See 3000 stars, travel the solar system, learn about current astronomical discoveries, hear the mythology of the constellations, and talk with our staff astronomers in Connecticut’s most sophisticated and advanced planetarium. The Gengras Planetarium is home to a Spitz Space Transit Projector, affectionately known as “Stella”. In operation since 1968, “Stella” has exposed over a million people to the wonders of the night sky. In addition to “Stella”, the planetarium canvases the 40 foot dome with astronomical images using numerous video, slide, and special effects projectors to take visitors on a trip into the night sky and beyond.
We have a regular schedule of public astronomy shows, offer programs for school field trips, provide outreach with a STARLAB Planetarium, and offer evening telescope viewing and festive star parties.
Photos published with permission of The New Children's Museum West Hartford
Have the entire universe at your disposal in Connecticut's largest space theatre.You'll get:
- A planetarium show of your choice. Choose from a library of over 30 planetarium shows covering all age ranges with a variety of topics and music.
- An interactive live tour of the night sky by one of our professional astronomy educators.
- Use of the theater's multimedia systems for presentations. Systems include: LCD & BARCO projectors, slide carousels, 40 foot dome projection area, VCR, DVD, BETACAM, LaserDisc, PowerPoint, microphone, CD & tape player, 8 speaker sound system.
- Star Station OneTM Gallery for hors d'oeuvres and beverages.
Supported Layouts and Capacities
Capacity: 149 People
- Audio Visual: Built-in AV Equipment