Ideas for weddings for a more mature couple Messages in this topic - RSS

Ideas for weddings for a more mature couple Messages in this topic - RSS

susse532895susse532895Posts: 3 September 30, 2010
I am getting married for the 2nd time, but it is my fiances' first marriage. We would like to have a small wedding with about 50 guests (all family), but I am having a terrible time figuring out how to make the ceremony nice without being too formal. I think I would like to have the ceremony and the reception all in the same place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Celia267624Celia267624Posts: 23 September 30, 2010
First of all, congratulations! I just had the pleasure of officiating for a great couple who had their wedding at a sweet little restaurant on the Hudson river. The vibe was casual, but elegant; the ceremony was right at the restaurant, outside on the patio, and then they went right to passed hors d'oeuvres and champagne. Just about 40 minutes or so later, they all came into the main building for a first dance and then a late lunch. It was so gracious and it fit them perfectly.

If you are in the NY/NJ area, I'd be happy to recommend several charming, friendly restaurants that might be just perfect for you.
susse532895susse532895Posts: 3 September 30, 2010
Well thank you for your post. I am unfortunately not in the NY/NJ area, I am in Texas, but I love the image that you posting gives me so maybe it will be a starting point.
DesertLightWeddingsDesertLightWeddingsPosts: 130 October 1, 2010
susse03 wrote:
I am getting married for the 2nd time, but it is my fiances' first marriage. We would like to have a small wedding with about 50 guests (all family), but I am having a terrible time figuring out how to make the ceremony nice without being too formal. I think I would like to have the ceremony and the reception all in the same place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Congratulations. I would go for a less 'formal' venue maybe something with a garden area for your ceremony and then a nice patio or even an inside room for the reception. Keep your decorations simple (email me outside and I can give you some ideas) and your colors softer. You could go for the plated dinner or if you want even more relaxed do a simple buffet or even appetizers.

You could even have the wedding party dress less formal and invite your guests to be a bit less formal as well (have to be careful on that one...wink )

I have been to weddings where the ceremony is at a small quaint church and then everyone just goes out to dinner too.

If you would like a few ideas on decorations by email is contact@desertlightweddings.com

Robbie
suzette070suzette070Posts: 1 October 1, 2010
susse03 wrote:
I was married for the second time this past July. My husband and myself - both for the second time. We had the ceremony on the ocean-front of our beautiful resort community (home) with only the wedding party, photographer and very close personal friends (15 people). We then returned to our home and had the caterers set up tables with sandwiches, sweets, fruit on the lawn, for 60 people. We timed the party 2 hours after the ceremony to have our champagne and intimate celebration. It was very informal and we had many comments on how much people enjoyed the format and ease of the occasion. We did have a rain venue set up in case, but it was a beautiful day and a wonderful party.

Thanks,
mrsrrjacksonmrsrrjacksonPosts: 7 October 1, 2010
Congratulations to the both of you....I am a planner in Texas if you need one....I don't know which part of Tx your in but, Ft Worth has a wonderful Garden with different settings...It's not to formal and it would also depend on the month your getting married in. If you just need some suggestions in your area I will be glad to give you some or, if you need a planner I would be glad to do the job.
mrsrrjacksonmrsrrjacksonPosts: 7 October 1, 2010
Sorry, if you would like to view my website please be my guest and sign the guest book...www.blessedprosperousunions.vpweb.com
AHEntertainmentAHEntertainmentPosts: 11 October 1, 2010
My ideas are related to "entertainment" for you and your wedding. You would probably want to forego some activities during your reception. Consider doing a "bouquet hand-off" rather than a toss, and forget about the garter altogether. Outdoor weddings are great and often less formal. Concentrate on the social aspect of your wedding more, instead of concentrating on the religious and traditional aspects.

Good luck!
Guest October 7, 2010
There are really no official rules for 2nd or 3rd marriages. These days, it is a "mixed bag." So, if you want a formal wedding, do so. If you want something simple, a beach wedding or garden wedding is appropriate with a simple A-line gown, a lovely feather with diamond broach in your hair, and a smaller bunch of flowers would look beautiful on you. You may consider a day event, like on a Sunday afternoon, and offer a champagne toast with a variety of wines and beers instead of hard liquor. A sunday is a good day because hotels and venues usually charge cheaper rates. You should still get a dj or a small band to play your wedding song and popular music. You can also do a Sunday wedding breakfast on a yacht. Believe it or not, the prices have come down significantly and you can have your ceremony before the ship takes off. And then cruise away and enjoy your reception. Again, the food could be simple, like steak and eggs, other breakfast favorites, with meats, great coffee, mimosas, champagne and a variety of wine. Get some wedding books that focus on your city It may be worth it to pay a wedding planner the $1,000 or so to get it done for you, however, most venues do have an in-house planner, who could help you with simple decor, flowers and meal plan.

Your bridal party could wear shorter dresses, and khaki suits and your hubby could dress in ivory or black, whichever looks best.

Good luck!

Lise'
www.mybelovedwedandart.com

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: