridal show in Toronto. I hope your ideas can assist me well. Just like joyfullpromises said bridal show is an efficient way to "shop" for just the right service providers for your wedding. I hope I will get the best one I seek for.
alexpaalexpaPosts: 1 September 4, 2012
Hi, recently i heard about www.lastbridestanding.com and i have been planning to attend the same show myself.So thanks for highlighting these wonderful tips here. I would definitely consider them.
lakerjudylakerjudyPosts: 6 September 18, 2012
BrevardMinister wrote:
My area had a large bridal show yesterday afternoon and I noticed a few things that can help brides navigate these events.

Most, if not all, vendors will have some sort of drawing or raffle. Bring pre-printed labels or a stamp that includes your name, address, phone number, and email address. You will save a lot of time filling out entry forms and your entry will be guaranteed to be legible. I had to discard my second place winner for a free marriage preparation class because her email and phone number were completely illegible.

Bring a sturdy bag to carry the promotional literature you will be given. Some shows or vendors may provide bags, but usually they are of inferior quality and may rip before the end of the show. Bring a friend or family member to help you carry literature and samples. Some shows may have a show guide where you have to get the vendor listing checked off at each booth in order to qualify for door prizes. Having someone to help with that can save time.

If you are not interested in the fashion show, that is absolutely the best time to visit vendor displays. Most brides will be looking at wedding dresses while you won't have to fight the crowds to see the displays and talk to the vendors. Traffic also subsides towards the end of the show. Some vendors will be happy to provide you with additional samples of assorted items so they don't have to transport them back from the show.

Do not have a meal before going to a bridal show. Not only will you be offered cake samples, but caterers and event venues will be plying you with appetizers. Trust me, you may not even need to make dinner that evening.

Even if you are having a small inexpensive wedding, treat yourself to a bridal show or two if you have access and time. They are a lot of fun and can indeed be a source of cost-saving ideas.

Best Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
http://www.brevardminister.com

Thanks for the suggestions! We are planning to attend a Bridal Show in Toronto and we have been looking for a similar information. I would refer this to my bride.
MsMPVideosMsMPVideosPosts: 5 October 11, 2012
Great suggestions! Some folks at the shows I do shoot cell phone photos of vendor booths they like. You get so much information that your head can swim...So the photos are helpful!
JoyfulPromisesOfficiantsJoyfulPromisesOfficiantsPosts: 82 October 12, 2012
That's also a terrific suggestion! Anything that helps you sort through the information overload afterwards is a definite benefit.
JannyJannyPosts: 8 October 18, 2012
Thanks for information.

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: