World’s Most Haunted Castles

March 25, 2008

Steeped in myth and legend, castles have always been popular destinations for lovers of history and architecture. Anyone who has ever visited a castle cannot deny the ambiance and magic of these impressive relics of a time long-forgotten. While castles are fun to visit and often make stunning settings for enchanting events (castle weddings are a celebrity favorite), these ancient places are rife with stories of unspeakable crimes and horrific acts.

It’s called the Dark Ages for a reason. During medieval times, torture was a common practice. Castles were constructed to do more than simply house those in power; they were designed for imprisonment, torture and execution at the whim of whoever happened to be in power. Castle walls and grounds frequently bore witness to unspeakable and inhuman acts of cruelty, carried out with the intention of striking fear and terror into the hearts and minds of the people. Many deaths occurred at these places, but if you dare to take a visit to one of these creepy haunts, you may encounter some souls who are still very much alive…

Chillingham Castle, Northumberland, UK

chillingham-castle.jpg Located deep in the English countryside, Chillingham Castle has been owned by the family of the Earls Grey since the 1200’s, Chillingham Castle has a reputation for being one of the world’s most haunted and most terrifying castles.

Several ghosts are said to reside here, the most famous being “the Blue Boy,” who haunts the castle’s Pink Room. At the stroke of midnight, cries of terror and pain can be heard emanating from a passage in the wall. When the cries fade, it is said that a halo of blue light would appear and the figure of a boy in blue would approach the bed. During a refurbishing of the castle, bones of a boy along with fragments of a blue dress were found in the wall…

Another ghostly resident of Chillingham is the ghost of Lady Mary Berkeley. It is said that you can hear the rustle of her silk dress as she walks the corridors in search of her husband, who ran away with her sister. Chillingham is also said to be haunted by the infamous torturer John Sage:

“It’s the home of the torturers. 97% of everybody who went into that castle didn’t come out. It’s a horrible killing machine.”
YouTube Preview Image
YouTube Preview Image

divider.jpg

The Tower of London

The Tower of LondonThe Tower of London is another famous castle. Located on the banks of the River Thames, the Tower of London is one of Britain’s most visited attractions.

With over 400 years of gruesome history of torture, violence, execution and murder it’s no wonder the Tower is considered to be one of Britain’s most haunted places in addition to being its oldest fortress, palace and prison.

One of the Tower’s most well-known ghosts is that of Anne Boleyn, the famous wife of Henry VIII who he had beheaded in the Tower in 1536. It is said that the ghost of Lady Jane Grey also is at the castle.

People have reported seeing phantom carriages, and dogs are even too afraid to go near the Salt Tower, where royalty used to be held before execution.

YouTube Preview Image

divider.jpg

Edinburgh Castle, Scotland

Edinburgh CastleAnother notorious haunt is Scotland’s Edinburgh Castle.

Over one million visitors come to see the castle every year. Edinburgh is one of the UK’s most haunted cities. Built high upon a non-active volcano overlooking the city, Edinburgh Castle has a history of being attacked and rebuilt.

It is said that Edinburgh Castle is haunted by a Lone Piper, a headless drummer and other restless spirits like French prisoners from the Seven Years War and colonial prisoners from the American Revolutionary War.

The Lone Piper can still be heard playing in the secret tunnels underneath the castle. It is said that you can feel haunted presences in the dungeons, and even see a ghost dog wandering the castle’s dog cemetery.

YouTube Preview Image
divider.jpg

Windsor Castle

Windsor Castle One of the many homes of the Queen of England, Windsor Castle is said to have several ghosts. People have claimed to have seen the ghost of Henry VIII roaming the hallways, and to have heard his footsteps and painful groans.

Another Windsor ghost is that of the Saxon Hunter Herne, who threw himself in front of a stag in order to save the King’s life. His ghost is said to still walk the grounds and gardens with his hounds.

People have reported seeing Queen Elizabeth in the window of the Dean’s Cloister and in the Royal Library. Witnesses say she wears a black gown and a black shawl over her shoulders.

Other ghost sightings include King Charles, Anne Boleyn, and the ghosts that haunt the Long Walk.

Berry Pomeroy Castle

Berry Pomeroy CastleThe ancient ruins of Berry Pomeroy Castle are reputed to be one of England’s most haunted. The castle has several legends.

People claim the castle is haunted by the ghost of Margaret Pomeroy, who was imprisoned by her jealous sister, Eleanor, and consequently starved to death. Legend holds that the sisters were in love with the same man, and Eleanor imprisoned her sister out of jealousy.

Witnesses have seen a ghost known as the White Lady down in the castle dungeon, and she is thought to be Margaret’s ghost.

It is also said that the daughter of a Norman Lord was raped by her own father in the castle. Varying accounts of the legend say that either the girl or her father strangled the resulting child in one of the castles upper rooms. The Blue Lady is thought to be the ghost of the girl who was raped. Creepy!

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image
divider.jpg

Warwick Castle, England

Warwick Castle

England’s Warwick Castle is known for its haunted Watergate Tower, also known as the “Ghost Tower.” Warwick Castle is a breathtaking location overlooking the River Avon.

The most famous ghost said to haunt Warwick Castle is that of Sir Fulke Greville, who was stabbed to death in 1628 by his manservant.

It is said that the castle’s Watergate Tower, also known as the “Ghost Tower” is still haunted to this day by Greville and his manservant. According to legend, Greville’s ghost appears in a portrait that hangs above the fireplace in the study and then roams the Tower’s rooms.

Ballygally Castle, Ireland

Said to be one of the most haunted places in Northern Ireland’s County Antrim, Ballygally Castle is said to be home to a few ghosts. It is said that the ghost of one of the castle’s former residents, Lady Isobel Shaw, goes around knocking on doors of guests and then disappears when the guest comes to open the door.

The ghost apparently finds this very amusing. When alive, Lady Isobel Shaw’s husband locked her in her room where she starved. As a result of this cruelty, she jumped out the window and her ghost still haunts the place.

The ghost of Madame Nixon can also be heard walking around the hotel in her silk dress.

Dragsholm Castle, Zealand, Denmark

dragsholm-castle.jpgToday Dragsholm Castle has been converted into a hotel, but once upon a time it was inhabited by people who still “live” there. Several ghosts are said to reside in Denmark’s Dragsholm Castle.

One ghost is that of a “gray lady” who is said to be a friendly ghost. The white lady is another of Dragsholm’s ghosts, said to have been a noblewoman who had an affair with a commoner and was consequently imprisoned by her father.

A skeleton in a white dress was even found in a castle wall during the 1930s. The third ghost said to haunt Dragsholm is that of the Earl of Bothwell, who was prisoner there for 5 years until he died. It is said that his ghost returns to the castle grounds riding in the court yard with his horse carriage.

YouTube Preview Image
divider.jpg

Bran Castle, Transylvania, Romania

Bran CastlePerhaps better known as “Dracula’s Castle,” Bran Castle in Transylvania was once the home of Prince Vlad Tepes, otherwise known as “Vlad the Impaler.”

Vlad ruled Wallachia by terror during the 15th century, and his legend was the inspiration for Bram Stoker’s Count Dracula.

He got his nickname “The Impaler” because impalement was his favorite method of execution. Thousands of atrocious acts and grisly executions took place here.

Leeds Castle, Kent, England

Leeds CastleLeeds Castle is one of England’s most picturesque castles. It sits on two small islands in a tranquil lake. It has survived for 1,000 years.

Leeds Castle is haunted by a large black dog that is said to be an omen of death. The hound is said to terrorize the castle grounds. Many famous historic figures have lived here, yet none of them have ever been reported to haunt the castle.

These castles have been popular destinations for both amateur and professional ghost hunters, tourists and other curious people hoping to spot a real, “live” ghost. Some castles are available for event rentals or even overnight accommodations. So if you’re curious, take a trip to one of these ancient places, and stay the night…if you dare!

If you like this, share it using Facebook, Twitter, or Email
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • E-mail this story to a friend!

Comments

64 Responses to “World’s Most Haunted Castles”

1. Hao Zhou on March 25th, 2008 8:40 pm

This is really nice article

2. Patti L. Astle on March 26th, 2008 12:37 am

I am impressed with you website. I did not expect my you tube video would be added. This video was recorded when it premiered on tv. Then I forgot about for many years. It was storaged in my mother’s attic. I found it in January 2008 and thought it would be a good idea to place it on you tube. Since, it was collecting dust. I did not think it would make a impact on public. I never dream that it would have so many views. I kept it because, I was told by a psychic in 1989 that I would some day visit chillingham castle in later years. Back then I did understand and I did not believe her. There was no internet and I did not research it. I left it until I watched scariest places on earth. So, I recorded it. Then I thought to myself, “what would possess me to go to this place.” Years have passed and my father passed away in 2005. It made me question life after death and what happens. I became facinated with the human spirit. I never experienced a haunting or seen a ghost. But, apparently in my future I will see one. Do I believe it not really………

3. Jigsaws on March 26th, 2008 3:40 am

Dracula’s Castle is the best, I think. But I don’t believe it’s haunted.

4. techspy on March 26th, 2008 5:47 pm

I have been to Bran castle several times. Tepes never lived there though. He was a prisoner there for a couple days at most, and that is up for debate as well.

5. james on March 26th, 2008 6:10 pm

great set of haunted places….Nice work

6. Jamie on March 26th, 2008 6:15 pm

huhuhuhuhu

7. Djhinn on March 26th, 2008 6:42 pm

Ive been to Warwick and took the haunted tower tour. It was a joke.. Albeit dark and some fog machiens going, some eerie music and people jumping out from behind doors. It didnt feel haunted, nor did anything unusual happen, Aside form the 4 pounds that vanished from my wallet.

8. Al on March 26th, 2008 8:07 pm

As a kid during the 70’s I used to sneak into Chillingham Castle to explore ( it was partially derelict at the time ) Never saw any of the ghosts, but it was pretty damn spooky.

9. Francois Le Berre on March 26th, 2008 10:46 pm

Well, I own a very old haunted apartment in Paris. I and friends of I have been witnesses of ghost phenomenons, and I can assure you it does not feel haunted for the least.
    I did some research and it turns out to be 2 men who were living here manufacturing candles for the King Louis the Fourteenth. Never felt any kind of threat for them being there, never quite explained the phenomenons either. It was as if these kind of things happen all the time, but we get to perceive them at some times only, for whatever reason.

10. blunted on March 27th, 2008 12:07 am

AI

wow, now that sounds like a trip. I was stuck with a forest, and here you are exploring haunted castles during your childhood.

I wish i was dead.

11. Victor on March 27th, 2008 1:10 am

Regarding the Bran Castle, Vlad Tepes only slept one night there. During the dark ages the castle was owned by the merchants of Brasov, who used it as a customs point to collect taxes.

12. Ben on March 27th, 2008 5:40 am

It’s a sort of unwritten rule - ghosts are partial to castles in the UK whilst aliens go towards southern USA…

13. Eugen on March 27th, 2008 5:52 am

Wow, amazing castles.
    I really loved the last one who it’s on a small island.

14. Nel on March 27th, 2008 5:54 am

…except that Bran castle is NOT Vlad Tepes Dracula’s castle or home, rather a home of one of his vassals. But that’s not so romantic or interesting I guess :-)

15. Kaz on March 27th, 2008 10:30 am

I live about 1 mile from Berry Pomeroy castle. Let me tell you - the place is terrifying.

16. Bill on March 27th, 2008 9:56 pm

Someone should add this to Skoovy.com, what a great list.

Bill

17. Jürgen on March 30th, 2008 6:23 am

Who knows some styries about the Castle Hattonchatel Chateau from Lorraine -France.
    It’s dated back to the 9th. century.

18. garry on April 8th, 2008 6:32 pm

I have been to Edinburgh castle many times and have never had the fortune! to see or even feel the presence of the ghost. But I had the misfortune to be at Slains castle a few days ago when it was starting to get dark and it was real scary,

19. Anna on April 12th, 2008 2:32 pm

I really enjoyed this article. It was very well put together, good job!

20. Jefferson Abalo on April 28th, 2008 4:12 am

Goin to those castles are very exciting but with groups, though i have no experience seeing a ghost, i like the idea of stayin there overnight just to prove that there is a ghost. counht dracus place is very much haunted i would say…

21. AHMED NAWAZ AMROHVI on July 19th, 2008 12:55 pm

i m very glad to see this website very very good research

22. Christen Smith on July 20th, 2008 12:21 pm

I had a dream of these castles… In my dreams they look similar to the Edinburgh Castle in Scotland.

23. leslie on July 25th, 2008 12:15 pm

I would love to experience staying overnight in 1 or all. Iam a beliver in Spirits, no Ghost I lived in a 120 yr old home in the mid 1990’s & heard & saw thing & have my entire life . For me it would be a dream come true, to experience something that is so mysterious, so supernatural, & scary & exciting all tied into one. My husband is a non beliver & we argue alot about this subject alot & I would love to show him , just what I personally have experienced & I believe this would be the perfect way to do so, by visiting one of these Castles . If given the chance I would jump in a minute.

24. Terry on August 14th, 2008 12:40 am

I have an interest.I have seen and heard ghosts and spirits too.

25. Sammy Dee on August 26th, 2008 2:42 pm

i have heard that many more castles in denmark are haunted

26. Muhammad asif zia(kuwiat) on August 28th, 2008 9:42 am

wowwwwwwww very interesting….and amazing i glad to see this website and enjoy…..

27. NADEEM ANJUM on August 29th, 2008 5:06 am

This is all ridicules and all superstitions ,No ghost in the world, and this is the fact no one come back after death,

28. Rocktogame on September 8th, 2008 8:46 pm

Kewl and scary and it i was always fascinated with the ghost stories which my grandma use to say but never experienced in reality…….but do you still still belive the ghost really exist…….go check it out if you are????????

29. Marshmellow885 on September 9th, 2008 4:26 pm

Well, i must say, i have never been in a castle before, but i know for a fact that all these places are HAUNTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont expect me to into any of these castles no time soon….. I have seen real ghost sightings, and trust me its scary, its like you have no idea what to do when you see one

30. Susan on September 11th, 2008 9:45 am

I never believed in ghosts until my experience at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania this past summer. I would love to visit England one day and visit some of these wonderful old castles. I do believe now that there is life after death no question about it.

31. Giovanni on September 29th, 2008 9:29 pm

uh huh

32. Divya on October 6th, 2008 6:59 am

Very interesting to those who already have an interest in the supernatural(i do…),but I would like to know how true this history is since many contradicted the information provided,are these facts varified by historians?or archeologists?and are there tours which would take you through all these castles in a single tour?If not for ghosts, it would make a breathtaking peak into history!!

33. Ryan Durham on October 22nd, 2008 12:05 pm

The story I have just read was great. I never thought that the prehistorit castle would be hunted. I am a rich young fellow from America and I am about to book a flight to New Enland to see for myself what people all over the world have seen to. To feel my hair on my neck stand up because I have seen a ghost.

34. Mette on November 5th, 2008 7:44 am

there are many more hountings in Denmark. I cant remember the name of it - but in the center of copenhagen lies a pub. in the basement of this pub they ones found an old graveyard of a sort. the basement was later turned into a place to party at night.
    There has been many stories of strange things going on there doing the night. It was also in TV where they tried to make it go away, but the powers there were too strong so, it is still very hounted..

35. tahira usman on November 9th, 2008 2:15 pm

ya i beleive that there are many gost in the world if humen being exsit then why not gost london tawer when ever i visit this place and i feel scared

36. charity carrillo on November 23rd, 2008 4:57 pm

i really loved seeing all the beautiful castles , it is breath taking and the stories are creepy , gives me chills but every place has some sort of story , whether it is a place behind a love story , or tragedy . i have a question do yo uhave any where the queen marie antionette once reigned? it be nice to see the inside of these castles .

37. El oh el on November 24th, 2008 2:48 am

Ehhh… Awsum… I have been looking for places to take my boyfriend to. Since he is skeptical about the things I see… If I have to scare the crap out of him so he will believe me, shall he never show the slightest doubt in my word again.

He’s such a wuss. I’ve balls of steel compared to him.

38. Michael Griggs on November 26th, 2008 9:30 pm

Great site but I was actually looking for the castle that had the pit (oglette) and the Id that haunts it. Perhaps you can email me and let me know the name of the castle.

39. nick on December 11th, 2008 9:37 pm

i have to get to draculas castal it is impossable i about died

40. Syed Qamber Ali on December 17th, 2008 12:06 pm

Very nice but why mostly England! come over to Karachi and Lahore in Pakistan there are number of haunted houses big or even small but very deadly. the minute you will enter the house you will feel it and see many things happening, sound and live activites etc. I don’t think anyone can spend a night there alone or with a group.

This is my personal experiace.

41. madden 09 on January 8th, 2009 3:12 pm

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Syed Fahad Azam on January 9th, 2009 5:52 am

very nice articles

43. ann on February 19th, 2009 10:25 am

haunted castles r cool

44. RaiulBaztepo on March 28th, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language ;)
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

45. awais on April 2nd, 2009 6:43 am

haunted castles with very nice articles
    awais.info@mail.com

46. Chris on April 28th, 2009 9:27 am

Edinburgh Castle is probably the best i think. I’ve been there once and I really liked it alot. I thought one time i saw something move like a dog or something or maybe a ghost. I don’t really know yet but i can’t wait to go back and do some more exploring

47. Carter on June 16th, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks Chris & Garry for actully being in Edinburgh Castle. I belive its the greatest of them all in haunting, beutey, and greatness. for Edinburgh is my castle. I am the Heir of Edinburgh. You see my 7th great grand father was King james the VI of Scotland. thats why Im here to see if my castle is home to spirits past. It must after all her battles and 900 years of history. So I say HAIL TO EDINBURGH AND HAIL TO THE KING. (the lost king of Scotland)

48. shasha on June 17th, 2009 10:03 pm

I am a true beleiver since childhood and enjoyed the stories whether fact or folklore

49. Dannielle on July 8th, 2009 3:26 pm

I watch a show on channel 61(if you have cable) about these ghost hunters who went to Dracula’s Castle and it was so awesome i almost fell out of my seat. i love that place

50. jaime on August 5th, 2009 3:40 pm

haunted house in spain, calle puput, 11 in la nucia. its spooky !!!. dont miss it

51. cath on August 26th, 2009 4:37 am

wow! i learned alot from this article..great job!

52. Harshit Sood on September 20th, 2009 2:59 am

I do believe in super natural powers but I have a doubt how ghosts can allow people to come over their castles and one more thing how can we make contact with them & free them.

53. mandar on October 26th, 2009 8:52 am

the article is very nice
    ccooooooolllllllll

54. bhoopal raj on November 10th, 2009 7:14 am

i liked the stuff i really wish i could see something like that one day and post it here buti liked all the castles history and their artitecural style. kinda spooky even on the net great going

55. Mani on December 3rd, 2009 1:43 am

Hi Guys

I haven’t been to any of these castles but i have experienced pressence of ghost and i am not really bluffing and lying.I have experienced only once in my life when i was just 19years old now i am 33yrs old.And it was a lady in white dress and i have seen her from distance ,she looked like she is walking on the ground but when i noticed the speed i realised it wasn’t walking , it was more like flying but feet weren’t touching the ground and was coming towards our house and i was so scared that i just ran and went inside the house and closed the door.I switched on all the lights and took my parents ,my cousins on the terrace with torches and lights and there was nothing close by. Back then was we used to live in a farm house so it’s easy to spot a person even from distant in bright moon light.Since then i believe that there is something called Ghosts.

56. heidz on January 6th, 2010 3:46 am

I’ve never ever experience ghost in my life, but i do bit curious on how they manage to be seen by people and how they respond. But what exactly amaze me was the story of those beautifully created castle. .. Creepy whatever, for me its the best pictures and home a people can live.. LONG LIVE ROYALTY… its always good to feel that Queens and Kings, princes and princess live in you called Haunted castles.. Because its beautiful, maybe that why the previous residence cannot leave even they are in the other world.

57. Анна on February 28th, 2010 2:00 am

This pictures and historys very interesting. Exelently!

58. me on March 13th, 2010 7:47 pm

creepy!!! it would be terrifying to see a ghost.

59. Tina Pomeroy on April 8th, 2010 5:54 pm

Very neat website, always trying to find new info on the “old family castle” Berry Pomeroy Castle. Like the youtube video’s, added bonus!

60. manish rao on May 21st, 2010 8:24 am

really wants to spend one day on each castle.

61. pamela on May 29th, 2010 5:01 pm

I HAVE NEVER BEEN 2 HAUNTED CASTLE!!!! NOT,THAT I WOULDNT… I WOULD LOVE TO… JUST HAVENT HAD THE CHANCE!!! I BELIEVE IN GHOSTS!! I THINK I WOULD BE AN AWSOME AND COMPLETELY UNFORGETABLE EXPERIENCE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE PARANORMAL ACTIVITY FIRST HAND, WITH MY OWN EYES.. I WOULD LOVE TO VISIT THE CASTLE SOMEDAY AND BE ABLE TO EXPLORE THE PAST N HISTORY… IM SO INTO ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH THE PARANORMAL!! I KNOW THAT IF I DID SEE A GHOST I WOULD PROBABLY BE SCARED,,,, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE THE CHANCE!!!! **********GHOSTGURL**********

62. Zack on August 9th, 2010 2:13 pm

I liked learning about all that it was very interesting.Good job on describing all the ghosts u could.

63. Bogdana on March 3rd, 2011 10:31 pm

I’m from Romania,and I would like to imform you that all the things about Vlad Tepes are true.He realy was cruel,but justice ruled those times ! And it’s true,he never lived at the Bran castle! And all that vampirish craps are just legend!

64. william on June 24th, 2011 11:54 am

im 28 and ive lived in haunted house asa matter of fact i live in one right now i live in alabama we see spirits ghost, peopl calls our names when ur alone in the house we have a couple of demons as well ive seen a few times things levitate , move on their own
    float all kinds of stuff . i could tel u storys that would make yalls skin crawel im into ghost and spirits and demons i see them and hear them and feel them breath down my neck

Got something to say?