Anyone with ideas for medium sized wedding? Messages in this topic - RSS

Anyone with ideas for medium sized wedding? Messages in this topic - RSS

amynjasonamynjasonPosts: 5 October 16, 2010
Got 130 people attending, not looking on spending to much money on food. But looking for ideas on how to save money.
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 October 16, 2010
Hi Amy,

Before spending any money I suggest that you do the following planning exercise with your fiance:

• Take out a pad of "stickies" or a lot of small pieces of paper and tape. Write everything that seems that it may be important to you on the little pieces of paper (e.g., flowers, gift for guests, photos, videos, live band, etc.).
  • Take a big piece of paper and write importance on the left margin. Write cost on the bottom margin. Draw an arrow going up the middle of the page. Draw an arrow going across the middle of the page.
  • Paste the stickies where they seem to belong on the grid.
  • Look at the grid every day for the next week or so and adjust.
After a few days of not moving anything on the grid you will know where to place your priorities in spending. Don't do anything that is relatively unimportant and expensive. Figure out how to do everything that is important and inexpensive. You may do some of the important and expensive items, just think really carefully about them and ask how you might save money on each of those. It is possible you'll do a few of the unimportant but inexpensive items, but remember doing several unimportant inexpensive items may cost more than doing one more important, expensive item.

If I can be of help, contact me. (No charge for helping with the planning exercise).

Enjoy!!!!!

Ron

Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Education by Entertainment
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 October 16, 2010
Dr. Shapiro's planning excerise is a good one.
I can tell you from experience that a lot of brides and grooms nickle and dime themselves with things they really don't need and do not add anything to the occasion. Aisle runners are a great example. They are an absolute pain. Save your money and don't bother!

Weddings are like Disney World. Wallet sucking machines. We relax our personal spending constrictions and go ahead and purchase things that aren't all that important. Don't ever buy or order something the first time you visit the store or see it on a website. Wait at least two days and then decide if you are still interested in it for your wedding.

If you want to save on the catering budget for a 130 people (which by the way, is not a medium size wedding, you are definitely having a large wedding with that guest list), consider hors'doevers rather than a meal. Or if you have a meal do a buffet rather than plated. A wedding planner can actually help you save money by guiding you through such decisions and probably knowing which caterers are better values in your area. Good ones save you more than you pay for their services.

Best Wishes,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
Guest October 19, 2010
Looking ways to save money is the name of the game nowadays!

I'd say check out every wedding magazine out there in your area. In these magazines there are great diy tips. Also, do some online research on the internet for diy yourself weddings.

Some couples seem to believe that they need a theme for their wedding....NOT! As long as your wedding encompasses what you and your fiance want, balloons or streamers, or bubble machine, or disco ball, remember that its your wedding.

Design your wedding around your needs, wants and wishes, and NOT around your guests!
weddi535404weddi535404Posts: 5 October 19, 2010
Dear AmynJason,
My name is Regina Weber I am Wedding Planner from A Piece of Cake Wedding Design, for brides on a budget.

I specialize in planning weddings on a budget, I can help you in anyway. I work with vendors all over in saving you money. I know you make think that your budget may not let you afford a planner, but you can. I work with vendors to help you save money that you may not no about. That is our business goal to save YOU money!!! A Piece of Cake Wedding Design is a nationwide company. I know that I am not in your area but I would be happy to come to you and help you in anyway I can. My packages are very detailed, I make sure that every little detail gets looked at with a fine tooth comb. Leave all your wedding worries to me and your wedding will be "A Piece of Cake" I look foward to talking to you.

my website: apiececakeweddingdesign.com

My info: Regina Weber
1-877-340-1313 ext 2 (my ext) toll FREE!!!
email: weddingdesignbyregina@gmail.com
NickjNickjPosts: 9 October 20, 2010
Great information dude. And if you want to spend less amount of money in your wedding than firstly prepare a list of guest which are invited by you and prefer off season for your wedding because at that time the wedding packages give more discount on everything.
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 October 20, 2010
I too recommend lists. Do your must haves, would really like, but can live without, and then if we have extra let's do it items. This will help you prioritize. Consider a weekday wedding (venues and vendors are likely to discount since weekends are the popular days). Find sites where others 'recycle' things if that is something you would consider. My thoughts are if you only used it once for your wedding, why not purchase it from you (say your decorations) and use them. Great way to save money.

You can save by not having a plated meal as well. Buffets are actually quite nice. A cash bar is an option too.

Always ask if there are discounts or specials when you talk to vendors. I know I also offer specials and if I am able I'll discount as well.

Hope this helps.

Robbie
Desert Light Weddings
NeotericExpressionsNeotericExpressionsPosts: 41 October 21, 2010
For your list of "Must Haves" as mentioned by Dr. Shapiro, you also may want to ask if there are any early-bird or full paying discounts. Many wedding professionals may do this because it saves them on processing fees, and they can pass the savings on to you. Just a little help that you can use along the way.

As an invitation designer, I am part of a network of professionals and experts who specialize in answering questions such as these, so don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,
Tiffany Dean
http://www.NeotericExpressions.com
Twitter / @NeotericArt
FB: NeotericExpressions
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 347 October 21, 2010
Tiffany,

Excellent Suggestion.

Ron
Dr. Ronald G. Shapiro
Education by Entertainment
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 October 21, 2010
NeotericExpressions wrote:
you also may want to ask if there are any early-bird or full paying discounts.

Hi Tiffany,

I never thought of offering a discount for couples who pay in full at the time of contract. That would be advantageous to me as I am often overlooked when it comes to paying my balance. I find myself too often in the awkward position of having to remind the couple when things are at their craziest immediately before or after the ceremony. This, whether I stipulate the balance to be paid the week before the ceremony or the day of the ceremony. Even when I remind them ahead of time to clip it to the license which they have to give me anyway, more often than not, they forget. I hate asking for money! This would be a wonderful incentive. Thank you for the idea.

So yes, amynjason, definitely use this as a cost-saving idea. You may find you change the way a few vendors do business and end up doing them a favor!

Best Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: