Ideas for Inexpensive Venues Messages in this topic - RSS

Ideas for Inexpensive Venues Messages in this topic - RSS

BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 November 16, 2010
Your budget, the size of your guest list, and seasonal and local availability will all be factors in the selection of venues appropriate for your wedding.

I have yet to see a post asking how to find an outrageously expensive venue, so I'd like to provide a few ideas for locating good value venues based upon my experience officiating over 250 weddings.

1. Civic Centers, Park Pavilions, and other public facilities: Check with your municipal, county and state Parks & Recreation department. Gorgeous historical mansions can be found for a song!

2. Fraternal Lodges: Elk, Moose, VFW, Knights of Columbus, etc.: Look on their national websites to find a location near you.

3. Community Clubhouses (apartment, condo, neighborhood): Ask friends and family who live in communities with clubhouses to sponsor you.

4. Garden Clubs: Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

5. Performing Arts Centers: Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

6. Private Homes: Home weddings can be absolutely lovely, but do come with their own set of challenges because they are not created to be event venues. Here are some ideas for making a home a suitable wedding venue. http://brevardminister.com/tips_for_home_weddings.htm

7. Museums and Art Galleries: You might be surprised at how reasonable a museum or gallery can be, especially if they are not known for being a wedding venue and would appreciate the incremental income. Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

8. Business Meeting Space: Ask friends or family if they work at or know of a business in town that has hall space and might be willing to rent it after hours. For example, my county Board of Realtors has a fabulous meeting area they rent out for weddings at a phenomenally inexpensive rate, but they don't advertise. You have to know they are there.

9. Unitarian Universalist congregations are often willing to rent their space to non-members at reasonable rates. http://uua.org/aboutus/findcongregation/index.php

10. Unusual Venues: Be creative and think about places you have been that might make a nice wedding and/or reception venue. These can be especially meaningful if they are associated with your relationship. For example, I have officiated weddings at a local nursery where the groom shopped frequently (the plants made a naturally gorgeous background), a bowling alley where the bride and groom met and played in several leagues, a zoo where the couple volunteered, and a marina where the couple fished regularly. In a few of these instances, the bride and groom didn't have to pay a dime because the venue wanted the publicity. It never hurts to ask.

11. On Edit: Courtesy of Dr. Ron Shapiro: Colleges, Universities and Independent Schools: Great idea! I've not officiated a wedding at an educational setting, but I was married in a college chapel. Can't believe I didn't even think of the place I was married myself! (Reception in an art museum)

Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, Altavista, Bing, etc.....

Search, search, search

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 335 November 16, 2010
Reverend Fuller,

Great idea to assemble all of these ideas in one place.... The additions that you may wish to make are colleges and universities and independent schools. Ron
CapicuLove1CapicuLove1Posts: 254 November 17, 2010
Great Ideas for venues! This is really helpful. Thanks Rev Fuller & Dr Shapiro!
Lise'
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 February 3, 2011
I have been getting a lot of requests lately for people who want a church wedding in an unconsecrated facility. That's simply a building that used to be a church, but is no longer owned and maintained by a specific denomination or congregation. Thus it does not have regular worship services and is usually much more flexible with respect to scheduling.

I am finding a surprising number of municipalities are taking over these old buildings, rennovating them and renting them out. I have found two in my county and would no longer be surprised to discover more. One of them is not even on the town's website yet with word of mouth being the only advertising. Consequently, couples can pretty much get it any time they want.

It is always worth calling the towns in your area or your county government to inquire if they have, or know of any towns in the area who have, such a facility available for weddings. They are usually referred to as chapels even though they are unconsecrated.

Regards,
Ann
DjTuxDjTuxPosts: 11 March 12, 2011
Fantastic information! Thank you so much!
Guest March 12, 2011
great info, thank you! I'd like to repost this in my blog, with credit of course, if you don't mind.
Guest March 13, 2011
Check out our space for your next party. We will work within your budget and offer great flexibility especially during our off-season (May-Nov). www.thebattersboxdm.com
515-262-5511
BeyFavorsBeyFavorsPosts: 16 March 13, 2011
It may sound crazy but I would add private homes to the list. My home is a 1901 Queen Anne Victorian and I would be so tickled if someone knowcked on my door and asked to have my wedding at my home. I would probably do it for free smile

BeyFavors
http://www.beyfavorandgiftcompany.com
Guest March 14, 2011
My best friend is getting married in september and her budget isn't much at all. I wanna help her out as much as I can and hopefully find her somewhere beautiful to get married. If it was free or even close to free????
Guest March 14, 2011
I regards to above comment....Oh and she lives in Tacoma, WA. If anyone has any ideas email me please gcrawford31@hotmail.com
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 March 14, 2011
BeyFavors wrote:
It may sound crazy but I would add private homes to the list. My home is a 1901 Queen Anne Victorian and I would be so tickled if someone knowcked on my door and asked to have my wedding at my home. I would probably do it for free smile

BeyFavors

Bey, it's number 6 on the list!

Cheers,
Ann
itali639736itali639736Posts: 1 March 14, 2011
My fiance and I have been loooking for a cheap but nice place to have our wedding and reception.. But every place is pretty pricey its out of our budget.. does anyone know of any where around Westerly RI area or even Mystic ct area?? we would love the help if anyone has any for us!!
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 335 March 14, 2011
Hi Italian Becca,

Have you checked with the University of Rhode Island. There are some beautiful places near campus, and the chaplain's office may have some suggestions.

I believe that the girl scouts does rent out Camp Hoffman for special events (off season). It is a nice camp right near URI.

If you head over to Newport I've seen people do weddings at Brenton Point Park. It is beautiful.

If you head to Colt Park in Bristol RI they have a chapel, a covered eating area, etc. Lots of people take their wedding photos there.

Ron
Ronald G. Shapiro, PhD
Education by Entertainment
moodi647434moodi647434Posts: 1 March 14, 2011
I am looking for a nice place to plan my daughter's reception in Brampton for about 80 people but banquet halls too pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice place??
Merry65Merry65Posts: 3 March 15, 2011
My fiance and I are getting married August 20th. We live in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. We are both on disability and so our income is very limited. We are all Country & Western. Any ideas for a venue would really help. Thank you. Merry
vwenn648033vwenn648033Posts: 1 March 16, 2011
Friends got married in a park, they had to have no additional licenses other than their marriage license, beautiful ceremony and best of all it was free
tooti649357tooti649357Posts: 1 March 17, 2011
I'm getting married April 29, and i still don't have a place for my reception. I don't have very much money, and not a lot of time left, any suggestions?
Guest March 24, 2011
Hi Rev. Fuller, I and my fiancee are planning to have our wedding in August and are contemplating venues. We live in New Jersey/New York and are looking for an affordable place where we could have a beautiful outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception. Since our budget is rather limited, we are not really sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or advice? Thank you!
Guest March 25, 2011
I live in Riverdale, GA and I am looking for a place to host my daughter a Sweet 16 party on a very limited budget. However, I would like for it to be nice for 100 to 150 people with dancing space. Any suggestions.
Guest March 25, 2011
Hi, I live in central Indiana between Carmel and Indianapolis...my wedding is Nov. 5. My fiancee and I are trying to save as much money as possible because we have a lot of school loans we want to pay off asap. I was going to have my reception at my church, but there is no dancing there...and we want dancing. Our number is 250 guests...and if possible I'd like to hire a friend to cater...any suggestions???
BrevardMinisterBrevardMinisterPosts: 157 March 25, 2011
For those of you looking for venues in specific locations, I recommend starting a new thread with "_____ (location) Venue Needed" as the title. You will get more visibility for your request and people who know the area can chime in. By putting your request as a response here, you may get less traffic and thus, fewer ideas.

Regards,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
DrRonShapiroDrRonShapiroPosts: 335 March 25, 2011
Subject Line Usage

Reverend Fuller and Others,

Excellent suggestion on appropriately using the subject line. Actually, I wonder if EvenTective would consider starting a new group of forums simply called Venue Needed. Clients could then start their own forum in this group with their location as the subject line. This would serve to direct the posting more appropriately (and also keep these forums more for general discussion). Also, location in many cases transcends type of event. For example, frequently people are looking for a place for a Sweet 16 and for a Wedding reception. In many cases, there may be overlap...

I'm just not sure if they would be willing to do it... because they might perceive this set of forums as competing with their paid business.

Ron
macvi655189macvi655189Posts: 1 March 25, 2011
Thanks. Very helful info.
Guest April 1, 2011
Las Vegas venue needed November 12, 2011 for wedding reception 200-250 people.
bioeventsbioeventsPosts: 1 April 1, 2011
These are all great ideas. Lateley I have been having trouble with the community centers & recreation centers here in Houston, TX either closing down or not renting due to budget cuts. So, it is great to see other options.
mizzk661705mizzk661705Posts: 3 April 6, 2011
Looking for inexpensive venue and reception in the DFW AREA
mrs.y662465mrs.y662465Posts: 1 April 6, 2011
This was Helpful I see things in a new light thanks.
BrevardMinister wrote:
Your budget, the size of your guest list, and seasonal and local availability will all be factors in the selection of venues appropriate for your wedding.

I have yet to see a post asking how to find an outrageously expensive venue, so I'd like to provide a few ideas for locating good value venues based upon my experience officiating over 250 weddings.

1. Civic Centers, Park Pavilions, and other public facilities: Check with your municipal, county and state Parks & Recreation department. Gorgeous historical mansions can be found for a song!

2. Fraternal Lodges: Elk, Moose, VFW, Knights of Columbus, etc.: Look on their national websites to find a location near you.

3. Community Clubhouses (apartment, condo, neighborhood): Ask friends and family who live in communities with clubhouses to sponsor you.

4. Garden Clubs: Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

5. Performing Arts Centers: Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

6. Private Homes: Home weddings can be absolutely lovely, but do come with their own set of challenges because they are not created to be event venues. Here are some ideas for making a home a suitable wedding venue. http://brevardminister.com/tips_for_home_weddings.htm

7. Museums and Art Galleries: You might be surprised at how reasonable a museum or gallery can be, especially if they are not known for being a wedding venue and would appreciate the incremental income. Check your local listings (on-line and yellow pages)

8. Business Meeting Space: Ask friends or family if they work at or know of a business in town that has hall space and might be willing to rent it after hours. For example, my county Board of Realtors has a fabulous meeting area they rent out for weddings at a phenomenally inexpensive rate, but they don't advertise. You have to know they are there.

9. Unitarian Universalist congregations are often willing to rent their space to non-members at reasonable rates. http://uua.org/aboutus/findcongregation/index.php

10. Unusual Venues: Be creative and think about places you have been that might make a nice wedding and/or reception venue. These can be especially meaningful if they are associated with your relationship. For example, I have officiated weddings at a local nursery where the groom shopped frequently (the plants made a naturally gorgeous background), a bowling alley where the bride and groom met and played in several leagues, a zoo where the couple volunteered, and a marina where the couple fished regularly. In a few of these instances, the bride and groom didn't have to pay a dime because the venue wanted the publicity. It never hurts to ask.

11. On Edit: Courtesy of Dr. Ron Shapiro: Colleges, Universities and Independent Schools: Great idea! I've not officiated a wedding at an educational setting, but I was married in a college chapel. Can't believe I didn't even think of the place I was married myself! (Reception in an art museum)

Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, Altavista, Bing, etc.....

Search, search, search

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Rev. Ann Fuller
Melbourne, FL
Merry65Merry65Posts: 3 April 6, 2011
BeyFavors wrote:

BeyFavors
Merry65Merry65Posts: 3 April 6, 2011
May I ask which State you are located in? We live in North Idaho.

Thank you for your post. We wish there were more people like you that are so trusting to open there home to total strangers for their special day. Kudos to you!

Move Thread

Merge Thread

Enter the topic ID: