40th bday in montreal Messages in this topic - RSS

40th bday in montreal Messages in this topic - RSS

debor597204
debor597204
hi i live in montreal and need to plan a cute party for my husbands 40 th bday
i m thinking about 40 ppl nothing to fancy i have a small buget any ideas
FUSIONpresents
FUSIONpresents
If you're looking for quality live entertainment, go check out the duo at Piano Rouge on Friday nights (St. Paul in Old Montreal). You'll love them.
debor597204
debor597204
thank you
DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Deborita81,

You indicated that you are looking for ideas for a cute party to honor your husband on the occasion of his 40th birthday for a small budget with about 40 special guests. My thinking is to make the party all about your husband and make it as much as a surprise as possible (e.g., you might mention you are having a party, but don't tell him any of the following).

Decorations, Signs, etc:

Posterboards. I would recommend starting by purchasing 40 large sheets of poster board (one for each year of your husband's life.) Decorate each poster board with copies of photos, school work, news clippings, high school sports letters, whatever memorabilia you can find or collect from each year of your husband's life. Alternatively, you could just have 4 sheets of poster board (one for each decade) or 8 sheets (one for each 5 years).

Since you have 40 guests coming, you could assign each guest a poster board and a year rather than doing all of the boards yourself.

Signs. Additionally, ask each guest (or couple) to bring two 8.5 by 11 inch signs on heavy paper (I recommend matte photo paper). The signs could be hand printed or made on a computer using, for example, PowerPoint. The first sign would be a serious, sincere happy birthday sign signed by the guest. The second sign would be a humorous one.

Blindfold.
Also, if your husband is adventuresome, make a nice blindfold that is attractively decorated with his name and happy birthday on the front or get a nice happy birthday bandana.

Invitations: Make a sign with all the invitation details (place, time, RSVP, etc.) Now blindfold your husband with a plain blindfold so he won't see his special blindfold... then position the special one over it for photos. Have your husband hold the sign with all the invitation details. Take photos of your husband with the happy birthday blindfold holding the invitation sign. Hide the sign and special blindfold and photos. The photos can be printed or emailed as your invitation. For some samples, please view the album on SlideShare.

The Menu

Have a four course meal which could be pot luck.
  • Hors d'oeuvre... His Favorite food(s) & beverage(s) from ages 0 to 9.
  • Appetizer... His Favorite food(s) & beverage(s) from ages 10 to 19.
  • Main course... His favorite food(s) & beverage(s) from ages 20 to 29.
  • Desert... His favorite food(s) & beverage(s) from 30 to 39.
The Program

Your husband arrives. Once the guests arrive bring your husband to the party room blindfolded with the special blindfold.

The humorous signs. Take several fun photos of your blindfolded husband and each of the guests holding their special humorous sign. Don't tell him what the signs say. Put the signs in an envelope before you remove your husband's blindfold. Later, print the photos and place them into an album side by side with photos of him holding the signs with his friends, or if you have the equipment project them at your party (or have a second party to view the photos a few weeks later).

The serious signs. Now take a series of photos with each of your guests and your husband and the serious signs. Later, print these photos and place them in an album along with the original signs.

The poster boards. Spend about a minute a year discussing each poster board. Be sure to tell a humorous story and/or a major accomplishment for each year... and maybe tell the most significant event going on in Canada that year. Play or sing his favorite song of the year.

Party Cost

Total cost of this party... very minimal. The cost of a room (possibly in someone's home or a religious institution), minimal raw food cost, poster board and ink.

For more information:
Please let me know if I can be of further help to you. (No charge for telephone consultation.)

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, Ph. D.
Education By Entertainment
debor597204
debor597204
wouuuu thakyou so much for all this ideas
im still looking for a place i live in an apartment and is a bit small to have 40 ppl and im a bit shy to ask someone for there house
for the food it has to be stricly kosher so it can be potluck upset
but the rest are so great again thakyou very much
DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Deborita81,

Thank you for your response. I did not realize that you needed to be strictly Kosher. If I had, I would have suggested asking your synagogue (or JCC) if you could rent (or use) a meeting room. Possibly you could even have some friends get together at the synagogue kitchen and prepare food... Maybe the youth group could help. (You could then make a donation to the organization in honor of the birthday.... and that might cover all costs (except for ink, paper and raw food and be used wisely as well).

You could ask a few of your husband's friends to take him somewhere for the day for his birthday (which also gives you a good excuse for taking the "sign pictures" a few weeks before). Gather other friends at the synagogue... half of you are the decorating committee... half the food committee...

Two options here:
  • On the way home his friends tell him they will be stopping at the synagogue to have a daily minyan service in honor of his birthday. At then end of the service the leader announces there will be a mini-kiddish in honor of your husband's 40th. As soon as you leave the chapel area place the blindfold and bring him to the party.
  • On the way home one of his friends needs to stop at the synagogue (or JCC) to borrow something (possibly a folding table and chairs) so everyone goes in to get the items... Then maybe you show up with the blindfold... wish him a happy birthday... place the blindfold and bring him to his party.
Oh, I forgot to mention the obvious.. take photos and videos....

If I can be of further help please don't hesitate to post questions here or send me a note. You will find my email address by clicking on the link to my Arranging A Presentation web page. Telephone consultation is always free. I can also send you some sign templates if you would like...

(As an alternative to the synagogue venue since you live in an apartment, the thought crossed my mind that you may have friends who live in a condominium or coop. If so, the condominium may have a club house which they could rent at a very low rate if they host the party...)

Ron
DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Deborita81,

I did not mention before by all means you should have a candle lighting ceremony... similar to what you may have at a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Each guest lights a candle and says something nice (and maybe something humorous) about your husband. Since he is 40 and you are having 40 guests, its a perfect match!!! and a great opportunity for the emotional, close photos... You could do this right before cutting a nice birthday cake.

Ron

debor597204
debor597204
thank you so much for all your ideas i have to check in our local shule if we can rent a place
we were going to one but they move so now we are going to a new one so i have to see how thigs are done in there
and most probably i ll do everything myself so i was thinking on a simple menu or buy some
i need to check at the shule if i can cook there like i say im new to the shule
but again i love your ideas i like the posters by age but i dont have pics of him as a young child only since we have been toguether
DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
If the shule doesn't work out think about a JCC or possibly a friend who lives in a condominium which rents the club house.

Possibly his parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, childhood friends, etc. have some pictures.

If so bring your digital camera (or scanner) and make copies of them if they don't want to give up the originals. While asking, maybe they have some examples of his early school work, scout merit badges, high school letters, whatever too...

Maybe you could find high school yearbook...

deborita81 wrote:
thank you so much for all your ideas i have to check in our local shule if we can rent a place
we were going to one but they move so now we are going to a new one so i have to see how thigs are done in there
and most probably i ll do everything myself so i was thinking on a simple menu or buy some
i need to check at the shule if i can cook there like i say im new to the shule
but again i love your ideas i like the posters by age but i dont have pics of him as a young child only since we have been toguether
debor597204
debor597204
do you know of any kosher restaurant that can have 40 ppl and make a party special price ??
i m a bit new in montreal so i m not sure i only know of piza pita but he love meat so it has to be a meat place maybe that way is easier
DrRonShapiro
DrRonShapiro
Hi Deborita81,
Hopefully some people with first hand knowledge will respond... but until then I typed montreal kosher restaurants into Google and saw a respectably long list of restaurants. This may serve as a start for you. Ron

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: